Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
The TOMCC website mention new bikes for 2020 as: a new 888cc Tiger 900, a Speed Triple 1160, a TFC Bonneville Bobber, and a Thruxton R Black. No mention of a new T-Bird and (sadly) they should know.:crying:

Steve

·
Registered
350 Posts
The TOMCC website mention new bikes for 2020 as: a new 888cc Tiger 900, a Speed Triple 1160, a TFC Bonneville Bobber, and a Thruxton R Black. No mention of a new T-Bird and (sadly) they should know.:crying:

Steve
Why would they know? Dealers don't even know. But i'll tell you who would be most likely to know......triumph employees, and word from an insider there who's identity will remain unknown, the Tbird engine is at this moment being worked on to comply with 2020 emissions standards. The person who knows this employee is 100% trustworthy, but i won't mention him either tho he can be found online if you look. I don't want to mention anyone's name or online location for obvious reasons, but u can believe it or not, i'm not here to convince anyone just to relay info i have found. The one thing i DO take responsibility for is the person who relayed this info who personally knows the employee. IMO he's 100% worthy of being trusted. But again, I'm just relaying info i have no reason to doubt.

Secondly, and this you can probably find if you google tbird rumors or whatever, but there is a letter posted at the bottom of an article similar to the one in the video between triumph and the USA bureau (name i don't recall) that gives companies that manufacture vehicles approval to produce and sell them in the USA based on whether they meet emissions standards or not. On the list of vehicles submitted for approval in 2020 is the 1700 tbird motor. I'm not going to hunt down that site and link it but it shouldn't be hard to find. Again, take that for what it's worth, but It's fact that document exists.

IMO this info leads me to believe they will be doing something with the tbird engine, and i can't recall but i *think* that document mentions the model names too like commander etc.

And lastly, there is a post at another forum where a posted mentions that his dealer in i believe Wisconsin has done several fixes to birds with the clacking issue. He said they have completely fixed the issue by using slightly larger diameter pistons with a longer skirt. I think it could be logically assumed that the pistons may possibly be a new part from triumph that they have given to a particular dealer to test with customer bikes that have had the issue to see how this fix holds up before putting the new Tbird back in the lineup. We know there are a lot of people complaining about the issue and a number of warranty top end rebuilds that were done unsuccessfully trying to fix the issue. So i can't imagine triumph bringing the bike back w/o rectifying that issue. Of course this is total speculation and i don't know the person that posted about his dealer 'doing this so again, take this for what it's worth. But when you take all this info together it seems to complete a puzzle and paint a very promising picture of what is likely going on with the Tbird at triumph. Personally, all of this makes me believe it's very very likely. Add to all this the fact the bike is a fantastic bike in it's genre and not only won cruiser of they year shootouts from cycle world twice in the first 2 years it was produced and that many including myself has been touted as "best bike i have ever owned" and it just seems crazy they would just dump it after a relatively short run. So IMO we will see a new Tbird within a few years. According to the person who knows that employee it will be a couple years but that's just a guess on his part based on what his insider friend told him.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Love my 2014 LT and am ready to put down a deposit on a re- launched T’bird right now! Cure the engine clank (don’t have it on mine), cure the drive belt adjustment (too finicky and squeals if not “ just right”), solve the leather saddlebags that loose their shape if they get wet, add a tach and a gear indicator (use gearingo product, works great). The old T’bird May be the most comfortable cruiser, with great steering geometry, love it but lacked support and development that could make it the best ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Love my 2014 LT and am ready to put down a deposit on a re- launched T’bird right now! Cure the engine clank (don’t have it on mine), cure the drive belt adjustment (too finicky and squeals if not “ just right”), solve the leather saddlebags that loose their shape if they get wet, add a tach and a gear indicator (use gearingo product, works great). The old T’bird May be the most comfortable cruiser, with great steering geometry, love it but lacked support and development that could make it the best ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If they DO re-release a new one whatever you do, do NOT buy a new one till you are 100% sure they are free from the dreaded piston slap issue ! Take it from someone who has the issue.....it IS dreaded and you will kick yourself forever for selling your clack free bird only to get a clacker in the new one. You'll be wishing you had your finicky belt and saddlebag issues back ! Mine was a quiet 1600 till i made the mistake of having the BB 1700 kit installed and then it began. To this day i wanna kick myself when i think about that. The extra grunt was not worth 8 of the 10 years i've owned it being miserable much of the time. When it clacks I just want to junk the thing. So hang onto your clack free bird till u r positive the new one has been de-clackered.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had the clack but my bird will be ready for replacement by the time the new (speculated) bird is available. The new R3 looks might fine though! Only thing against the R3 is the hefty price jump from the old model and the way it chews up rear tyres.

·
Registered
26 Posts
...looking forward to the new TBird though my 2010 BB1700 runs strong (and no clack), a keeper!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just re-affirming the post referencing the Wisconsin dealership (Team Triumph ,Janesville) regarding piston slap in 1700s. They have rectified the problem with a better piston, longer skirt. I dicussed the slap issue with the owner and he confirmed it. He knows his sh t. Best Triumph dealer in the state. Maybe the country

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just re-affirming the post referencing the Wisconsin dealership (Team Triumph ,Janesville) regarding piston slap in 1700s. They have rectified the problem with a better piston, longer skirt. I dicussed the slap issue with the owner and he confirmed it. He knows his sh t. Best Triumph dealer in the state. Maybe the country

Any part #'s, kit #'s referencing this issue?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Are you the same person that posted this on the other forum ( TT) ?
I replied to that posting in October, here's my post and questions.

Can you expand on these details as this is something I've been dealing with for 6 or so years. And I'm aware of several others who would be quite interested to find a fix. I'm really surprised this thread hasn't gone viral :)
My first clacker was a 2010 with the 1700 plant and my second clacker is a 2014 Commander I still own.
Traded the 2010 after clacking, a rebuild and clacking returned. And lucky me the 2014 Commander I traded it for started the same thing after a few thousand miles. It also has been rebuilt, it also stated the clacking again after 600 miles. Trust me I know the difference in top end ticking noise and the dreaded clacking.

Can you tell us who this dealer is you're referring to?
Who is the point of contact, the person you discussed the fix with?
Seems he offered you spec's so this sounds like new design pistons and skirts, which I assume would mean NEW Triumph part numbers. I have researched this and found no new part #'s.
Do you know what time-frame he's referring to for the "3-4 of them he's fixed" ? Recently? Or over a period of years etc?

TIA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts