Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm blessed by having a fleet of customized motorcycles. And I'm cursed by having to insure the buggers each year. After many year of loyal service from my (now Ex) State Farm agent, he decided to retire. His replacement does not impress me so I began shopping around.

I got quotes from everyone and anyone selling MC insurance. Stumbled across Dairyland Insurance who's web site promoted the "lowest prices in Michigan." I went through the 20 minute quoting process with their agent only to be ultimately told "we no longer insure MC's in Michigan. w.t.f?

Some companies like Progressive will not -fully- cover a ground-up custom bike like one of my V-Twins. No comp or collision.

I finally landed at Nationwide Insurance and I'm happy I did. The set-up process was quick and they offered discounts for being an AMA member and having a fork lock on my Ducati. Ultimately, I got two bikes insured for not much more than what I was previously paying for one bike's coverage.

/M

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I finally landed at Nationwide Insurance and I'm happy I did. The set-up process was quick and they offered discounts for being an AMA member and having a fork lock on my Ducati. Ultimately, I got two bikes insured for not much more than what I was previously paying for one bike's coverage.
I'm going to keep that in mine as my 1200cc Triumph's premium with Progressive doubled after trading in the Street Triple, even after my former salesman said (in your best HeeHaw character voice) "No, the premiums will go down - this bike as more safety features... uh-huh."
Like I said, I'll certainly look at Nationwide when it's time to renew. Foremost quoted me half of what Progressive is asking. They seem all over the board - might be dependent on who you ask on what day...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Curious what the salesguy's retirement has at all to do with the insurance? Unless you are making claims, why would you even know his name, let alone that "your agent" retired?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Curious what the salesguy's retirement has at all to do with the insurance? Unless you are making claims, why would you even know his name, let alone that "your agent" retired?
That's almost absurd to me to read. I've been with the same insurance agent since I was 16 years old. I talked to the guy nearly every month and I know his family along with his daughter who will take over the business when he retires. This guy was my father's insurance agent for probably 15 years before I started with him. The agent and his competence is the reason I stay with State Farm. I know he will always give me the best prices and take care of me when I need it. With a collection of bikes and my habit of buying and selling often its so great to know that I'm always covered no matter what I do.

I once had a new bike get blown over in the wind and take-on about $9000 damage - all of this happened before I called him to tell him I had bought it. It was covered.

We recently moved out of state and had to get a new agent. It's just not the same and the level of trust is not the same. I would rather have a friend as an agent than a faceless corporation.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's almost absurd to me to read. I've been with the same insurance agent since I was 16 years old. I talked to the guy nearly every month and I know his family along with his daughter who will take over the business when he retires. This guy was my father's insurance agent for probably 15 years before I started with him. The agent and his competence is the reason I stay with State Farm. I know he will always give me the best prices and take care of me when I need it. With a collection of bikes and my habit of buying and selling often its so great to know that I'm always covered no matter what I do.

I once had a new bike get blown over in the wind and take-on about $9000 damage - all of this happened before I called him to tell him I had bought it. It was covered.

We recently moved out of state and had to get a new agent. It's just not the same and the level of trust is not the same. I would rather have a friend as an agent than a faceless corporation.
Putting aside your personal friendship with your insurance agent...

The price you pay is determined 100% by the insurance company's computer system. An insurance agent is essentially a car salesman. Sure, it's nice to get a competent, friendly one, but ultimately the salesman has absolutely no bearing on the price or features of your new car.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have stayed with State Farm, even at their prices, if my old agent had not retired. Yes, the agent makers a huge difference. Got my car renewal notice in the mail today. Guess I'll give Nationwide a call.

BTW... I was asked by each co. if I had antilock brakes and an anti theft device. I assume there is a discount for each. Now, by definition, your fork lock qualifies as an anti theft device. Also if you have completed a safety course, which I did back in the 80's, but do not have a receipt to prove it. Back to school for me.

/M

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Putting aside your personal friendship with your insurance agent...

The price you pay is determined 100% by the insurance company's computer system. An insurance agent is essentially a car salesman. Sure, it's nice to get a competent, friendly one, but ultimately the salesman has absolutely no bearing on the price or features of your new car.

All true, but where a good relationship with your agent comes in handy, is "going to bat for you" when it is claim time. An indifferent agent led me to an attorney's office and him threatening to sue SF, to get the coverage a family member had been paying for, low those many years.

I never see my agent, but if I buy another used bike, I call him up and let him know. I have 30 days before I have to call him with the VIN and current mileage. That is a SF feature, not an agent feature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts