Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what kind of miles people are able to get on thruxton are. I personally put 5000+ miles in on a trip out west this last summer in 13 days. I figure this has to be on the higher end. My beemer friend and I were talking about going for the iron butt this next summer, which is 1000 miles in one day. The most I have done was 750, and my knees were destroyed. My hands were also very sore. If I am able to do the grand I will be sure to post the achievement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Better check the Iron Butt website...the IB is 1000 miles per day. It is a multi-day event that goes around the country. Just to be able to enter you must successfully complete an IB qualifier which is typically around a 1000 mile day. Though I have not undertaken this challenge, I used to run with others who did. This is a serious undertaking which takes some very carefully set up equipment and some extensive mental, physical, and emotional preparation. Chain-drive bikes are at a distinct disadvantage. All that said, I hope that you are successful in your goal. It takes a special kind of person to thrive in this sort of competition. Your average of 385 miles per day on your trip is a pretty good start...
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sheepdog,

I suggest you visit the site http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1

there are several ways to get the iron butt. one is the rally which is 11,000 miles in 11 days, another, more popular is the 1000 in 1. the rules changed in 93' allowing the 1000 in 1.

i will probably make a go of it this summer while I am still young. having that license plate on a cafe racer would be an exceptional statement
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Right you are about the IB Association doing a 1000 in 1, but it is not the Iron Butt. It is a qualifier known as the Saddlesore 1000. Just the same, it is an extraordinary accomplishment and I look forward to hearing that you have completed it. Indeed, that would make an unusual and very exclusive decoration for your Thruxton.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Ron Ayres wrote a terrific book about his win in the Iron Butt Rally entitled, "Against the Wind". I recommend it highly...particularly if you're considering ultra-long distance riding. Here is a link to an Amazon page where you can find the book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
On 2007-01-07 16:51, Sheepdog wrote:
Chain-drive bikes are at a distinct disadvantage.
Hey Sheepdog, I have a stupid question. Why are chain drive bikes at a disadvantage? Is it because belt drive bikes are smoother or is it a wear issue with the chain, or what? :???:

Thanks,
JOHN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
On 2007-01-07 19:03, graciejohn2 wrote:
On 2007-01-07 16:51, Sheepdog wrote:
Chain-drive bikes are at a distinct disadvantage.
Hey Sheepdog, I have a stupid question. Why are chain drive bikes at a disadvantage? Is it because belt drive bikes are smoother or is it a wear issue with the chain, or what? :???:

Thanks,
JOHN

I have done 850 to 1000 mile days on chain drive bikes + miles. What is the down fall of the chain verses shaft drive? I own both and find no issues between the two, other than chain lube and a sore butt .

Steve, Gears and All Things Mechanical


:yayyy: :chug: :yayyy: :moon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Shaft-drive bikes dominate. This is a competition that takes bikes a distance that spans the life of a really good chain in only about a week and a half. I recall a Triumph Trophy 1200 that had a very good run going in the late nineties, but had recurring chain problems. It's extremely hard use for a drive system that is not enclosed in an oil bath and consists of around 110 exposed pivot points...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Right around 850 for me, here.

I rode the Thrux from Ft Bragg, NC to central Michigan in one sitting one time. I was pretty worthless for about two days after that. I broke it into two days for the return trip. I honestly didn't really enjoy the ride as much as I have on my previous machines. Point of fact, it kinda sucked, as I recall.

I've heard many people sing the virtues of the Scottoiler. I'd reckon that anyone wishing to dick with endurance riding with a chain-drive bike would look into one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts
It doesn't take that much prep to do the 1k in 1; just hop on your bike and go. Collect receipts and witnesses and factor around an hour or so for gas stops. A chain oiler will take care of your chain. Little things like and iPod and a Throttle Rocker make life even easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Dang WANG (and Spyder)! 850 miles in one day qualifies you for stud status. 400 is about the limit for me if I want it to be fun (unless I break down and get a Gold Wing...not!). My comment about chain-drive was really aimed at the Iron Butt Rally, which is about 11,000 miles in 10 days (depending on the bonuses you go for). I agree that a 1000 in 1 is easily possible with a chain drive machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
On 2007-01-08 17:06, Sheepdog wrote:
Dang WANG (and Spyder)! 850 miles in one day qualifies you for stud status. 400 is about the limit for me if I want it to be fun (unless I break down and get a Gold Wing...not!). My comment about chain-drive was really aimed at the Iron Butt Rally, which is about 11,000 miles in 10 days (depending on the bonuses you go for). I agree that a 1000 in 1 is easily possible with a chain drive machine.
Sheepdog, Did the Sacramento California to Blaine Canada and back about 2000 mile round trip on I-5 in 1972, 1975, 1978 on a chain drive Norton Commando in 1 weekend (Sat Sun). Did the same miles in 1979, 1982, 1984, on the 1972 V-7 Sport Moto Guzzi's With my friend sense 1955.,(both own these units.). Fast Forward, 1996. My Friend (known sense 1955, did Nam together in 1969, He Aviation,Me Infantry, made the same run on the same Motorcycles. BOTH ARE Moto Guzzi V-7 Sports modified to 900cc with 36mm Del Orto pumpers. This past October, 2006, we did 4000 mile round trip to 4 corners, Arizona, Colorado, in 2 weeks. This was no Iron Butt Marathon, But grueling just the same. There were no Interstates. The Best Western Motel chain is the best camp sight in the world. We rode hard and fast. IRON BUTT? You guys go dig yourselves, and watch when a old geezer blows your side covers off. HE HE HE HE.

Steve, Gears and all things mechanical. :yayyy: :chug: :yayyy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Dang Spyder...those are epic trips! I had a Commando Interstate back in the early seventies and rode the heck out of it, too. I never understood the complaints about reliability. It was a bike that rewarded decent maintenance with steady performance. However, it did use up a (pre-o-ring) chain in about 3000 miles unlike a V7, which is shaft drive.

The military connection is cool. I was in the MP Corps and next month my daughter starts helicopter training at Ft. Rucker (she already did 13 months in Kuwait/Iraq as a combat correspondent). You've probably heard the statements that define the difference between infantrymen and aviators: One says, "Man, this sucks." The other says, "Man it really looks like it sucks down there..." (Rangers wish it would suck some more).

I've spent a bit of time in Pleasanton...you could have done worse than to land in that part of California. Nice weather and beautiful two lane roads...it hardly gets any better than that. I know what you mean about camping at hotels...a credit card is lighter and easier to pack than the scantiest sleeping bag...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
The best I ever did on my Thrux is about 350. That was the last canyon run I did with MES. It was about 20 miles each way from my house, and maybe 5 miles of freeway in there. The rest was all canyon roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
On 2007-01-09 23:05, Sheepdog wrote:
Dang Spyder...those are epic trips! I had a Commando Interstate back in the early seventies and rode the heck out of it, too. I never understood the complaints about reliability. It was a bike that rewarded decent maintenance with steady performance. However, it did use up a (pre-o-ring) chain in about 3000 miles unlike a V7, which is shaft drive.

The military connection is cool. I was in the MP Corps and next month my daughter starts helicopter training at Ft. Rucker (she already did 13 months in Kuwait/Iraq as a combat correspondent). You've probably heard the statements that define the difference between infantrymen and aviators: One says, "Man, this sucks." The other says, "Man it really looks like it sucks down there..." (Rangers wish it would suck some more).

I've spent a bit of time in Pleasanton...you could have done worse than to land in that part of California. Nice weather and beautiful two lane roads...it hardly gets any better than that. I know what you mean about camping at hotels...a credit card is lighter and easier to pack than the scantiest sleeping bag...


Sheepdog, What years were you an MP (US Army/The Corp)? 70-80-90's? My Daughter, SSG Iraq, was a Combat Medic (has THE CMB, 1st award, vs my CIB 2dn award, did Laos/Cambodia/Operation Desert Storm Round 1 ) is in Medical School to become a Doctor. This is costing me boo coo MPC, but the reward's is Boo coo for my daughter.
:-D :cool: :-D

Steve, gears and such

:ya: :chug: :ya:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I have done a few big days in a row on a 7000km trip, did a couple of days over 1300km. Emerald in Queensland to the Three Ways in the NT was a biggy, few hours sleep then straight through to Darwin. Bike loved it, you just sort of get in a zone... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Hi Spyder,
Sorry for the slow reply...I've been off in the woods for one last deer hunt. I was in the service from '78 to '81. I was 100% stateside: a member of the 1st of the 1st Honor Guard at West Point. Believe me when I say that my daughter had a much more distinguished service record. I broke starch three times a day and buried old generals...she was videoing Marine raids in the Sunni Triangle and dodging morter rounds in Baghdad. She earned her CAB in Najaf where she played a part in the capture of 26 insurgents and a huge weapons cache. I was strictly a peacetime skate. Congratulations on your daughter's accomplishments. I am sure that you're proud of her. I consider my kids my greatest success.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Deals Gap to Orlando?? What a trip. Some buddies and I are heading to Key West from Knoxville in March. We're are going to take the bikes to Melbourne and then ride to the Keys. I'm thinking of riding back up the entire way. I'll leave early Monday morning but need to arrive by midDay Tuesday. Can this be done without killing myself? Anyone with experience?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Well it's 500 miles from Key West to Jacksonville. Your best bet is to hit the Turnpike to 75, Dont forget the toll money, or buy a E-PASS/SunPass somewhere if you take the turnpike.
If you leave real early Monday morning you will it MAJOR traffic on either the Turnpike or I95 from Miami to W Palm Bch. You want to go through there late at night or between 10am and 2pm.

You also need to take Atlanta into consideration, I suggest I285 no matter what time of day you travel thru there. You can do a 1K trip, just remember to stay tucked in or you will get major fatigue from the wind.

Personally I would try and do it in 2 days and take back roads, there is some pretty country out there and its hard to see from the interstate doing 80+.

I'm a FLA Native so I know the state quite well.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top