Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look at EBay there are a ton of mono-shocks for sale off wrecked bikes (mostly Jap crotch- rockets). many are adjustable and look to be high quality, it seems to me that there must be some interchangeability and I have been looking online for some sort of cross reference that would show overall length, bolt eye size and type, spring weight etc. but so far no luck.
Engineering drawings would be good, but it just seems that an adj. shock from a GSXR1000 or BMW or similar should be a good match for some Triumph—it may be that this is the kind of thing junkyards use—any idea’s?
:hammer:

G

·
0 Posts
I'm no help, but I agree that it would be nice to know. Seems like the repli-racers often have nice suspension, & the repli-racer riders often turn their bikes into sources of cheap parts...

-Kit, keeping an eye out for 'busa/Gixxer/Z-Rex 6-pot calipers

·
Registered
589 Posts
In was thinking the same thing, except that I noticed how small in diameter the stock shock body and spring ID are on my Adventurer. I was thinking that I would need to use the stock spring on any e-bay shock that I could find, and this spec limits the market a bit.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Lookup the after market applications for the shock (and for your bike). Then make some educated guesses about it fitting. You can buy new springs for it later if the one on it doesn't work out. Don't get too caught up on minor dimensional differences (especially for a $20 shock). Then try it and see what does/doesn't fit.
Especially watch for ones with remote preload adjusters

1 - 4 of 4 Posts