Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just purchased a new to me 2019 T 120 and looking to upgrade with a decat/xpipe from Motone. I am NOT someone to take on this kind of job by myself so I called my local dealer and he quoted me out at 4 hours for the labor which as $160 per hour plus tax makes this a pricey bit of kit. I've read elsewhere that this is a 2-3 hour job max so curious what others have found before I commit. Thanks!

·
Registered
T100 2020
75 Posts
I fitted an X-Pipe to my T100 Bonnie a few weeks ago....4 hours is good.....took me 6.....second time around I could better that....but honest 4 hours sounds about right.....its a real fiddle in places.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
It took me all day, including breaks. Any decent bike mechanic with complete tools could do it, after watching the Tec installation video. $160/hr seems steep.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fitted an X-Pipe to my T100 Bonnie a few weeks ago....4 hours is good.....took me 6.....second time around I could better that....but honest 4 hours sounds about right.....its a real fiddle in places.
Given my lack of patience, tools, work space and skills it seems to be my best bet! Thanks for the response

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It took me all day, including breaks. Any decent bike mechanic with complete tools could do it, after watching the Tec installation video. $160/hr seems steep.
Yeah, I have no doubt Triumph of Seattle can do the work...I wasn't sure if the time quoted was reasonable but it seems to be. $160 per hour is the going rate when you are the only full on Triumph dealer in the area I guess :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, I have no doubt Triumph of Seattle can do the work...I wasn't sure if the time quoted was reasonable but it seems to be. $160 per hour is the going rate when you are the only full on Triumph dealer in the area I guess :(
What are the other franchised dealers in your area charging for labor?

Triumph of Seattle is a top notch dealer. If $160/hr is the going labor rate in your area it is what it is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are the other franchised dealers in your area charging for labor?

Triumph of Seattle is a top notch dealer. If $160/hr is the going labor rate in your area it is what it is.
I haven't had a chance to call around yet but I agree that Triumph of Seattle are a fine dealership and have worked with them in the past on my old Speedmaster. It's just a pricey upgrade for those of us who don't wrench but as you say...it is what it is. I have a booster plug on order already and may wait to see how much of a difference that makes with the hurky jerky throttle at low speeds before opting for the xpipe....probably not though...lets face it I want to improved sound as well. ;)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
3 hrs to do my Meerkat on my Thruxton first time but if I had to do it again I would cut that time in 1/2 and being a Triumph dealer they would have done a few in their time, its not a hard job its only hard getting the old cat out, the stock cat is only about 5mm wider than the frame rails, well on my Thruxton anyway.
$160 a hr for labor, what are they doctors, that is way to much, my mate got his done by his shop and only charged $150 all up to fit, but that was 2 yrs ago.

Ashley

·
Registered
156 Posts
I haven't had a chance to call around yet but I agree that Triumph of Seattle are a fine dealership and have worked with them in the past on my old Speedmaster. It's just a pricey upgrade for those of us who don't wrench but as you say...it is what it is. I have a booster plug on order already and may wait to see how much of a difference that makes with the hurky jerky throttle at low speeds before opting for the xpipe....probably not though...lets face it I want to improved sound as well. ;)

I'm sure the labor rate reflects a the mean income of the resident Microsoftians and Boeingites.

From my experience the jerky throttle response of some T120s seems to be inbred on random bikes and uncorrectable.

Don't know about the as yet undelivered 2022 T120s but my dealer had to buy back 2 2019 or 2020 T120s because of that problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure the labor rate reflects a the mean income of the resident Microsoftians and Boeingites.

From my experience the jerky throttle response of some T120s seems to be inbred on random bikes and uncorrectable.

Don't know about the as yet undelivered 2022 T120s but my dealer had to buy back 2 2019 or 2020 T120s because of that problem.
I rode the 2022 before deciding I wanted the old school paint job, heated grips and center stand the news ones charge for now. It had the same issue with the throttle response. It’s not horrible but if I can correct it with a booster plug and a less restrictive pipe I will

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I rode the 2022 before deciding I wanted the old school paint job, heated grips and center stand the news ones charge for now. It had the same issue with the throttle response. It’s not horrible but if I can correct it with a booster plug and a less restrictive pipe I will
Don't throttle spaces stop jerky throttle response as most who have put them on have got rid of the jerky throttle at low speeds, I have had no problem with that on my Thruxton, but what I have read from being on this forum many have put the Ducati throttle spacers in it fixed the problem, maybe do some more searching on the forum, putting a x-pipe on won't fix that problem but will make your bike breath a bit better and a nicer note to your bike.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't throttle spaces stop jerky throttle response as most who have put them on have got rid of the jerky throttle at low speeds, I have had no problem with that on my Thruxton, but what I have read from being on this forum many have put the Ducati throttle spacers in it fixed the problem, maybe do some more searching on the forum, putting a x-pipe on won't fix that problem but will make your bike breath a bit better and a nicer note to your bike.
I have seen the Misendflyer YouTubeer use those Duck spacers on his Speed Twin. It was another YouTuber Stuart Filingham who says he solved the issue with his booster plug and xpipe.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have seen the Misendflyer YouTubeer use those Duck spacers on his Speed Twin. It was another YouTuber Stuart Filingham who says he solved the issue with his booster plug and xpipe.
There seem to be two throttle phenomenons that are being lumped in as one... one is the twitchy/jerky throttle from a stand still that the spacers sometimes resolve while the other is hesitation/ jerky at a constant low speed and small throttle application that some people say the Booster plug resolves and many find no resolution for.

My Street Twin has about the same throttle play as what I would adjust a cabled throtttle to and that works just fine for me and the idea of paying $40 for the spacers just ticks me off.

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
350 Posts
My Speed twin had a small amount of hesitation/jerkyness down low. I fitted the motone de-cat and a k&n filter and it went away, but my hesitation was only slight. I fitted the Ducati spacers as well but that was purely due to the slope in that factory heated grips I got. They don’t do anything for ride-ability. Not a fan of the boaster plugs trickery. Iv seen them cause dramas and mask problems in the past. The money is better spent on one of DNK’s tunes

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Speed twin had a small amount of hesitation/jerkyness down low. I fitted the motone de-cat and a k&n filter and it went away, but my hesitation was only slight. I fitted the Ducati spacers as well but that was purely due to the slope in that factory heated grips I got. They don’t do anything for ride-ability. Not a fan of the boaster plugs trickery. Iv seen them cause dramas and mask problems in the past. The money is better spent on one of DNK’s tunes
What kind of drama? I've only read positive things about the booster plug but admittedly I have never used one on any of my previous bikes. Perhaps I am just jumping the gun here. I've had the bike less than a week so I may just get some more miles with her before I start tinkering...

·
Registered
156 Posts
What kind of drama? I've only read positive things about the booster plug but admittedly I have never used one on any of my previous bikes. Perhaps I am just jumping the gun here. I've had the bike less than a week so I may just get some more miles with her before I start tinkering...
Broaden your reading base beyond Triumphs and just this forum.

There are those that swear the Booster Plug is a God send and those who swear it made no difference at all on many brands of bikes.

I'd put more miles on and then address the things that can be corrected at minimal cost before diving into the X-pipe expense... although I admit it'd be nice to cut down on the cat's radiated heat.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts