Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been following my sp3 story.

Anyway, took it to another shop to get checked out.

Basically, i took the bike a while ago to a shop, when I got it back, it had no power, barely moved. Cars were faster.

Today I rode it, and its exactly the same way.

I put it in 5-6 gear on the highway, gave it full throttle, and at 3-4 rpms, the bike would not budge, it would just ride along and it seemed to be missing. Lurching forward etc.. But never gain any speed.

Anything below 5k is useless now. The bike can't do wheelies rightfrom idle anymore.

The guys at the triumph shop test drove it, and they said for the amount of miles it seems fine, which is BS, since it had alot of power going in, and no power going out.

I don't know what to do. Im going to take it back to the shop.

I told them it might be the camshaft timing. Since the last shop removing the cams to change the shims or something like that.

COuld it be something else?

Im looking for options.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This bike has been really, really reliable. I hate to add to the triumph mystique of unreliable machines. But this is all due to a bad bike shop(RAM CYCLES in gaithersburg). And not the triumph machine itself.

The bike has 68k, and rode perfectly before that, just burned a little oil, and backfired with a highmount exhaust i installed a while ago.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Tell the shop the botched the service to fix it. If they refuse, tell them you're going to take it elsewhere to have it fixed and that you'll expect them to pay for it if the cause of the bad running is attributable to their botched service (which it must be, from your description of events).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Does seem suspicious that this has all come about after the cams were removed and replaced. I reckon it's the timing too - do you have a timing light and a manual to work from to check?

[ This message was edited by: DarkSkies on 2006-11-16 18:05 ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
it's possible that the guy doing the torque settings on the cam fudged up with too much pressure on the cam bearings (i think they are siimilar to sleeve bearings like a car's crank shaft - but i don't kow for sure.)
i know a lot of dudes that have over torqued bolts (and stripped them off) using torque wrenches while using exact to spec settings on the wrench. honda says put "x" amount of pressure on it's case bolts, and when you do, the bolt heads peel right off into your wrench head.

just a thought...
good luck and sorry for your pain. that stuff sucks.
-b

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I first started working on Motorcycles back when I was 16 year old I rebuilt the engine in my CB750.
My test drive was very disappointing, the bike had all the same symptoms as your. I checked the camshaft timing and sure enough it was off by two teeth. That's your problem.
Don't bring it back to the same shop as they messed it up before they might make it worse. Another motorcycle shop should do it without a problem as cam timing is very straight forward. Hope this helps......
Remember it's not the bike it's the hands that touched it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
On 2006-11-16 18:23, SavageHenry wrote:
Take it to another dealer a sue the current bastards!
Sure sounds like cam timing and maybe now bent valves.
I agree with the above.
If it's just the timing it's not hard to check and fix.

[ This message was edited by: PhilM on 2006-11-17 09:17 ]

·
Registered
452 Posts
Keep the bike mate. Take it to another shop. Clinton Cycles in Clinton MD. They have good mechanics (though the parts department will frustate you to no end!)

Piss on the other shop that says it's running fine for a bike with the miles you have. I have a '99 and the bike is running everybit as strong as the day I bought it, if not stronger!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I came back from the shop. And im taking it there tommorow. They are going to do a compression test. They seem clueless. They told me I might need a new head or a head rebuild.

Ive tried clinton cycles before, and they werent very good either. Im staying away from them, i actually thought clinton was worse then fredericktown yamaha.

I asked the shop if the camshaft timing was done and inspected, and they were pretty dead on to tell me they checked it, and everything inside. They said everything looked good inside, whatever that means.

They rode the bike for 10 miles, and they said the bike had more power. And its true, it had more power then when I took it there. But its still useless below 5k rpms.

I also got 100 miles to the tank. Filled up and put in 4.4 gallons!! My mileage dropped like crazy!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
What are these guys? fn lawnmower mechanics???

Find a Triumph mechanic or at least a sportsbike mechanic.

It sounds just like your cam timing is up the siht.

Don't ride it until you get it sorted or you will damage your valves more than you have already or, worse, hole a piston.

How long did they "look inside" to see if it was "OK"?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I has a very strange problem like that. Try testing the battery or voltabe output. You could be losing voltabe and may not have enought juice to power your plugs. My bike was fine in lower gears but the more I gave it power the less I got out of it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, this could be ignition (battery, timing etc.) not necessarily valve timing. Not that familiar with bike, is it possible to whack the ignition timing that much? Bad mileage suggests incomplete combustion, of course. If compression is OK I might check ignition timing and/or components. Best of luck.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On 2006-11-20 01:19, anglen wrote:
I has a very strange problem like that. Try testing the battery or voltabe output. You could be losing voltabe and may not have enought juice to power your plugs. My bike was fine in lower gears but the more I gave it power the less I got out of it.
My battery is kinda of weak. Do you really think this could be a problem? It still powers up my heated jacket and gloves without problems.

·
Registered
684 Posts
On 2006-11-21 12:05, roadkill wrote:

My battery is kinda of weak. Do you really think this could be a problem? It still powers up my heated jacket and gloves without problems.
No, if your alternator is functioning well, an old battery shouldn't be a problem.

Your problem has gotta be cam timing. From the whole story you've told, I'm thinking you messed up the cam timing when you tried to adjust the valves yourself. Then, when you took it to your dealer to finish the job, he didn't correct the timing when he adjusted your valves.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts