Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought I woul do the simple job (haha) of fitting some LEDs

been on most of the day with no success :frown2:

soldered wires were necessary as wished to use the proper connectors and shrink wrapped it all... proper job

tested the rear indicators when wired and it did what I expected and flashed quickly (standard relay)

fitted front LEDs and nothing happens!!... fitted LED relay (CF13 JL-02 3 Pin) nothing

I have a rear fender unit with old lights attached ...connected that up and with the old relay fitted all 4 flash (but quickly)

fit the LED relay... all glow very dim

grrrrrrr

·
Registered
343 Posts
Stepheng,

Take a read of this great White Paper from one of our forum members. http://www.triumphrat.net/attachments/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/421706d1476979769-turn-signals-everything-you-wanted-to-know-turn-signals-all-you-need-to-know.pdf

Will likely help resolve your dilemma. As I often find out, nothing is a simple fix these days. The new technology is not very DIY friendly for the novices among us. To state the obvious, the better informed you are the better you will be able to anticipate the unexpected.

I am waiting for my LED replacements and LED relay to arrive. I started by adding two additional LED rear frame insert lights to supplement the regular aftermarket flashers, (not bright enough in bright sunlight), only to find one of the existing incandescent bulbs blown again after replacing it last year. Thought I may as well bite the bullet and go all LED, at least for the indicators.

I plan on installing over the Easter weekend...fingers crossed. From what I have read you may be running into an issue with your bikes particular circuit and the instrument indicator (idiot) light in your instrument cluster. Search the postings for LED indicators. You'll find quite a few postings addressing a variety of problems with solutions. Lots of great knowledge on this forum. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Thruxty.... thanks for your reply

that is a comprehensive document .... I had read it through and after a quick check on the bench with the LED relay, battery and one LED unit it all checks out and works as expected ... even the tungsten lamp works with the LED relay as it should

therefore it can only be the idiot light part of the circuit..... it will be sorted !!!

as you say thruxty, simple fixes are an absolute joy these days, but alas too few! ... one of the reasons I have hung on to the 2002 Bonnie!

this forum is a brilliant resource... long may that continue

s

·
Registered
123 Posts
+1 on the PDF by @Ripper. Interesting read and very helpful .
Did you do the diode bit

Jon

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've ordered some!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi,
I'm not wanting to hijack this post but, I'm considering doing a total LED refit to my 2013 Speedie including the indicators, headlight/park light, brake light and idiot lights. I've already spent a few hours trawling through the various posts on installing LEDs and have now downloaded Rippers PDF to read tonight!
Has anyone else done this type of a total lighting refit?
I think that it should be relatively straightforward, but there may also be a number of hidden "traps" for the unwary/novices!
If anyone has any tips to assist, they would be most welcome.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Hi,
I'm not wanting to hijack this post but, I'm considering doing a total LED refit to my 2013 Speedie including the indicators, headlight/park light, brake light and idiot lights. I've already spent a few hours trawling through the various posts on installing LEDs and have now downloaded Rippers PDF to read tonight!
Has anyone else done this type of a total lighting refit?
I think that it should be relatively straightforward, but there may also be a number of hidden "traps" for the unwary/novices!
If anyone has any tips to assist, they would be most welcome.
A few years ago I changed my tail light/break light, turn signals all to LED, headlight still stock for now. I wired in everything and everything worked as it did previously, with the exception of the turn signals blinking fast but that doesnt bother me, someone behind me can still see them.

Just this past weekend I changed my turn signals to a different style and they come with standard bulbs but have LED replacements on order. I also have a LED headlamp to replace the OEM one and I have plugged it in and it works so I dont see any issue with that either.
I have a 14 mag wheel bonne.

I dont know if I'm missing something but everything I changed to LED worked with the minor exception of the rate at which the signals flash and I assume I can do something about that if it ever bothers me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have a LED headlamp to replace the OEM one and I have plugged it in and it works so I dont see any issue with that either.
What headlamp did you go with? I'm wanting to make the switch to LED but still would like to retain the look of the bucket.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Check out this SuperBrightLED site...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/2013-triumph-thruxton-vehicle-led-lights?make=78&model=3346&year=2013

You can enter your specific bike (my Thruxton link above) and it will give you the LED replacement options for all the STOCK oem bulbs. Great resource, fast service and reasonable prices. I believe there's a help desk too.

Purchased my indicator bulbs along with an LED flasher relay to fix the hyper flashing. Next fix is the auto indicator cancelling unit.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
What headlamp did you go with? I'm wanting to make the switch to LED but still would like to retain the look of the bucket.
I had to run out to the garage to look, been so long I'd forgot, all I see on the box is Scot lights. I remember someone on here mentioning that they were for sale on ebay at a decent price so I jumped on it, I plugged it into my bike and saw that it worked but didnt want to screw around at the time and then never got it changed out, it will fit right in and I dont think it will alter the original look at all. Sorry not much help

Went and looked on ebay to see if I could find it, this isnt the brand but this is the type, looks just like it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LED-Angel-Eye-Motorcycle-Headlight-Spot-Lights-Bracket-Mounting-Ring-Set-US/162970606581?hash=item25f1ce1bf5:g:028AAOSwDKtY2iBc&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have done the same to my bike. I bought a 7" replacement headlight for a jeep and it fit in the headlight bucket just fine. I only had to make one connection for the daytime running light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to run out to the garage to look, been so long I'd forgot, all I see on the box is Scot lights. I remember someone on here mentioning that they were for sale on ebay at a decent price so I jumped on it, I plugged it into my bike and saw that it worked but didnt want to screw around at the time and then never got it changed out, it will fit right in and I dont think it will alter the original look at all. Sorry not much help

Went and looked on ebay to see if I could find it, this isnt the brand but this is the type, looks just like it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LED-Angel-Eye-Motorcycle-Headlight-Spot-Lights-Bracket-Mounting-Ring-Set-US/162970606581?hash=item25f1ce1bf5:g:028AAOSwDKtY2iBc&vxp=mtr
I've been entertaining the idea of swapping over to something like this to make the "Modern Classic" a little more modern, but the OEM bulb isn't half bad.

·
Registered
343 Posts
After updating my headlight with a pair of Eastern Beaver relays due to the low gauge factory wiring my stock H4 headlight is infinitely better. Was feeble originally. Amazed they allowed the design out of the factory.

Planning to stay with current H4/E.B. relay setup for now, unless there is good reason to go to LED. May consider an LED switch out for the tail/brake light bulb though. Also pretty feeble.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Any experience with an LED headlight bulb? I've heard that sometimes they don't properly reflect in the bucket as the OEM bulbs do.
This is what I have in my headlamp, a great improvement over the OEM bulb even with relays IMHO. I never liked the idea of the fan on LED bulbs, and the heatsinks tend to stick out too much for a crowded headlamp bucket. So these, using Philips Luxeon LED chips, are fanless and have a flexible heatsink.

They work well with the OEM reflector since the LED chips are positioned exactly where the filament of the OEM halogen bulb would be. In terms of light output, a typical 60/55w halogen bulb, fed with full voltage puts out around 1500 lumen. In comparison the LED bulb in my headlamp is rated at 3400 lumen. 20 watts hi beam, 20 watts low beam.

The beam pattern is a little different to the OEM bulb, you may need to get used to it a bit, but the LED beam pattern is more subtle, the light has a better spread so its not focussed in one spot so much. I've found this to be better for me, its like having a slightly wider field of vision at night. Beam throw is about the same as OEM, perhaps a little further due to the higher light output.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40W-PHILIPS-Osram-CREE-LUXEON-LED-Headlight-Kit-Hi-lo-Fog-Bulb-Light-Lamp-6000K/121877123521?hash=item1c607151c1:m:muof-KSAwiEdHufI6NFeHuw

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
May consider an LED switch out for the tail/brake light bulb though. Also pretty feeble.
I would recommend a LED board rather than a bulb, for the best results. The LED tail boards most highly praised on here are those from Matchless Clueless. He makes boards for most of the Lucas replicas and also boards for the OEM Bonneville tail light and turn signals (I have all these and have not seen anything that betters their efficiency).

https://matchlessclueless.com/store/

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Thanks for that Ripper. Which bulb do I choose from the pull down list on ebay ?

Many thanks Mick
The headlamp is H4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts