Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a number of you can hardly believe they're are people like me who attempt to perform maintenance or mods on our bikes without a lift or stand of any kind. Well, I've had enough of it myself and I'm looking to purchase a jack that will provide good stability, the ability to move my bike around the garage and put it into a tight space for storage, durability...and at a price that I can stomach. Yep...I want it all. With that said I've been shopping, and I've come across one that I think might fit the bill. Naturally, I would like some feedback from the RAT gallery before I pull the trigger.
Have any of you had any experience with the J&S brand of motorcycle jacks or the J&S company out of Wisconsin? Maintenance or mods I'm looking to do are minimal, but would include oil changes, tire changes, exhaust pipe swaps (any mods for that matter) and general cleaning.

I would appreciate your feedback

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks pretty good.A lot of money. I spent 69.00 on the sears jack,does the job for me. I also got the the little work stool which I love.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is more money than what I had originally set out to spend. I guess my biggest concern with this type of jack is stability. And this one seems to address that with priority. I would consider a table lift, but they are generally more dollars and take up way too much room in my limited space garage. the Sears jacks look the business, to be honest, I can't tell from the specs what would make one more stable over the other when the bike is lifted. I've read a few reviews of the whole thing toppling over when the bike is tied down, and this would be a nighmare or course

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Jacks

The Searsjack is the cheapest $$ wise. There are othere out here thast will do the same thing. I dontr know how I got along w/o onre before! Harbor freight has one as well cheap. I think some are made by the same co's. Whatever- use the safety legs & tiedowns if necessary! The xtra piece of mind. You WILL love it when you 1st get it!! The Sears one has/ had a lifetime warranty. A biggy for me since I got mine from the trash! They fixediyt for free!! Good luck & ENJOY!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bike jack vs swingarm stand..?

I have a jack, basically the Harbor Freight type that i found at Pep Boys. It's ok, a bit awkward, and the balance point is really critical for stability, because it picks the front wheel up.
I was wondering how the swingarm stands are to work with in comparison to a jack? They seem like they would be light and easy to store. I mostly am interested in using it for chain maintenance and rear wheel cleaning.
Does anybody have both for comparison?

·
30,527 Posts
Davidc - yes indeed - I am planning on getting one of those one of these days. I used to have one very similar in the UK - it was great. Mine was home made - welded up out of 2" x 2" steel box secion, and had a simple cable winch system to lift it up. Inexpensive, and strong as hell.

Maybe I should just make one. That's not a bad idea really.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a jack, basically the Harbor Freight type that i found at Pep Boys. It's ok, a bit awkward, and the balance point is really critical for stability, because it picks the front wheel up.
I was wondering how the swingarm stands are to work with in comparison to a jack? They seem like they would be light and easy to store. I mostly am interested in using it for chain maintenance and rear wheel cleaning.
Does anybody have both for comparison?
I have the Cycle Cat swingarm stand. Cobined with my Condor front wheel chock it is a one man operation.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got the Pep Boys MC jack on sale for $49.95 & used it on a couple of different bikes including my Bonnie for things like oil changes, changing cans, etc. It has wheels so I just roll it out of the way when done. Don't overspend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts