Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few posts in relation to this filler cap and wanted to get opinion on this. It looks like a nice addition to the bike but the problems people have mentioned are.

1) The chrome finish is poor.
2) The neck gap for filling is decreased and this is a real pain.

At about €140 it is an expensive add on so I don't want to be wasting my cash.

So anyone that has one what do you think.

Thanks again great forum.

Niall.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I recently bought one of these and love it. I went with the Aluminium/ alloy cap as opposed to the Chrome. Yes they are expensive but they look the dogs nuts imho.
Check out the pics in the Hinckley Classic Triples Picture thread pg 21.
The fitting instructions recommend using a lubricant when lining the cap and adapter up. I would suggest you follow that advice, because if you forget they can be a right swine to separate:eek:
Not had any problems filling up personally but the diameter is a little smaller.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I have had one for a few years - no complaints on the chrome and I have never ever given the reduced filler neck a thought until you posted this. The reduction is nothing compared to that little opening at the bottom of the filler neck to put the nozzle through. It causes no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Bought mine off Ebay, can be difficult to line up and can be awkward to open, chrome is fine though, Moto Twin seem the best option,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats great thanks Meths that is about €30 cheaper than lilleys. I just emailed them to see how much they will charge for shipping over to Ireland. So if its all good will order tomorrow. Tank is away getting painted so won't be back for another couple of weeks anyway.

Niall.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The aluminium finish fits the style of my Thruxton much better than chrome. The high cost is worth the ease of popping open the cover to fill. However there is no security and its real easy for someone to mess with your fuel. The small neck is a pain as its hard to fill without spillage.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just emailed them to see how much they will charge for shipping over to Ireland. So if its all good will order tomorrow.
Niall.
I doubt it would be anymore than their stated figure of £6.50, don't know what that is in Euros. Delivery was pretty quick, about 2-3 days.

Like MickMaguire I've not had problems with spillage/filling and lining it up on the Tank just needed a bit of cloth wrapped around the flip top for some extra leverage to get it in the 6 o'clock position.

You'll have to post some pic's when it's done Niall:cool:

·
Banned
372 Posts
I'm looking forward to receiving and installing mine. As it is now, my stock cap starts clicking before I can even get the threads started. Not sure if it's a weak spring or not, but it takes me a few minutes just to get the thing screwed back on! :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just ordered it. They charged £17 for the shipping which is about €20 so a bit of a rip off, but sure what can you do. So all up including delivery its €134. I am sure it will be worth it when I see the end product. I will post some pics as soon as I get it back from paint.

Cheers,

Niall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts