Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When cold starting I have noticed a fairly loud repeating metallic clinking that goes away once everything is warm. It appears to be coming from the left side of the engine. Once I have been riding a while there is a less obtrusive but still noticeable clinking coming from the right side.
I realize that being an air cooled engine, it is going to have more noises coming from it. I just would like to know if I should be looking out for anything in particular.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Clinking or clicking?

I know I get some top end noise, probably cams or valve thingies when my bike is cold.

Air-cooled bikes are usually noisier than water-jacketed bikes, so if you're used to a quiet Jap bike these ones sound like a can of ball bearing in comparison.

I like it.
-K

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Probably normal. A gent asked about excessive valve noise the other day...Thrux owner...may want to listen to his video for a comparison. This comes up from time to time and I asked about my new Bonny as well. Either I am getting used to the noise or my bike is getting quieter. I really don't hear much clatter during warm up but each motor is a bit different and many noisey motors fall under the category of normal. You can post a video for better feedback. A drive to the dealer will likely affirm it is normal. What kind of oil are using and when did you change it?
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Clinking or clicking?

I know I get some top end noise, probably cams or valve thingies when my bike is cold.

Air-cooled bikes are usually noisier than water-jacketed bikes, so if you're used to a quiet Jap bike these ones sound like a can of ball bearing in comparison.

I like it.
-K
Definitely a distinct "clinking" noise. I'm used to the normal valve train noise coming from the top. This seems to be coming from lower down. I have visions of something rattling down near the timing chain. I'm only wondering because the noise is new. At this point I'm not terribly worried because it goes away after it's warm. However it's loud enough that my wife asked me what it was and I would have preferred to have an actual answer. I figure at this point I will take a wait and see approach.
If I can sort out the process, I will try to post a video.
BTW, my previous bike was a KLR-650, not terribly quiet in the click and clatter dept.
Edit: It figures. I go out with a camera, and it won't do it now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Noisy Beasts

I had to laugh at Aussie's video because that's the way my T100 sounds. It's a 2008 with 1200 miles on it (just got it a month ago).

There's a lot of stuff going on up top with DOHC and 8 valves. But the main reason you hear all that racket is because the exhaust is so quiet.

My three previous bikes (all Hondas) were quiet, but not as quiet as my Bonnie. The mufflers are super efficient and Triumph is using BMW's old trick with the exhaust crossover: Every exhaust stroke goes out both mufflers.

I like a quiet bike. I feel like I'm flying down these back roads instead of being propelled by an explosion-powered machine. But when you reduce exhaust noise this much, you're going to hear every click and squeak.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I like a quiet bike. I feel like I'm flying down these back roads instead of being propelled by an explosion-powered machine. But when you reduce exhaust noise this much, you're going to hear every click and squeak.
Agreed. When I'm on open roads all I hear is the wind whistling through my helmet, and that's nice. My 2t scooter is loud as hell - it's all bark and no bite. My Bonnie, by contrast is the opposite. But the top end is shockingly clattery. That's just part of the charm.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Get Rid of that Noise

I have a 2009 Bonnie. Rode it for a week listening to everysound the engine makes except an exhaust note. People at lites would look to see if it was running. Only way I new was to look at the tach or listen to the valve clatter. Best solution, get new pipes.
Better yet, get the performance package from TPUSA. Those Dominator HT pipes sound great, on the verge of being to loud and big powere gain.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
The noise will soften over time as the valves seat and everything loosens up . . . then you'll adjust your valve clearance and it will noisy as hell again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts