Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going traveling soon, and so along with all of my other stuff, I'm planning on putting my beloved T100 in storage for about seven months. Everything I've read about storing bikes says that you should leave the gas tank full with a fuel stabilizer to avoid getting rust inside your tank. However, the storage places that I've talked to have all said "the motorcycle would be fine as long as you drain the gas, it's a fire hazard."

Any suggestions? Maybe I could take the fuel tank off and leave it at my friend's place in the basement, full of gas and stabilizer? That sounds like a pain, though, and I've never taken my gas tank off before. The most mechanical thing I've done is a brake job...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Well, the easiest thing really is to drain the fuel. Unless the storage facility is practically dripping with excess humidity, and/or you've badly scuffed up the inside of the tank, rust is simply not going to be an issue.

A dry tank and drained carbs is actually the preferred method for long term storage--as long as the environment is sufficiently dry. Fuel stabilizer was invented as an alternative for those who wanted to keep their vehicles at home or elsewhere under conditions that might be less than ideal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts