Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 78 140 has a small issue i have grown accustom to for ever but i would like to figure this out if at all possible.

When coming to a sudden stop as if the light just turned red and i really need to be on the front brake and clutch, the rps sometimes fall off to the point that the bike can stall.

Almost as if when the front end dips, that somehow works against the crank spinning and the motor looses just a little too much and wants to die.

I actually have to twist the throttle before i come to a complete stop during this to prevent the stall for a few rev's

Has anyone ever noticed this or anything like this?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
My quick guess would be that your clutches are hanging up just a bit. Do you ever have a problem finding neutral? You could try bringing the bike up to speed then put it in neutral and simulate a panic stop. That would help determine if the clutches are lugging on the engine or not when in gear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think I have any more or less difficulity finding netural than I would on any other bike.

i will try what you said about simulating the pannic stop but i dont think i will be able to go from 4th or 5th gear down to netural in a straight shot to easy.

there is 2 type of cinerao's for aggressive stopping that i do.

#1 is down shift and brake hard. work through the gears and let the motor help with the rear wheel as the front disk dose just fine.

#2 hold the clutch in and brake.

when the second one happens it seems to cause the problem.

I have a barnet clutch in it, and i know the plates can and will stick together from the oil as creates a vaccum between them in the primary. But any load is strong enough to brake that vaccum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts