Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you guys used? I have heard some people like the dowco guardian. What size would the speedmaster use?

·
30,527 Posts
The genuine Triumph covers are very nice:

And they have a big Triumph logo on them. Not that much more expensive than generic ones really, and they are good quality.

Mine is on a Bonneville, but the speedmaster one is similar.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great picture. I love the motorcycle next to the dinner table thing you have going on there. I don't think you even need a cover in that location.

I don't want a triumph one though. Is there anybody that has a different one? I just get the impression that genuine Triumph stuff is way over priced. Maybe I should check them out though anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Nelson-Rigg Falcon Defender for my Speedmaster. According to their size chart the Large should fit, but when I tried that it was a bit tight so I got an X-Large. This is much easier to get on if little baggy, but the elastic is still plenty tight enough that it won't blow off. I plan to add saddlebags eventually so will need the extra room anyway.

But these covers are waterproof and worked well on my other bike when I had it outside all last summer. Also, the Large fits a Bonneville perfectly, my husband has one on his.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...n-Rigg-Falcon-Defender-400-500-600-Cover.aspx

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use a Guardian cover on my America. I like it and have no problem with scratches. One tip my dealer told me and I am glad he did is to take a paint pen and mark right front/left front and right rear/left rear on each corner. Makes putting the cover on at night with little light very easy.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The genuine Triumph covers are very nice:

And they have a big Triumph logo on them. Not that much more expensive than generic ones really, and they are good quality.

Mine is on a Bonneville, but the speedmaster one is similar.
I agree...very nice. Prop...have you stored your bike out in the garage with that cover? Reason I ask is...I had the cover that came with my new Bonny...not a Triumph cover....and it seemed to trap moisture under it...not good. I came home after a business trip and my bike was pretty wet...so that cover isn't going back on the bike. I only keep the bike in the garage and wondered how well the Triumph brand cover breaths? Concrete as you know in the spring is porous and will wick moisture up through the ground. Can you lend any insight?
I really don't care about repeling moisture from the outside in terms of rain protection...looking for something that will breath from the inside if that makes sense.
Thanks,
George

·
30,527 Posts
I do use this one in the garage. It is the triumph dust cover, rather than the all weather cover, so it is made of a nylon type fabric, which is naturally breathable. I have never experienced any dampness getting on the bike with it. I have to be careful using it in spring, only because the Chipmunks all decide where they are going to live for the year, and they will sneak under it and try and make nests on my bike if I leave it for more than 2 days at a time. :mad:

I just make a point of pulling the cover off every day.

Also, this Triumph cover has a zipper / velcro setup at the backend, so that it can be expanded out a lot to cover luggage and suchlike. It's a nice cover, I'm glad I bought it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
No problems with Chipmunks here.

All we have to be concerned about are Snakes, Cane Toads & Redback Spiders (Black Widow to you).

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I do use this one in the garage. It is the triumph dust cover, rather than the all weather cover, so it is made of a nylon type fabric, which is naturally breathable. I have never experienced any dampness getting on the bike with it. I have to be careful using it in spring, only because the Chipmunks all decide where they are going to live for the year, and they will sneak under it and try and make nests on my bike if I leave it for more than 2 days at a time. :mad:

I just make a point of pulling the cover off every day.

Also, this Triumph cover has a zipper / velcro setup at the backend, so that it can be expanded out a lot to cover luggage and suchlike. It's a nice cover, I'm glad I bought it.
Thanks Prop. Do you have a suggestion where to pick one up on line?
Thanks again,
George

·
Registered
1 Posts
What have you guys used? I have heard some people like the dowco guardian. What size would the speedmaster use?
There are many types of breathable fabrics available. The big difference in price between the cheap covers (and tarps) and the good covers is due to the breathable fabrics. Never ever cover a bike with a non-breathable cover. Condensation build-up under the cover can do lots of damage.

I have the max cover from empire its a 3 layer cover made from Tyvek developed by DuPont.

http://motorcycle-covers-review.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use a Guardian cover on my America. I like it and have no problem with scratches. One tip my dealer told me and I am glad he did is to take a paint pen and mark right front/left front and right rear/left rear on each corner. Makes putting the cover on at night with little light very easy.
what size you suggest for speedmaster

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Nelson-Rigg Falcon Defender for my Speedmaster. According to their size chart the Large should fit, but when I tried that it was a bit tight so I got an X-Large. This is much easier to get on if little baggy, but the elastic is still plenty tight enough that it won't blow off. I plan to add saddlebags eventually so will need the extra room anyway.

But these covers are waterproof and worked well on my other bike when I had it outside all last summer. Also, the Large fits a Bonneville perfectly, my husband has one on his.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...n-Rigg-Falcon-Defender-400-500-600-Cover.aspx
What size di you get for your speedmaster, I am thinking of getting one but need to know what size I should get?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
jcihouski, do you have a windshield on your Speedmaster? I do on my America. I think mine is an X-Large and it fits well. It's packed away at the moment so I can't verify the size but I had the next size down on my previous Bonneville (with Flyscreen) and it was just a bit too small for the America with shield.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the Factory cover $154 and it's well worth it. This is the heavy duty one and it has vents and a pocket that unzips for the back rest.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
fd.sheriff, do you have, or might you add a windscreen(fly, summer or large)? That could have some effect on your choice of size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts