Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Visiting the area in July. Can anyone confirm a gas station at Kayenta, near the junction of HWY160 & HWY 163 ?? It's on Mapsource but these things have a habit of being out of date.
"ziaduck" (member on here) says he might be able to ride that way before then but I'd like to confirm it as soon as possible.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Yes, it's really there. I don't think there's any risk of the station in Kayenta going out of business. There's also one in Monument Valley itself; go to Google maps, look at the actual intersection that's labeled "Monument Valley" (it's about 2000' N of the Utah/Arizona line); about 1.8 miles west of that intersection is a gas station that you can see on the satellite view. It's at the point where Gouldings Hospital Road breaks off of Oljeto road. I don't expect that one to dry up and blow away either. There's another 20 miles N of MV in Mexican Hat.

The last time I physically laid eyes on these stations was in August. There are pictures of the ride at http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j196/hidesert/August 2007/Monument Valley ride/, but I didn't take pictures of the gas stations. Maybe I should get into that habit in remote but well-known areas. :D

Enjoy the trip! Stay cool! Monument Valley in July is just a tad on the warm side.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I was there last June and as Hidesert says it is right where he indicates along with the others.

You are in for quite a treat blacktiger - there is something about riding around the SW in all of its vast expanse that is really great.

Let us know of your intended route and while I haven't lived there for several years I can still point you to some great roads and Hidesert rides all over the SW so he can really hook you up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've been through Kayenta a couple times. There's a motel, fast food and gas there. Thinking about it makes me want to take another trip.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been through Kayenta a couple times. There's a motel, fast food and gas there. Thinking about it makes me want to take another trip.
You could always join us.
The exact route in total is obviously a bit long and complicated (send me your e-mail & I'll send a .gdb file) but we're starting in Denver with rental bikes (2 BMW 650GS & a KLR650 is all we could find) on June 29th and riding across the mountains via passes such as "Mosquito", "Tincup", "Schofield", and others to Las Vegas for the 4th July. Then we're coming back via Flagstaff, Blanding, Moab (White Rim trail), Durango and Salida. It was the stretch from Flagstaff to Blanding that I was concerned about for fuel.
Thanks for the replies and the confirmation. It puts a worry out of my mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts