Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I have another question ...

A few times in the cold mornings recently, while starting my bike I have heard a loud bang coming from the exhaust at the belly of the bike ....

Other then waking up neighbours and setting the odd alarm off ...

what is it? :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Can you fix your profile to reflect which bike you actually have? It makes it easier to help you.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
978 Posts
Probably unburnt fuel that's settled in the pipes igniting when the engine finally fires up.
Nice Sprint BTW.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Oh, right, I remember your bike now. It's a Sprint 900, 1994 IIRC. The Trident Sprint was a 1993-only model, and the RS was only made from 2000-2004 (and was fuel injected). Your '94 would've had an "S" after the "900" on the fairing decal, but it's simply a Sprint 900. If you put "Sprint 900" in your profile, we'll know which model you're talking about.

As for the bang, I'm really not sure. I'm going to move this to the T3 forum where the experts on these bikes hang out.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you!

I'm not doubting your knowledge, all my paperwork says RS :what:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
There's a pretty good listing of models by year here, albeit in French and presumably of models available in France.

The aluminum panels and square brake light, as well as the six-spoke wheels, mark your bike as a '93 or '94 model. It's easy to tell them apart by the decals: the '93 says "Trident Sprint" on the side, where the '94 says "900S." But since yours has been repainted, we have to look at the four-piston calipers and floating discs up front to know it's a '94.

Same site has info on the Sprint RS here. It's just a completely different bike, based on the 955cc motor with fuel injection and an aluminum perimeter frame instead of carbs and a steel backbone.

Anyway, my obsessive tendencies aside, having "Trident" and "RS" in there is confusing to the people who will try to help you here, and it's in your best interest to have us wondering "what could cause that problem" rather than "what the #^$* kind of machine is he on about?"

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Is this bang after long periods of trying to start with choke fully open?

Mine did this till I adjusted pilot screw. MoT has a detailed write up on adjusting pilot screw.
This May help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not after long periods, just usually if it's a cold rainy morning! and yes it's when the choke is open fully!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also crooky, don't know if it's my phone but I'm guessing there was to be a link there?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably unburnt fuel that's settled in the pipes igniting when the engine finally fires up.
Nice Sprint BTW.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App
Thank you :) It's been pretty awesome. Hauled me to London and back (from Bristol) with ease during the Olympics

My gal (used to bikes) loves how comfortable it is on the back

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I used to have the same thing with my 96 sprint it turned out to be the fuel tap faulty I.e not shutting off. When the carbs overflow they leak petrol into engine and eventually the exhaust which ignites on starting.if you park it with the choke left fully on it won't do it. Check your oil level as it could be filling your engine with petrol not good.mine hasn't done it since fitting a new fuel tap.the sprint is the best all round bike ever mines done 43000 miles and I still love it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you. rough cost of a fuel tap?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I paid 40 on ebay for used one , and rebuilt a clean one out of the parts , or you can get a rebuild kit from Sprint Manufacturing for £27

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cool! I'm going to look at the options I've heard. last few days I've made sure to keep my bike cover on , so I think that has helped. will try keeping the choke out while its parked to see if that helps. on Saturday I will look at tightening the pilot screw. I'm nervous about toying with too much as a complete novice I don't want to damage to much. when I get paid I'll look to get the bike serviced and see about the fuel tap then.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
just in case

Saturday I will look at tightening the pilot screw.
DONT forget to unscrew, pilot screw the three turns MoT suggested.

Quote: Adjust the pilot screws, wind them all the way in then count the number of turns out..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you crooky, noted.

well I tried the option of having the choke out while parked and that unfortunately didn't work, got a loud bang twice this morning which scared the stuffing out of two dogs and their owner.

am going to try the pilot screws tomorrow as I have a day off. after searching around the internet and this forum I found somewhere (not on here) that talks about testing the screw turns while the bike is idle - is that the best idea? any particular amount of turns I should expect to be on?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have to do mine the 2.5 turns MOT suggested also , but they are locked in solid , so she will have to wait till i get the carbs out again. ( not as simple as my DR )

1 - 20 of 29 Posts