21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
1. Not born yet.
2. See A:1
3. Can't say!
4. Bah!

The moon landing still fills me with incredibility and admiration. Politics aside, it was an enormous achieving and our specie's finest hour.
I think of the moon landing as a message of hope for the future even if it's not some kind of white, standardized, aseptic, happy-go-lucky, star-trek future.

According to my late grandmother, the beloved Rita Gregoria, it was all staged by the yankees on a field near Cercal do Alentejo, Portugal.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cercal+do+alentejo&sll=38.091337,-6.987305&sspn=3.665896,9.876709&ie=UTF8&ll=37.799137,-8.671432&spn=0.01353,0.038581&t=h&z=15

I guess it's hard to believe such thing is even possible when Portugal's rural side was just above feudalism back in the 60's.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
It's kind of interesting how the memories of the old B&W fuzzy TV, sitting around with the family, the grandparents, the old house or place, etc. all come off as good ones. And they were.

How we've progressed! Now we PAY to watch TV, instead of four channels we have four hundred, but unfortunately only about three are worth watching.

Families don't sit together around the old fuzzy set anymore, because everyone is far too busy doing something else in this "modern", "automated", "computerised" society. Wasn't all this 'stuff' supposed to make life easier? Seems more like WE are the slaves to technology sometimes.

Those that were around at that time will remember as well the unbelievably great Martian and flying saucer attack movies, comic books, and some great Top 40 songs as well "Ew-ee-ew-ah-ah, ting- tang, walla-walla bing -bang!", where laser jet ray-guns and wierd Martian creatures were intent on destroying us. Kind of a secret let-down when the astronauts weren't attacked, or didn't have a reason to use the obviously hidden ray guns to disintegrate the attacking foes.

Anyway, just wanted to point out how many have recalled the moldy "olden" days of a much slower, and much less stressed age, and it put a grin on my face.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was 2. We have a pic of me in diapers leaning against the TV while Neil Armstrong is descending the ladder to the surface.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I'm wondering where the crackpot conspiracy theorists are? What is this forum coming to?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I was 8yrs old, at school in Sydney....the teacher wheeled in a tv and we all watched in awe.
I was also positive we would all see our first ever televised Martian.!!!

·
Registered
7,994 Posts

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Yeah.. right Nickwitz and Billbikes. An obvious secret Government sponsored "paintshop" touch-up job! Gotta do better than that.

I would need to see an actual live interview with two guys leaning on an old rusty pick-up truck (ute), sporting stylish Mullet hair cuts, explaining their out-of body / Martian probing experiences and viewpoint. I have it on good sources that Bigfoot is the earth point-person for these guys, the Abominable Snowman, of course, handling things in the eastern sector.

Moon Photos.... ha! Nice try.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wasn't born until '78. There are so many fascinating things about these events, that they were able to take place and occur amazes me. I find this to be possibly mans largest achievement including any recent history.

I was watching the Apollo shows on the History channel where they talk to astronauts and flight controllers about the missions. So these guys are quite smart, and to here their thoughts about the first hand accounts is intriguing. I was blown away however by one statement by Buzz Aldrin, and it seems to be the consensus of many other astronauts. He was being interviewed on his thoughts about needing to return to the moon. He was explaining how their needed to be campaigns to get the populations support to fund such projects. Going to the moon was expensive, and NASA doesn't get that kind of budget currently, and it's not seen as important as it may have in the past. But what really blew my mind was his argument to fund such projects. His argument was that the Earth has a limited number of days and we as people have find a way to make it beyond that. Now to me this is just a plain crazy statement. I think there has to be other priorities at this point than preparing for the earth's end. Like say not destroying it with pollution and over consumption! Putting that huge amount of money into conservation, scientific prevention and discovery, and dealing with current problems in society. I think it is true Astronauts live in space, because they certainly don't live on Earth with everyone else. Confined to living in a shaq on a desolate planet may be survival, but it sure isn't living.

So my argument for going into space and discovering space is as a learning tool only. To see what is out there, how it maybe was created and came to be, and to discover things unknown or unexplainable by man. I don't think we need any missions to grow the human population beyond the planet for some time.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
He's getting on a bit. Maybe he's allowed a few crackpot ideas.

Personaly I think the main reason for going out there is that the last time men walked on the moon it was seen around the world and for one brief moment all the other crap that divides man was forgotten. We need more of that in this world not less. I for one am really sad that we've spent more money the last 40 years working out better ways to kill than we have developing manned missions to explore the universe. Just how many manned space missions could Trident submarines, F22 jet fighters, smart weapon programmes missile defence systems etc etc have paid for. All that Science all that brain power and for what?

I really hope that I live to see the first human being set foot on Mars. I really hope that happens. Hell I remember getting exited at the first colour pictures of Mars that came back from Viking. But a robot thingamajig is just not the same as a human footprint. It doesn't bring people together in the same way.

Till then I'll make do with Google earth 5. Go take a look at it and use the Google moon facility. Its realy cool.:):cool:

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I for one am really sad that we've spent more money the last 40 years working out better ways to kill than we have developing manned missions to explore the universe.
So am I, but I also doubt the Taliban are big on manned exploration of the solar system. Warfare has always been with, and always will be. The best way to minimize it is to be prepared with overwhelming force.

I really hope that I live to see the first human being set foot on Mars. I really hope that happens.
You and me both, Nick. That would be an inspiring accomplishment. It's a matter of when, not if.

Personaly I think the main reason for going out there is that the last time men walked on the moon it was seen around the world and for one brief moment all the other crap that divides man was forgotten. We need more of that in this world not less.
+6,000,000,000

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
So am I, but I also doubt the Taliban are big on manned exploration of the solar system. Warfare has always been with, and always will be. The best way to minimize it is to be prepared with overwhelming force.
Even your General staff seemed to think that maybe in the current War F22 jet fighters weren't exactly necessary. My argument isn't that War will never happen or that we don't need armies. but maybe we already have the capability to defeat the existing and likely future threats without the need for massively over complicated technical systems or weapons designed for another era. The Money and brain power wasted on F22s or Replacing Balistic missile subs etc could go a long way to getting man on Mars sooner rather than later.

Properly trained and equipped troops are a lot cheaper than crazy star wars missile systems or weapons which frankly if we ever had to resort to we might as well not bother cos it'll be curtains for the planet anyhow.

So lets build a Hal and a Discovery and get out there instead. Well maybe not a Hal He was a psychotic maniac!:D

21 - 31 of 31 Posts