Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal. My 2000 tt600 bent a vavle due to the owners before me not doing maintance. So what should i do? its hard to find tt parts so any ideas? should i put in a S4 motor i know they have a better mid range from what i read. Are the cams the only differnce? Are S4 parts just as hard to find?

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
The only difference in the engines, mechanically, is the cams. S4 cams do have more midrange power, but TT600s have better torque. From my experience, there is really no difference in part availability. What does the piston look like? If it is not badly damaged, I'd be tempted to find a used head before getting another engine.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
a little heads up.

if you replace the head you might want to check the connecting rod as well.

my dads a mechanic and told me the same thing when my tt dropped a valve.

granted the engine had alot of other damage anyway but it was bent. you could just barely see it so it had to be bad.

if it was a hard contact, double check the cam chain, mine stretched alot.

all total i spent somewhere near $800 putting it back to gether

good luck

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
The only place you are going to find parts for the internal is through a dealership or bikebandit.com. TRat.net members get a 10% discount at bikebandit, so that is your cheapest place to get gaskets and any other hard parts parts like a cam chain.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Because of your question and others', this sticky thread has been created. Let us know how it goes. Discounts Thread

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
a little heads up.

if you replace the head you might want to check the connecting rod as well.
Good point. A connecting rod coming apart is what killed my 2001. They do indeed fail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts