Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 rally sprint is starting to have some serious issues. Help!

I have almost 44K miles - most doing LD rides, rallies and commuting, and although they have not been easy miles - they are not exactly track days.

I have had several issues with the oil seal in the stator cover letting a lot of oil pass, now it is blowing oil all over my boot again. Been here - re-done this already 2x.

I took it into have the shop fix it this time as I an pretty busy, and they said the balancer output shaft has a very minor grove in it and their only solution was to replace the shaft. $2000 for taht service. I know I can have a slightly smaller seal made or get a double seal, but I really do not think this is the real issue.

I put a clear breather hose on it, and there is a lot of oil coming out - ven with a new seal. I set up a catch can system to get most of it before it gets to the air box, but there is quite a bit going up the tube. It is also blowing a lot of smoke. Like a fog maching at times.

My concern is that there is something more seriously wrong. I do not think there is a head gasket issue as the water level has always been pefect, but I wonder if a ring is bad letting too much pressure get past - causing all the oil to blow out into the vent?

Basicall the shop said $280 to patch it up and the recomended $2000 to fix the shaft. :eek:

Any one here have ani idea why it is passing sooo much oil and where I shoudl start to look? I had planned to get another 215-20K out of it inthe next 18 months before I get a new ride - but it looks like my 2009 rally season is over already unless you have some insights to help.

Luckily I did not get the 2009 IB Rally draw this time so I have 2 years to start over if it is toast.;)

Thanks,
-DNA

BTW - if it is shot - what exactly does one do with a well used Sprint that is not running well?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
dna, Untill the seal is fixed I wouldn't speculate about the smoke. It's possible that someone has a seal that relocates the seal in/out to a clean location unworn location on the balancer shaft.

Brad

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Forgive me if it's obvious, but do you have the spacer installed between the oil seal and the stator cover?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spacer - yes - and I assume the shop did it correctly when they re-did it.

Folks on another board are speculating it is a bad ring or ring land and recommending a compression and leak down test. What a PIA.

If it is a bad ring - anyone know how much the parts would/could be?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone mentioned that there might be a breather hose of some type that is pinched.
Does anyone know of a hose that would allow pressure build up in the crank case like that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts