Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any New Years Resolutions directly related to Motorcycles, riding, wrenching, etc.

I'm no longer big on personal resolutions, 'cause I rarely keep 'em for long, but maybe if they were bike related...?

I have two:

• I resolve to use my bikes more for everyday, "ride to work" purposes.
  • I resolve that I WILL ride to the Grand Canyon this year via Route 66, no excuses, no kop-outs.
Anyone?:D

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
My '09 Bonnie needs some mods. I bought her new in Sep '09 and have 23K miles on the clock. She is dying to be tricked out a bit. That's my resolution.

She needs:

1. AI removal, the permanent kind.
2. New pipes
3. Maybe airbox removal (jury is still out on that)
4. Upgraded rear shocks

I already ride about 1000-1200 miles per month (between two bikes) but yeah, some longer trips are in order for sure.

H

·
0 Posts
Not only do I hope to ride more I have decided that I need to mellow out a bit and spend more time contemplating the lent in my belly button. Lots to be learned there.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
+2, lefty....need more ride time...hmmmm...now to plotting new routes for the new year.

derswede
I'm with you on this...I want to ride more to parts of the country I didn't get to last year. Although I clocked almost 12,000 miles between my 2 bikes last season enjoying some superb solo road trips and some group rides, I'm currently planning this seasons possibilties. More of Colorado, Wyomimg..Yellowstone for sure, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and perhaps a trip to SoCal. Now it's a matter of finding the time....good luck with your planning and be safe.

Bob

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I resolve to take a week to tour on my Bonneville. Its a resolution I will likely keep as work is furloughing us for a week unpaid. Tough times. But I have already made up the lost $$ from a fortuitous freelance job so no real worries there and I can pick whatever week I want to go. Its like kismet. :)

My annual 3 day labor day weekend ride up in the Adirondacks and Vermont was cancelled last year due to the disastrous flooding from Irene which wiped out much of my planned route. So that may be my destination, in light of the extra time I might extend to the coast of Maine, or perhaps take an altogether different direction. Suggestions welcome.

The second resolution is to finally do something about the nagging pull I feel for a dual sport type motorcycle. I have been fighting this for a few years now. Unlike my first resolution this one is complicated by financial conflicts as I am paying for 2 kids in college right now. But if I can pick up some more freelance work, that could very well resolve. My first instinct here is Husquavarna TE or maybe a KLR650. Hell, even a DRZ400.

I also want to cafe the old Suzuki that has been sitting in my garage. Nobody wants it, but its a pristine little GS250 that runs ace so unless I can find a good home for it, it wll get a new seat and handlebars, exhaust and airbox delete and a lithium battery. In this regard, I just can't help myself. Once I pick up the wrench..I suppose if money is tight I could kill 2 birds and scramblerize it. It does have the lowest 1st gear ever and its light and tough. And I have the original spoked wheels for it. Not too much grunt though.

I have been getting into electric bicycles as well, I built a budget ebike last month out of an old 10 speed and a junked razor dirtbike. It worked well enough that I want more. I'm thinking an electric mountain bike with real power. :D
Here is a short clip of the home made ebike in motion -

Thats all.
Not much really.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
I'm going with: ride more, drink less.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Good question.
#1: I resolve to return to my motorcycle roots and take the plates off my truck this spring and ride my bike everyday.
#2: take my Scrambler and ride for 15 days down (and back) to the Moab and all points in between. No set route. no set schedule. Stop where ever I want.

It's going to be a long bloody winter.
Owen
Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I resolve to get my knee down on the track this year!!

.....I also resolved to do it last year without success.

...and the year before, for that matter.

FAIL!

·
30,008 Posts
The plan is to get some of these more straightforward projects done and out the way, while at the same time making a start on the Matchless, which needs frame painting etc, plus I need to start acquiring parts, before I can wrench. So basically 2012 is to be spent doing a lot of prep work on the Matchless, so that NEXT winter I can begin some actual assembly. So that's another resolution.

And you can't have it. Gerroffit.

·
Registered
796 Posts
> At least double our annual mileage. (pretty easy)
> Learn a panic stop technique for my old full drum brake Sportster!
> Improve my cornering skill and actually scrape something.
> Increase my interstate comfort level and cruising speed.

(Ms B is hard to keep up with! :D. )

Ms B's:
> Tame the beast!
> Take a long all day ride. Maybe an overnight.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I resolve to learn to wrench more on my bikes. I'm getting better every year but have a ways to go still.
As for spending more time on the bikes that might be hard, I barely 'drive" as it is.
This spring I'll be tagging a bunch of new states on the bike. Looks like a trip to the Smokies, Ozarks, down to the pan handle and back up the coast. Add in 3 missed NE states and I'll only have 11 lower 48 states left to visit on 2 wheels. For some odd reason I'm looking forward to Alabama and Miss. the most on the spring trip.
:kumbaya

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Same as every other year. Keep it upright. Keep it fun.

·
Registered
215 Posts
For some odd reason I'm looking forward to Alabama and Miss. the most on the spring trip.
:kumbaya
Hey man, don't forget about us down here in "Cajun Country!" We have more than a fair share of decent riding, wonderful hospitality and unforgettable cuisine! If you don't believe me, just ask me! Lol!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts