Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 4 nice indicators from Motone.
3 work just fine, but 1 is driving me nuts.

When installed on the indicator bracket and turned on, the relais starts buzzing.
When not on the bracket it works fine.
When the black body touches the bracket it works fine.
When the metal stem touches the bracket sparks fly and eventually the fuse blows.
So I guessed one of the wires would be touching the stem, but as far as I can tell they don't.
I've wrapped every wire in extra insulation tape to be sure there is no contact with the stem. But this does not help.

Could it be that the socket is faulty?

I've contacted Motone for advice, but got no reply.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Workaround found.
But it is a workaround, not a solution.

I've put shrinktape around the stem where it goes through the bracket.
But when adding the nut to fix it there is contact again between stem and bracket.
So I've put insulation tape on the bracket so there is no metal on metal contact.
No the indicator works, but what will happen when riding the bike. Will vibration mess it up again?

Found out the housing is aluminium, but that conducts elecricity as well.
Would the stem be isolated from the housing in some way?

I checked one of the working indicators, but fail to see any difference with the faulty one.

I'll add pics of the bad one.
thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (3).jpg thumbnail.jpg

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New.
Mailed them days ago, but they remain silent for now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
New.
Mailed them days ago, but they remain silent for now.
Send them back mate. You have a short in there and you have paid (quite a lot) for new indicators and you should receive what you paid for.
If not you will probably find a short in the live part of the bulb holder or pos wire ...

Chris

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Found out the housing is aluminium, but that conducts elecricity as well.
Would the stem be isolated from the housing in some way?
Both the stem and the body conduct, the powder coating on them may prevent contact with the frame, but the fixing nut definitely will not. The lamp has an internal short circuit, i.e. the Red wire is touching the lamp body or stem somewhere along its length.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,

for the update, Ripper.
I had tried with insulation on the wires, but that didn't help.
But the remark on touching the body makes me thinking.
On the bottom of the boddy htere seems to be some copper fitting protruding and maybe touching the body.
I've put a red arrow on the picture.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Thanks,

for the update, Ripper.
I had tried with insulation on the wires, but that didn't help.
But the remark on touching the body makes me thinking.
On the bottom of the boddy htere seems to be some copper fitting protruding and maybe touching the body.
I've put a red arrow on the picture.
Indeed that could be the cause of the problem. Its the brass bulb contact and should not poke through the plastic bush. To fix this, stick a little insulating tape on the inside of the lamp body, or file down (only a little) the solder contact on the base of the bulb, or both. It could be that when the bulb holder is screwed into the lamp body, this contact comes too close and touches on the body. You can also pull the contact out of the plastic bush and bend the head a little to make it shorter.

Well spotted. My eyes are getting too bad. Do let us know if this fixes it for you.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So they only have a good reputation if you order their stuff elsewhere?
Ok, thanks for letting me know.

No more Motone it is then.

·
Registered
601 Posts
So they only have a good reputation if you order their stuff elsewhere?
Ok, thanks for letting me know.

No more Motone it is then.
No my experience is in fact the opposite I purchased from a third party who is an honest straight up guy and I like dealing with him.

It's a long story but cut short: 2 separate painted items were poorly finished and were ordered in for me direct from Motone by my dealer. Returned the first item; second version arrived still poor finish I polished out the scratches myself. Second item again I fixed myself (resprayed one side and touched edges up) as I felt bad for my supplier as he was incurring the extra shipping costs involved in me keep returning items for replacements and he was relying on Motone to supplying a quality item each time.

My dealer contacted Sam, he was convinced he would sort things out, said he was a great guy - Sam emailed direct asking for full detail, I replied the same day full details photos etc. - no response; sent second email 4 days later which was June last year and I'm still waiting for the reply!

Maybe I was just unlucky and I wouldn't say 'No more Motone it is then' but if I was to purchase again it would be direct using Motone's eBay store and any issues would keep going straight back to Sam at his cost each time........

Coming back to your issue I hope you get it resolved I bought some aftermarket indicators and ended up rewiring them completely I had some spare Triumph wire from a rear loom and other bits so I could match colours up to the original.

Anyway good luck with it...........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts