Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I have too much time on my hands as yesterday afternoon I spent several wasted minutes on the "Monza style" gas cap on my Thrux R.
Like many others on the forum I have changed mine to the direction I remember them from three of my "old bikes" 67 BSA 441 Victor, 68 BSA 441 Shooting Star and 69 BSA Rocket 3. I began to wonder whether there was a special reason for Triumph's decision to mount them "backward" on the Thrux or if that was the idea of a too young engineer?
I cannot find any old photos that show the gas cap opening in the stock direction of the modern Thrux. At any rate, its obvious I need to change thought patterns to more useful and important problems like what is it about this bike that makes me need to stare at it for long periods or should I put real clip ons on it. Life is tough and then you die:wink2:

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
I began to wonder whether there was a special reason for Triumph's decision to mount them "backward" on the Thrux or if that was the idea of a too young engineer
More likely a lawyer considering your family jewels and/or a Brussels bureaucrat... :cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember my first look at the bike even with the indentations for the gas cap and thinking how many people did it take to make this decision?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I wouldn't have given the direction of the Monza fuel cap one thought it it wasn't for threads like this reminding me how wrong it is to be pointing the wrong way. Turns out it's quick to make right. Couldn't be arsed.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
If I had a 1200 Thruxton R I personally would not be complaining of the direction of the Monza petrol cap.

Way too much time on your hands,,,,,, :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I had a 1200 Thruxton R I personally would not be complaining of the direction of the Monza petrol cap.

Way too much time on your hands,,,,,, :)
That's exactly why I had to change it along with the horn which sounded like the death throws of an anemic lamb.
When you buy perfection it must be perfect hence the Monza cap reversal and the horn replacement:smile2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's exactly why I had to change it along with the horn which sounded like the death throws of an anemic lamb.
When you buy perfection it must be perfect hence the Monza cap reversal and the horn replacement:smile2:
Turning the Monza cap around was the first thing I did to mine....but I have no idea what the horn sounds like! I would like to relocate it so its not waving in the breeze but so far have not had time or inclination to do so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Turning the Monza cap around was the first thing I did to mine....but I have no idea what the horn sounds like! I would like to relocate it so its not waving in the breeze but so far have not had time or inclination to do so.
I'm sure this may be elementary, but are there directions on how to switch the cap's direction? Also, the tank seems to have reliefs that are directional to the cap. Any issues when turning the cap 180 degrees?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its very easy, I found the info on the Triumph Forum, <https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/2016-models-how-to-reverse-monza-filler-cap.8512/>

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure this may be elementary, but are there directions on how to switch the cap's direction? Also, the tank seems to have reliefs that are directional to the cap. Any issues when turning the cap 180 degrees?
The indents on the tank actually favor the hinge when you have turned it 180 degrees. It is simple to do otherwise I would not have been able to do it:smile2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts