Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two tents I use for Moto Camping, an REI Hoodoo 3 and a Redverz Series II Expedition. They both serve different purposes.

The Hoodoo 3 is simple to set up and simple to break down. It hold enough gear inside and in the vestibules for my wife and I. It is generally our preferred choice if the plan is to set up quickly at night, tear down quickly in the morning and move on. It is also very easy to set up solo.

The Redverz Series II tent is a little more involved in setup, though I have become pretty adept at setting it up even solo. While it can be set up and torn down daily, it is a fantastic tent for using as a basecamp, if you intend to remain in one place for several days. There is a ton of room in this tent, despite the fact that the disassembled footprint is not much larger than the Hoodoo 3.

I don't park a bike in the bay area, but instead cover the area with an additional tarp. It makes a great area to change / hang stuff to dry / eat and cook if weather is inclement. Along with the extra poles for the awning kit, it makes a great sitting area when it is raining. Between the two vestibules and the bay area, you keep everything you would need, including firewood, dry and out of the weather.

What tents do others use for Moto Camping and why?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Two years ago I did a ride down through West Virginia and borrowed a tent from my niece and hubby. When I got to the campsite it became apparent that they forgot to include the tents poles :(. My only option was to make a run to Walmart. I got a very cheap tent - like $40 - and it works just fine. I'd much rather spend more, hoping that all involved get paid a decent wage, but that's not an assured thing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My quiver...

I have three tents:

One is a huge Coleman that can sleep like 5-6 people. I bought it for a trip to Death Valley where I stayed for about a week. Also came to Mexico with me. Big to pack, and not the easiest to put up/take down, its also meant as a base camp. Great for car camping.
My "retired" tent is a tiny little $20 Wenzel thing. This is so small i can only lay diagonal in it (Im 5'7''). It won't die! Been all over the place. Sets up really fast and packs to nothing. No features to speak of though.
My main tent is a Eureka Tetragon. Love it! Easy to set up/take down and full of features. Don't have to bring a tarp as it has a great rain fly.Nice and roomy(7x7)!

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd much rather spend more, hoping that all involved get paid a decent wage, but that's not an assured thing.
Unfortunately not. I would like to think that is the case with the Redverz tent I purchased however. It is a bit pricey, but it is a family owned business located here in Colorado. I like the idea that the purchase helps support both family owned business as well as local business.

That said, while the business is based here in Denver, I really don't know if the tents are actually manufactured here as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
"Big" tent: REI Half Dome 2 HC from a few years back. Size wise it's somewhere between the current Half Dome and Half Dome Plus. Quite spacious for one, tight but doable for two. Mostly use it for car camping because it's a bit on the bulky size. (The newer ones went for a different pole design that packs down smaller.)

"Personal" tent: Big Agnes Fishhook 1 also from a couple years back. Nice and compact, sleeps me alone quite comfortably but I wouldn't call it spacious. Similar to the current Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 (in fact, same pole set and identical size but different color fly and groundsheet). This one is a zipperless design using hooks and loops in a couple of key spots to hold things closed. Works well for my purposes and I like not having zippers to break. I suppose in very wet or very bug-prone areas there could be some issues but probalby not all that bad given the overlapping coverage at all openings. This one packs down smaller than my sleeping bag, or pad, so really nice when space is at a premium.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a cheap Walmart tent. It serves the purpose of basic shelter.

Honestly, it has held up better than I thought. 2 trips to Alaska plus some backyard time.

Very basic and I would not rely on it for staying dry in a serious rain, but for a fair weather camper, it's been great

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently took a trip and used my new rent from abelbrown co. It has not poles so it's extremely packable. It attaches to my scramblers handlebars and sissy bar. It has a pad for the bikes kickstand in the dirt. I liked the cross breeze it gave me and it set up faster than any tent I've had

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Eureka Midori solo. It packs up really small, 16"x5" I believe, has a vestibule for your bag and is side entrance which is important when you are trying to crawl in after drinking all night...

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
:) My Hilleberg Namatj GT3 is ten years old now. It is used on a regular basis, and is still basically as new. Easy to erect, easy to pull down, 100% waterproof, lightweight, and hand made by one person. If you have any issues, you send it to Hilleberg, and the person who made it fixes it! Best tents you can buy IMHO.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A little off topic here but I thought you might find this site helpful/interesting.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I have a Nemo tent that I bought on eBay. It is a perfect size for one person and my gear inside when it rains, packs reasonably small, and goes up quickly enough. Unfortunately, the previous owner was either a serial killer who made candles out of his victims inside this tent, or perhaps stored the tent near a slaughterhouse, as it really smelled badly.
My best advice to anyone shopping for a tent would be to imagine yourself zipped inside during three days and nights of torrential rain, rather than picturing yourself on the sunny shore of a beautiful lake. It is also wise to lay your other gear out to see how much additional space you require inside if you need to keep everything out of the elements. Ultralight stuff for backpacking is nice, but if you have the space on your bike, bigger is definitely more comfortable and useful.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
I have a small North Face tent which is beginning to show its age. But it's very compact on the bike and without the fly it's nothing but a bug screen. I like it because it packs small, lightweight, and takes strong winds and rain very well when set up nice and taut.

I see that the newer tents don't run the poles through fabric channels but through exterior loops. This is good as mine has a rip which needs repairing. It's needed repairing for about 5 years now.:Darn

I looked into bivy-sacks recently but I decided that I want to be able to sit up, hang out, drink something hot, and read if it rains. The vestibule is great for heating a kettle and for storing muddy boots.
A tent also makes it a lot easier vs. a bivy to get everything sorted for bike-loading on a rainy morning.

Anyway, here's this tent which I like so much:

PACKED(Tent is light-colored on top)

Jalama Beach, California

Anza-Borrego Desert - Before the rain came

Handy vestibule - Anza-Borrego Desert, CA

Kern River, California

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
MSR Hubba Hubba. Packs light for a 2 person. Fits easily on the bike. Uber easy setup.

Saving up for a Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 Platinum for solo trips.

·
Premium Member
7,253 Posts
I've had an REI half dome 2 plus tent the past 4 years and it has worked out very nicely. Packs up small, easy peasy set up and take down, has room for me and my riding gear, etc. This tent has withstood heavy rain, hail, and extremely strong winds.

Bob

Camped along the Colorado River near Moab.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Eureka Apex 2-man tent. At $100 it's a good value. Plenty well made. Good ventilation when the weather is good and you can button it down when it gets rainy. There's room under the fly for stuff I don't want to bring into the tent.

I used this tent for a while and had great luck with it which is why I stuck with Eureka when I decided to slim down my gear.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Tents

I have 2 depending on type of camping trip. Big Agnes 2 man can't remember the model name but have had it about 5 years. Great all aroun tent, plenty of room for me & gear. With the front & back doors & vestibules over both it can easily accommodate 2 people & gear. Relatively easy to set up. Very weatherproof with optional foot print & fly. Use this for extended trips and base camping

Other tent is a 1 man MSR Hubba. Very light weight, very easy set up and compact. Fly has a small vestibule built in for limited gear storage. I purchased the custom foot print and the extended vestibule whic inrease weight only slightly. Extra vestibule substantially increases storage area. Use this one for trips where I'll be moving location frequently as it is so easy to pack up & unpack. Good also for extended trips where there is more to carry given its small size.

Foxy

1 - 20 of 108 Posts