Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey hows it going? ive got an 05 speedmaster with around 3000ks on it and want to change a few things> mirrors, want to change to oval shape or "cats eyes" shape but cant find anything that fits, same goes for the indicators. Also looking to do some engine mods to get few more ponys out of the girl! any suggestions out there??? :???:

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
One word of caution....realize that other mirrors will most likely vibrate more and become blurry at certain RPM's/speeds. I live with it because i love my aftermarket mirrors. But since you want oval or cat eyes, the yamaha mirrors a lot of people here have may be the ticket because they use the same stalks and probably won't vibrate like many aftermarket mirrors will.

As for mods, first of all you need pipes or you won't be able to do much of anything because the stock pipes are extremely restrictive. I have the same year SM and i would recommend that after pipes you remove the snorkel, add a unifilter or K&N, then rejet with 130 mains and add a couple shims to each needle. Also get some NGK iridium plugs. Some say they don't do anything, others do. Personally i know for a fact they do in mine, and it's a considerable amount for just changing plugs.Do those things and you'll add a a good 8-10 HP minimum. I did one more thing, but it's not a reversable mod really. (i suppose you could, but it's an alteration) I cut the bottom of the filter and airbox so there are now 2 openings instead of one for more airflow. I also got richer needles than stock. do those things also and you get a bit more. You may be able to go to richer needles anyway even if you just do the other mods.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the Yamaha oval mirrors on stock stems and they work great. Mine are Yamaha factory mirrors, not a knock-off. I don't know how well the aftermarket ones will work.

If you look around, you can find them pretty cheap. I paid $15 bucks for both & they have no blemishes on them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just the other day I took the Mickey Mouse ears off my less than 2 weekd old
Speedmaster and put a CRG bar end mirror on the left side. I made the mounting adapter out of a bar weight to reduce the size to 7/8 and just screwed it on like the end cap. I may have a friend at work let me use his lathe so I can make some that the standard end cap can be incorporated.
Anyway, I can see again and not just my shoulders but behind to the left and actually some to the right of me as well so I don't mind only having one mirror. it doesn't vibrate at all and another side benefit of removing the Mickeys is that I have nothing but clean air in front of me and it really makes for a custom look.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Try jpcycles.com and look at their VMAX/Virago mirrors #ZZ76064 for left and ZZ76066 for the right at $21.99 each.
Please note that they are made by EMGO and are not OEM mirrors. I've installed mine a few weekends ago and have had no problem with vibrations. Just unscrewed the mirror portion and put it on the existing stalk. The mirror quality is ok (at least as good as the original stock ones) but I don't know how they compare to the OEM Yamaha mirrors (which are supposeed to be great).
You will definitely have a wider view and not just see your shoulders anymore. I believe the OEM Yamaha mirrors are about $30 each.

Shorty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts