Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use a garage mat under my Bonnie, which is good for any grime/oil etc dropped. But is there a product you can soak the mat in to prevent chrome rims etc from rusting eg. a rust inhibiter / oil that protects the bike from dampness. Plan to store the bike in my garage with a cycle cover over it. Any ideas???
:hmmmmm

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't think it works that way... maybe there's something you could coat the chrome in to protect it from pitting, I don't know. My advice would be to get a good dehumidifier for your garage, and to make sure that the cycle cover "breathes" rather than anything that's going trap moisture (the way a tarp would), otherwise the cover will only accelerate the rust.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I don't think it works that way... maybe there's something you could coat the chrome in to protect it from pitting, I don't know. My advice would be to get a good dehumidifier for your garage, and to make sure that the cycle cover "breathes" rather than anything that's going trap moisture (the way a tarp would), otherwise the cover will only accelerate the rust.
+1, good post.

Plasma

·
Registered
148 Posts
I give my bike a WD-40 bath before storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LAM

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
This is what I do as well and have never had any problems.
Just had a discussion about this with a pal. This is NOT the purpose of WD-40. He didn't believe me and had to research for himself.

WD-40:

“When it dries it leaves a varnish that attracts moisture in the air. That is what leads to rust. I have seen guns sprayed with WD-40 then stored away for a year or so that were one solid mass of rust, completely ruined. It does displace moisture until it dries out."

Had that happen to my Browning Medalist in the '60's stored inside its presentation case indoors! :eek:

Told him to use ACF-50 which he will now do.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
When I lived in the NE USA I had to store a bike and a sports car in the garage every winter.

Make sure as others have noted that you get a breathable, i.e. an INDOOR cover. Unless the garage floor is actually damp you really shouldn't have an issue with that much moisture from the floor and the breathable cover will not trap it because it isn't waterproof.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Boeshield T9 ........... this is a similar product to the ACF 50.

Designed by Boeing to prevent Rust/Corrosion on stored planes/parts.

"Rust Emitters", as mentioned by the OP, work very well ................. in small spaces.
I have used them for years in my gun safe.
NOT the thing for a garage.

T9, or ACF 50 are the ticket for this.
The other advice is sound as well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just had a discussion about this with a pal. This is NOT the purpose of WD-40. He didn't believe me and had to research for himself.

WD-40:

“When it dries it leaves a varnish that attracts moisture in the air. That is what leads to rust. I have seen guns sprayed with WD-40 then stored away for a year or so that were one solid mass of rust, completely ruined. It does displace moisture until it dries out."

Had that happen to my Browning Medalist in the '60's stored inside its presentation case indoors! :eek:

Told him to use ACF-50 which he will now do.
I use it during the winter months and have no problems with spokes or even the wd40 drying out. It probably takes a little longer for it to dry out than a few months. My dad's next door neighbor is a bike mechanic and he stored his old Norton for over 7 years with wd40 on all of the metal parts and when he finally pulled it out it was in great shape. I also use it for cleaning the bike around the engine and where the chain throws wax but I don't think that I have ever used it for lubricating anything....

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Cardboard boxes work for me and a couple old blanket.

Or start picking up roadkill and skin the buggers then throw those down on the garage floor. That'll make the place really look like a proper man cave.

I know a guy that covered his entire driveway with crushed beer cans, after he got tired of the gravel. He's dead, liver gave out. He was my drinking buddy, we would get drunk and shoot beer cans out of each others hands.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I want to use a garage mat under my Bonnie, which is good for any grime/oil etc dropped. But is there a product you can soak the mat in to prevent chrome rims etc from rusting eg. a rust inhibiter / oil that protects the bike from dampness. Plan to store the bike in my garage with a cycle cover over it. Any ideas???
:hmmmmm
Save your money on mats and ACF50. I use that for day to day cleaning/protection when the bike isn't in storage. For long term storage I've been using one of these for years on a few bikes and it never fails:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vac-Bag-D...033700?hash=item20eee67364:g:hXoAAOSw~bFWGMo1

It is easily cleanable if any oil gets dropped. Obviously, like with a cover, long term storage also means removing the battery and putting it on a tender, and draining the tank.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Or start picking up roadkill and skin the buggers then throw those down on the garage floor. That'll make the place really look like a proper man cave.
You need to be careful doing that. I had a drinking buddy that died from wiping his a$$ on a poisoned rabbit skin.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
You need to be careful doing that. I had a drinking buddy that died from wiping his a$$ on a poisoned rabbit skin.
What the .................... :surprise:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts