Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an oldie but worth bringing back - undoubtedly the most amazing save of all time in motorcycle racing
- Randy Mamola.

He's got a great job now - gets to take hot chics around MotoGP circuits on the pillion of his special 2-seater Ducati! :-D


Looks incredible in the slo mo above - now watch it again at real speed!!!!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,589 Posts
All I can say is "what a moron." That's a good way to ruin a racing career by breaking an ankle/knee/leg/hip/ or all of the above. Bikes are replaceable: bodies are not.

Amazing none the less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
I don't get why he hopped off the bike and skitched across the grass instead of just staying on and riding it out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
If I remember that race correctly, he never did stop on the bike. Right after this clip ends, it slows enough for him to hop back on, and he continued to finish the race. :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
The man is a legend, he did finish that race. He goes balls out on that two-seater Ducati. I saw him at Laguna Seca rip around the track 2-up like he was going for the win.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,284 Posts
On 2007-03-11 15:51, kuhlka wrote:
I don't get why he hopped off the bike and skitched across the grass instead of just staying on and riding it out...
***!?! Are you f'n serious kuhlka? :hammer: Apparently you don't know the force that a bike can throw you from a near high side like that. That's about the dumbest statement I've ever heard you make, Randy Mamola is the man, and I'd like to see how anyone else would've faired in the same situation. :hammer: :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
Just proves one thing: A good rider can overcome a poor bike everytime. :hammer: :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Another save...

Save

How do you post the film clip?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
I'm with you on that one Cheap. Everyone is a critic...."oh I could do that" " What a dumb ass"......Not one of us on here has the right or the balls to put ourselves in that position and come out of it the way he did. If you can't Walk the walk, then shut the fook up!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Roberts Snr, Randy, Lawson , Shwantz ..... just "feels like" these guys were waayyy cooler and balls out than anyone racing today.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On 2007-03-13 11:41, batistuta wrote:
Roberts Snr, Randy, Lawson , Shwantz ..... just "feels like" these guys were waayyy cooler and balls out than anyone racing today.
You missed who I thought was actually the most talented of that era - Freddie Spencer! His double 250/500 year was an incredible achievement.
I used to wear his signature Arai helmet - even still have it in the back of the closet!
Strangely, never owned a Honda though - had a deposit on a VFR1000R after seeing it in Europe; it was never showing up in the US market I switched to the Yamaha FZR, first the 750 then the 1000 when it came out later.
If you were a Brit though, the emotional favourite was always the late Barry Sheen. Watching his back tire come off at 175mph Daytona was just horrendous, losing a ton of skin sliding down the track & multiple broken bones in the process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
On 2007-03-12 06:57, cheapbastard wrote:
On 2007-03-11 15:51, kuhlka wrote:
I don't get why he hopped off the bike and skitched across the grass instead of just staying on and riding it out...
***!?! Are you f'n serious kuhlka? :hammer: Apparently you don't know the force that a bike can throw you from a near high side like that. That's about the dumbest statement I've ever heard you make, Randy Mamola is the man, and I'd like to see how anyone else would've faired in the same situation. :hammer: :-D
I can tell you how I'd have faired, I'd a been bucked off when the bike DID initially highside and flown through the air to land violentley on my head or back then tuble to a stop from the +100 mph speed. Probably would have a plethora of broken bones and hospital bills.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top