Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Monza-style flip-lid gas cap from Bella Course (http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc084-85.htm) and I have a question for those who have installed it:

I'm tightening the 3 small allen-head securing nuts, but 2 of the 3 don't feel like they're getting tight. I haven't yet had the chance to take the bike out to test for leaks (maybe tomorrow, if the weather holds here in Ohio), but I don't want to take it out if it'll leak. The tank is full to the brim due to avoid rust in the tank from winter storage.

Anyone had this issue? The cap otherwise seems perfect, but I admit I did not inspect the lock-nut threading before installing it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got one for my bike, and I didn't have any problem tightening the three allen head set screws. I hope they haven't been over-tightened and had the threads stripped on your cap.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't you have to tighten them pretty hard to do that? All I used was the dinky allen wrench they supplied, using the *short* end for leverage. How tight were you able to get them?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wouldn't you have to tighten them pretty hard to do that? All I used was the dinky allen wrench they supplied, using the *short* end for leverage. How tight were you able to get them?
That's exactly how I did it. I tightened the set screws until they felt "tight". When you tighten them, do they just turn and sit there, or do they go down into the threaded hole? Maybe you just need longer set screws.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn’t bother to screw in the security nuts at all and there are no leaks. However, I got my monza cap from another supplier so there might be a difference. My guess is the security nuts are there to prevent that the cap isn’t unscrewing itself of to prevent steeling, not for preventing leak.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn’t bother to screw in the security nuts at all and there are no leaks. However, I got my monza cap from another supplier so there might be a difference. My guess is the security nuts are there to prevent that the cap isn’t unscrewing itself of to prevent steeling, not for preventing leak.
Ah... My cap has three small allen screws which tighten down, towards the tank. I can still turn the cap if I open the flip-top and use the lid as leverage, but it FEELS snug (and, again, it does not leak). Guess I'll leave well enough alone. :) Thanks, guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts