Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Sport Fans,

I've decided to do another post on the Bestem Top Box as I have received a lot of inquiries about their product.

First a disclaimer:

#1. I don't have ANY affiliation with the Bestem folks. I don't receive ANY compensation from them. I'm just a poor soul trying to get by cheap.....so I'm simply just posting some stuff for those who have questions.

#2. I HATE TOP BOXES ON A NICE HANDLING SPORT BIKE. Yes, it is noticeable and it does slightly effect the handling of the bike. At my fat-a$$ weight, I didn't need any more stuff hanging up that high from the center of the bike. But in the real world, I gotta carry stuff in a secure place.

#3. The jury is still out on the longevity (long term quality) of the product. I ONLY HAVE ABOUT 250 MILES OF EXPERIENCE WITH THE TOP BOX.

We shall proceed:

First impressions are really great. It APPEARS to be a bargain. I have here the model 2012 @ $69 delivered. It comes with everything needed (as long as you already have a luggage rack installed on your Sprint). It is very lightweight too. The paint job is excellent. Here's the link for more info...

http://www.bestemtopbox.com/index.php?cPath=1&&page=2

Lookie below for more pix. This is the mode I usually travel in. I don't install the panniers until I really head-out on a long trip. Also note that this is a 42 liter and will hold one fat full-face helmet with enough room to carry the following;

Stop-N-Go tire kit with CO2 cartridges
Light weight rain suit
Medium size cable lock
Jumper cables
Two pairs of gloves (I have a glove fetish)
Windscreen cleaner kit

Of course with the helmet removed, it will hold a bunch of stuff.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More Pix

OK as promised here are more pix of the bike without the panniers.

Oh, and the loose wire in the open box pix are for the LED tail lights as I have yet to install them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Warden Ross,

Looks real good! I agree, much nicer than the Givi.

I see it comes with the plate; maybe I missed this but what other hardware would I need to mount it on the bike?

JohnM.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Great look to that topbox, Warden. I see that the back rest is also included with the Bestem box- how is it fastened? Would it be removable?

ATdHvAaNnKcSe,

denoose

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see that the back rest is also included with the Bestem box- how is it fastened? Would it be removable?

ATdHvAaNnKcSe,

denoose
dennoose,

It appears to be mounted with four push type fasteners. I'm sure they would easily be popped loose to remove the pad. You would just have to plug the holes with something.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Sidetracking slightly... but what kind of windscreen is that you have Warden? It looks like a much higher bubble than standard - and how well does it work / compare?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what kind of windscreen...and how well does it work / compare?
JR,

Its a Triumph Flip-Up Aero Screen from the Triumph accessory catalog.

I think is works perfectly for my build. The blast of air his my Adam's apple level, so the helmet is still in clean air.

That said, windscreens are like seats, handlebars or condoms. It's a personal things for comfort and no two folks are alike.

Thank Goodness! Ha!

·
Registered
258 Posts
How does the baseplate attach to the SW rack? Are there knobs/bolts on the baseplate that slot in to the holes in the SW rack? I'm thinking of buying the blue one along with an SW rack.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How does the baseplate attach to the SW rack? Are there knobs/bolts on the baseplate that slot in to the holes in the SW rack? I'm thinking of buying the blue one along with an SW rack.
My Arai is off to Werks as he gave me the info I needed to get this trunk thing started. He has a lot of experience with luggage and how to make them work. However, he may get a little grumpy when the beer gets low!

More info...

1. The SWmoto rack is a work-of-art. Must be a German thing!

2. The Bestem trunk model 2012 uses a larger base plate than the one in Werks pix. So I had to drill the holes in a slightly different location in my SWmoto rack.

3. Drilling the holes was very easy. I just slid an old cigar box lid between the plastic and the rack and drilled them right on the bike. Always remember, measure thirty-six times. Drill once.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This post inspired me to save a few $$ and buy a Bestem T-Box for my 2005 Tiger 955i. I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Here are a few shots of my Bestem T-Box, which is as good quality, if not better than my previous GIVI E33 Monolock! In fact, it looks better and more refined than my old GIVI. The paint job on the box is excellent!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Cool looking bike there, Kurgan :thumbsup:

---Charlie

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nice installs and great looking bikes....been thinking of a means of adding storage to the Sprint ('98 Sprint Exec) and have been pondering the topbox route. It looks like I would need the "wing rack and top rack" from Triumph (P/N 2350345-T0301...bowing deeply in Meths389's direction!) but not sure if that would be all that I'd need. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm running a "strap-over" bag which fits on the pillion part of the Corbin at present...works fine but just not secure...

TIA!!

Derswede

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nice installs and great looking bikes....been thinking of a means of adding storage to the Sprint ('98 Sprint Exec) and have been pondering the topbox route. It looks like I would need the "wing rack and top rack" from Triumph (P/N 2350345-T0301...bowing deeply in Meths389's direction!) but not sure if that would be all that I'd need. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm running a "strap-over" bag which fits on the pillion part of the Corbin at present...works fine but just not secure...

TIA!!

Derswede

Can you post a photo of your stock toprack? With a bit of creativity, you can pretty much mount anything to anything.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Can you post a photo of your stock toprack? With a bit of creativity, you can pretty much mount anything to anything.
Hi, Kurgan....right now I'm just running a strapped-on bag over the seat, hooking to the bag mounts (the Sprint Exec. has hard bags). There is a plate/adapter for a top box (or at least the parts list says so) but I don't have one. Need to take a long look at alternative mounting methods and will post photos if I can come up with something useful and inventive.

Derswede

1 - 20 of 36 Posts