Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped out the stock R/R. Put in MOSFET type regulator/rectifier from a late 2006-2007 Kawasaki ZX10. I put in an FH010 (used from online auction), which is basically the same as the FH012. Purchased connectors from Eastern Beaver.

Voltage before at 2000 rpm

Bolted the new R/R to the underside of the rear fender.

Voltage after at idle

Finished front end-

Whole process took about 1 1/2 hrs.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
The front end looks good, but aren't you concerned about flying debris from the rear wheel hitting the r/r ?

·
Registered
10,710 Posts
I have that Rick's unit, it's good. It's blacker and smaller (and better) than the original, so it's less visible.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front end looks good, but aren't you concerned about flying debris from the rear wheel hitting the r/r ?
Not concerned about debris. I don't go off road, so it shouldn't get loaded with mud etc. Something from the road doesn't seem likely to be picked up and carried 3/4 of the way around the tire before flying off to hit the R/R.

Did you know, Ricks Motosport Electric has a Mosfet regulator that plugs directly into the old harness. http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=10-004H&pmc=MDZUcmlUaHJ1eHRvbjkwMA
No, wasn't familiar with this. Looks clean. I still would want to move it out of sight.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you ride in the rain at all, you might want to have a look at those connectors once
in while for corrosion though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I switched to the Ríck´s Electrics mosfet R/R recently. Encouraged by all the "non-heat" posts here I found a place for it ... under the sidecover. But to my surprise the R/R gets quite warm. After some 60 miles in both a highway/city traffic it was relatively hot. I could touch it w/out any problem but my kids wouldn´t stand it. Is there any idea about kinda normal working temperatures for the mosfet R/R?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Is there any idea about kinda normal working temperatures for the mosfet R/R?
Well the standard front-mounted regulator on my SE only gets to about 4-5ºC over ambient, even after a Summer 50km run. I could never fathom out what all the fuss was about. It also delivers 14.5 volts to the battery at a fast idle speed.

However the temperatures behind the side panels are raised considerably by engine heat blast. Couple that with no cool air flowing over the cooling fins and the result is a hot running unit. Mind you a typical MOS-FET transistor can run at 60-70ºC indefinitely.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I put my FH012AA under my seat during my build. I monitored the temps carefully for a couple of weeks to make sure there were no issues. It was typically running 0.2-0.3 C warmer than ambient. So you can tuck these anywhere, even in poor airflow areas of the bike.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I agree my mosfet stays cool.I dont like the ones that use the oem wireing after it gets some years on it not that good allso wire is on the small side .The kit I got only solder right to the alt wires and stright to the battery through a curcit breaker that way you have about as little voltage loss as you can get,chargeing sysmem kicks butt now compared to stock.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I agree my mosfet stays cool.I dont like the ones that use the oem wireing after it gets some years on it not that good allso wire is on the small side .The kit I got only solder right to the alt wires and stright to the battery through a curcit breaker that way you have about as little voltage loss as you can get,chargeing sysmem kicks butt now compared to stock.
+1. Mine also connects directly and has had no issues in 3+ years of operation. I mounted it on the inside of what would have been the back of the airbox, directly under the battery.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
can't figure it out, ricks motorsports says no fitment for my 2012 bonnie even though plug fits, a forum vendor says they are all the same for bonnies. also noted later year OE part #'s are different, did triumph upgrade?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
can't figure it out, ricks motorsports says no fitment for my 2012 bonnie even though plug fits, a forum vendor says they are all the same for bonnies. also noted later year OE part #'s are different, did triumph upgrade?
Up to VIN number 513323 they used regulator part number T1300819, from VIN 513324 it has changed to part number T1300888.

The change took place around 2012, perhaps they've have gone over to improved MOS-FET technology.

Even after-market regulators like the RR155 from Electrex has been so updated, so I imagine the Factory have taken the hint. See description of the RR155 here:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR155.html

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Time marches on. Even the FH012AA we all know and love has been superseded by the FH020AA. It has various "improvements". Certainly not worth running out and replacing your existing 012, but if buying new now, it is the obvious choice. Bought one for my Speed Triple this week, along with the nice sealed connectors. Lots of kits on eBay now, you don't have to buy your R/R from one place, your connectors from another and your wire from a third.

"Let there be volts"
DEcosse

(OK, he didn't say that, but he might as well have...)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Ooops, I was not aware for the part # change in 2012.

EF,

Dude, I need to get you on the payroll.:D

/M

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
thanks AGAIN forchetto as my 2012's later vin falls into that catagory. looking and comparing part #'s on world of triumph and others is a learning experience i enjoy

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Thanks Dam. The make of that regulator happens to be SHINDENGEN, the same people who make the MOS-FET regulators talked about on these forums as superior replacements.

Notice the logo:

From that number stamped on it I can't tell if it is MOS-FET technology, but seeing how much trouble these bikes have had with their marginal electrics, it would be unforgiveable not to incorporate that technology on new models, specially as Shindengen are already well-known for it.

Let's hope the bean counters have not gone for the bottom line on component selection there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The part number is SH811CB , unfortunetly if reckon SHINDENGEN is using "S" for SCR style and "F" for Fet technology.

sad realy .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts