Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few shots of the latest prototype mini-speedo/tach brackets hot off the CNC...

That's the stock Bonneville ignition, with the original mounting tabs removed.

After checking and rechecking all locations & fitment, proceeded to sawing the mounting tabs off the lower section of the ignition body,
then to the grinder for material removal, then sanding & polishing, then drilling and tapping through the upper half of the rather substantial threaded bosses inside the ignition body...

Will post more pics and DIY info as time allows...

Special thanks to Loxpump & rodburner for honest feedback during the
latest round of mini-this & mini-that madness...

Cheers,

D9

[ This message was edited by: D9 on 2007-01-02 21:38 ]

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Seth that looks great. Even the lexan mule looks awesome.Leave it clear to go with ANY paint scheme and work up some halographic edge lighting and the Speedy/America guys will want some too. [kidding,really,just kidding] :-D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Looks better than it did on paper. Amazing how the aluminum shined up, you can't tell the difference between your polished lower part and the chromed upper original section. It's ashamed most of it will be hidden under the bracket. I want to place my order for a double mini gauge with ignition relocated. The clock can move to a new location. You do great work, all I did was watch in awe.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phil... apologies... if I could occasionally turn off this
latest affliction (known as Compulsive Bonneville Tweak-itis),
it might actually be a good thing - lately though, the muse simply
will not shut up - as a result, there's even more bracketry and other stuff
in the pipeline... stay tuned....

:cool:

Cheers,

D9

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
On 2006-12-09 11:21, DrEnglish wrote:
Great stuff, D9. Going into business?
Yeah, D9Designs,in cooperation with BoulderCountyCustoms ! :-D
Now about that 2" bolt-in swingarm extention/shock laydown kit,Thruxton flyscreen chop and re-contour kit with integral flush mount turnsignal/marker light kit,stock seat billet backrest and rack combo,aluminum louvred side covers with matching bobbed front and rear fender kit,the......... :-D

[ This message was edited by: rodburner on 2006-12-09 11:39 ]

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On 2006-12-09 11:21, DrEnglish wrote:
Great stuff, D9. Going into business?
Dr -

Thanks - at this point, it's still a fun, labor-of-love (read: out-of-control obsession) kind of thing - possible collaborative efforts with
others is entirely possible... the future is, as ever, uncertain...

Cheers,

D9

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good question, had not yet even powered these up yet, so time to find out...

Out to the garage, connect the speedo from mikesXS to the battery - it illuminates pale blue - interesting - connect the tach from J&P to the battery, it illuminates... a much brighter pale amber...?

Well... shoot. I don't ride at night anyway, but I would have preferred
they at least illuminate the same color, if not the same intensity.

Those considering mini-gauges, take note - if the tach and speedo are from different sources, good possibility they'll illuminate with noticeable difference in color and/or intensity...

Looks like I'll be sending J&P back their mini tach and ordering one
from Drag Specialties - it's about $10 more, but it appears to illuminate a closer match to the pale blue of white face speedo from Mikes XS:

Drag specialties mini tach

Still learning, everyday.

Cheers,

D9

[ This message was edited by: D9 on 2006-12-31 18:12 ]

·
Registered
827 Posts
D9,
I like that Dual with the ignition in the middle! I just might order that one from you! Is there enough wire to pull the switch that high or did you add some?

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
5bass,

It's close, but there shouldn't be any need to add wire... however, you'll probably have to rearrange the cluster of wiring inside the headlight to allow the ignition wiring maximum reach... fyi, still fine-tuning these ignition relocating brackets... short production run - half dozen units maybe - planned for mid-January... happy to send you one of them...

Cheers,

D9

·
Registered
140 Posts
Those look great! Man are you going to be busy :-D

Simmons

1 - 20 of 27 Posts