Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done the British Customs airbox removal and Predators kit a couple of years ago, and now ready for more power.
Thinking of a carburetor upgrade and had the CR 35 in mind, but have read negative reviews on this forum... not looking to have a super fast bike. but would enjoy more power on the take off, especially when riding with a passenger.
What are the recommendations? Carbs or otherwise.
Many thx

carpalmer

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I added CR 35's to my 08 T100, what a difference they made. I also have TPUSA (TTP) igniter. I'm using Uni pod filters. The exhaust system is Dominater Touring .The bike has some real kick to it. My crotch rocket loving son even said it was fun to ride my bike.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have the FCR's fitted to my 07 Thruxton. K&N pod filters and Staintune exhaust. Definitely a vast improvement over stock. Only downfall is no choke circuit if you live in cold climes. Not a problem in sunny QLD though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have CR35 carbs with airbox still fitted and on my old 790 Bonneville but now fitted with 865 barrels I had good gains at 69BHP and 59 Pounds Torque which I think is on par with the Street Twin 900's with the TEC cam mod

If I was starting from scratch I would look at those Mikuni carbs from Mikuni Australia

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I am possibly the biggest fan of Keihin CR-II carbs out there. Love them. Easy to tune and still very streetable. Strongly recommended. Like the Hagon Nitro shocks I commented on earlier, I've been using/selling/installing CR-II's since they first came out and have amassed an extensive database of tuning set-ups.

/Mike

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
There is a set of mikunis on eBay right now for $850. That’s a steal. Search for HSR42 triumph

The OP is looking for a torque bump in the bottom end and mid-range.
The Mikuni HSR42 carbs would increase top end power at the expense of the
increased torque he is seeking.

Rex

·
Registered
473 Posts
http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-talk/853490-mikuni-carbs.html

I'm on about the Mikuni 38 carbs

I have a single 42 HSR Mikuni on Buell 1200 M2 and that single 42 carb seems to feed both cylinders with ease , so 42's on less CC's seems OTT but I know all things are possible !

My Bonneville does start much easier on the CR 35 carbs (different technique) though and the popping and banging on overrun with the old CVK 36 has gone altogether with the CR's

I have Predators too and the sound is addictive !

Standing next to it on the dyno at full chat made the hairs on your neck stand up

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
The OP is looking for a torque bump in the bottom end and mid-range.
The Mikuni HSR42 carbs would increase top end power at the expense of the
increased torque he is seeking.

Rex
the 42s make good torque I ran a set on a stock 790 worked fine. The only reason I went to fcr carbs is you can get more tuning parts for the fcr carbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Mike do the CR 35 perform on the take off? I read somewhere that you cant launch full throttle with them...
Not so interested in max speed, just want the lower end power for riding around the streets...
BTW can you advise on how to search the classifieds on this forum?/
thx!

carpalmer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
return throttle cables

my bike does not have return throttle cables... do I need them for the Keihin CR 35's?
thx

carpalmer

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Keihin 35 carbs use the standard cables on the Triumphs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts