Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Frank and I'm just joining the conversation.

I'm in Montreal (Ahuntsic ) and I see the RAT-Canada page is full of old posts and there is no sticky post for Montreal, so I'm just taking a chance ...

Bonne saison!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the same thing last year, it seems pretty desolate in here. I started thinking that there was the possibility that there were no other Triumph riders around... or very few. But my local dealership has a warehouse full of Triumphs that people have stored for the winter—so they're out there—they're just not in here. Maybe a language issue? I dunno. My spoken French is pretty good, but when it comes to reading and writing, it's horrible, so that's a possibility.

I did meet a local guy from the West Island, who was selling a leather jacket on Kijiji last year. Both he and his wife ride Bonnevilles, and he goes to the same dealership as I do.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I might have met him as well. I got a tail rack from him.

Using Tapatalk on Android.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey guys! Ha! Small world!
Lookin' forward to a new riding season.
Yango, did you find a leather jacket?
Frank, how did the powder coat turn out?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank, how did the powder coat turn out?
Quite well. I got a few pictures in another thread 'very slightly modified t100' or something like that. The guy at http://www.xtmpowdercoating.com/ couldn't really offer any warranty though and the finish isn't exactly the same as the original. But there were already a few different blacks on this bike anyway.
So I'm quite happy with the rack, but I didn't ride yet with it...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I did. I bought a Triumph Wykin Jacket. I really like the jacket, though I did find it's Achilles' heel on a Mid August run down to White Face Mountain in Plattsburgh. I left wearing my jacket and a T-shirt, and by the time I got down there, I was freezing. I put the vest liner in, which did help keep my body warm, but the perforated leather on the inside of the sleeves did it's job extraordinarily well... I felt like I had two icy cold blood sucking vampires on each arm... it was agony with no escape!

So, over the winter I had leather patches put on the inside of the sleeves. Lesson learned!

Did you ever sell your jacket?

We should get together for a ride at some point...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quite well. I got a few pictures in another thread 'very slightly modified t100' or something like that. The guy at http://www.xtmpowdercoating.com/ couldn't really offer any warranty though and the finish isn't exactly the same as the original. But there were already a few different blacks on this bike anyway.
So I'm quite happy with the rack, but I didn't ride yet with it...

It looks great in black! Good call.
I've gotten work done at xtmpowdercoating, very satisfied.
If the finish is a little on the matt side compared to the frame,
I'm a fan of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Canadian Tire carries them. They should bring out more sheen. Try it on a hidden section first. It's one of the best one's I've tried to keep scratches and swirl marks at bay from your laquered parts, especially on a black bike! These combined brought my wife's '09 lower forks back to showroom condition. I'm pretty sure they're powder coated.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Canadian Tire carries them. ...
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.
If you ever ride through Ahuntsic and want company, keep me posted, I'm near the Papineau bridge. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did. I bought a Triumph Wykin Jacket. I really like the jacket, though I did find it's Achilles' heel on a Mid August run down to White Face Mountain in Plattsburgh. I left wearing my jacket and a T-shirt, and by the time I got down there, I was freezing. I put the vest liner in, which did help keep my body warm, but the perforated leather on the inside of the sleeves did it's job extraordinarily well... I felt like I had two icy cold blood sucking vampires on each arm... it was agony with no escape!

So, over the winter I had leather patches put on the inside of the sleeves. Lesson learned!

Did you ever sell your jacket?

We should get together for a ride at some point...
Anytime! I got a couple buddies on Thruxtons always up for a spin. Always good fun seeing and hearing a pack of Twins!

The Wykin's a great lookin' jacket! Nice balance of vintage and modern.
I finally sold my jacket. Also my Dainese jacket, it was too hot for the dog days of summer. Yet I won't allow myself to ride in a T-shirt even when it's unbearable. I've witnessed first hand the result of not having any gear between the asphalt and skin. Hell, I've gone down myself with a crap leather jacket and it saved my ass. My wife and I both wear leather and Resurgence jeans all the time. At this point in my riding career, I'd feel like a complete tool if I had to sit through skin graphs.

So, I'm leaning towards Alpinestars' Brera, full perf leather. It's should be available this month. Yet you got me doubting if a wind stopper under layer would be warm enough for spring/fall...
I'm on the hunt as we speak since I'm without a jacket and spring is around the corner! I think we all just need 2 damn jackets! There's also this Macna Cooling Vest I've been reading about as an option.
It's not cheap but 90% of reviews are positive. Damn it, the internet and a credit card can do damage!

Reactions: isabellf

·
Registered
319 Posts
Anytime! I got a couple buddies on Thruxtons always up for a spin. Always good fun seeing and hearing a pack of Twins!

The Wykin's a great lookin' jacket! Nice balance of vintage and modern.
I finally sold my jacket. Also my Dainese jacket, it was too hot for the dog days of summer. Yet I won't allow myself to ride in a T-shirt even when it's unbearable. I've witnessed first hand the result of not having any gear between the asphalt and skin. Hell, I've gone down myself with a crap leather jacket and it saved my ass. My wife and I both wear leather and Resurgence jeans all the time. At this point in my riding career, I'd feel like a complete tool if I had to sit through skin graphs.

So, I'm leaning towards Alpinestars' Brera, full perf leather. It's should be available this month. Yet you got me doubting if a wind stopper under layer would be warm enough for spring/fall...
I'm on the hunt as we speak since I'm without a jacket and spring is around the corner! I think we all just need 2 damn jackets! There's also this Macna Cooling Vest I've been reading about as an option.
It's not cheap but 90% of reviews are positive. Damn it, the internet and a credit card can do damage!
Yeah, I have the same feeling about riding gear, I don't care if it's hot, because recovering from road rash would be a hell of a lot more uncomfortable. I just picked up some Klim K Fifty 1 jeans form Canada's Motorcycle, they're super comfortable and look just like a pair of Levis 501's. They're not cheap, but I figure, hell, it's my ass...

The thing with perforated leather is that you can't close it up. It's great when it's hot, but personally, I'd rather have vents that I can close up just in case the weather changes. Last fall I rode up to the middle of November, and the temperatures were getting close to zero if I was coming home at night, and even with a Marmot turbo down mid layer and Under Armour 3.0 under my jacket, I could still feel the cold on my arms—not terribly, but I could feel it—that's one of the reasons I just decided to close up the perforation... hopefully I haven't screwed up my jacket... I guess I'll find out this summer—because it was fantastic in the heat. (Then again, I can always open them up again and get another jacket... it's only money...)

That vest looks interesting. If you pick one up, you'll have to do a review for us!

I'd definitely be up for some cruising this summer. I'm not sure when I'm going to ask Chris to prep my bike, I guess I'll see how April progresses...

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I have the same feeling about riding gear, ...
I feel at home with you guys.

Just got a pair of Dainese EVO jeans because I also take this seriously. Fits well with that Street Rider jacket.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I feel at home with you guys.

Just got a pair of Dainese EVO jeans because I also take this seriously. Fits well with that Street Rider jacket.

Yeah, when I was young and foolish, I used to ride in T-shirts and jeans with low cut running shoes. But when I bought this bike last year I decided I was going to wear a leather jacket, but with no consideration for what I'd wear down below... jeans maybe? My girlfriend did her research (as always) and apparently if you have an off, about 70% of the injuries are to the lower body—and most involve missing skin—it got me thinking.

That's a nice jacket you have there. How do you find the EVO jeans fit, are they comfortable on and off the bike?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a nice jacket you have there. How do you find the EVO jeans fit, are they comfortable on and off the bike?
They are splendid off the bike.
Can't really tell how they are on yet.
That's going to be a good excuse to get in the garage tonight and check it out.!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not sure when I'm going to ask Chris to prep my bike, I guess I'll see how April progresses...
Better sooner than later. It's almost always a mad rush between customers getting their bikes out of storage and road ready and customers getting their new uncrated bikes prepped up as soon as there's a glimmer that nice weather is finally here. I'm assuming especially this year with the new models. It sucks when you miss out on the first weekend of awesome weather 'cause they're backed up. It's happened to me.
Any big job getting done or just regular seasonal maintenance?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Better sooner than later. It's almost always a mad rush between customers getting their bikes out of storage and road ready and customers getting their new uncrated bikes prepped up as soon as there's a glimmer that nice weather is finally here. I'm assuming especially this year with the new models. It sucks when you miss out on the first weekend of awesome weather 'cause they're backed up. It's happened to me.
Any big job getting done or just regular seasonal maintenance?
Just regular seasonal maintenance. Oil, oil filter, air filter change, pump up the tires and check the chain... I'm not sure what else he does, if anything.

Good to know about the log jam, I didn't consider that. Maybe I'll shoot for around the 18th—last year, the first week of May was stunning... and I couldn't ride. I had no bike, wanted to rent one, and no dealerships had plates or insurance on their bikes. I finally got my hands on a brand new silver Bonneville at Monette around the third week of May.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Toronto here, ex Montrealer....miss the town, hook up at orange julep on decarie this summer?
Hey Montreal gang,
Joining the discussion, I'm also in Montreal, riding a Scrambler with a sidecar. Already started to enjoy the season although it is still cold out there. Hoping to meet some of you.
Cheers
Hi DinoZ, we could all meet at the Julep on a bike night. I went a couple times last summer on Thursday's. There might also be a vintage car/bike night, not sure.

Awesome sidecar Pastaman! I'm pretty sure I saw you last summer in Oka near the ferry. We're you riding this week? it's friggin' cold!

I don't see how we couldn't all meet up at one point this season when we have this great forum at our fingertips!
Some years back when I rode a Speed Triple, I joined a Montreal sport bike club. 15 to 35 bikes heading out any given Sunday. At first it was a rush, but the fun quickly dissipated 'cause a squid kissed the pavement almost every week! Too many brains goin' to the balls! Too many novice riders, old and young trying to keep up with seasoned riders. Luckily, not one casualty but too many crashes, injuries and near misses! Needless to say, hooking up with that group was like playing motorcycle Russian roulette. One season was enough.

All this to say, I think it would be fun to have a Triumph Classic group where speed and ego aren't the order of the day. I believe these bikes attract a crowd that enjoys a little more crusin' and not so much intent of flying back in time.
Don't get me wrong, I come from a sportbike background and I still love haulin' ass on my Bonnie, just not in a large group.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts