Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Mods planned for the winter... Here's mine, what are yours?

2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  6986 
#1 ·
Recieved my New Stock Bonneville shocks today to lower the Thrux.

Got some crash bunges that install on the rear shocks. Anyone used these? Are they effective in the case of a crash? They seem like a cheap plastic like material...

Had my stock bars tapped out larger and had adapters made for the "stock" bar end mirror conversion. (Going to install the stock bars and see how I feel about them compared to the Heli bars)

Gotta find a right side chrome engine cover to replace slighty scuffed one. Any ideas where I could get the best deal?

So far that is all until I decide if I'm going to paint it or not or if I want aluminum tins.

#3 ·
My long winter has started a bit early this year. We have about 3-5cm on the ground and woke up to a -9 morning today.The only thing that is going to get me through the winter are my MODS.

-Going to put in a order after the holidays. Want to upgrade my exhaust ,and after much thought I am looking at BC Predators.
-I am powder coating my Headlight bucket ,and engine covers ,and ceramic coating my down pipes.
-I have relocated my horn & ignition (hope it starts in the spring ? :)

That should keep me going for a while !!

#4 ·
Waiting on the tail light assembly from BC[the same as the FEK]. With the rear bullet turn signals I've been sitting on, till I found this tail light, I'll be doing a little bobbing on the rear fender when assembly is complete. This weekend I''ll be heading to Austin to do a dyno, by The Legion of Zoom,[gotta luv that title] on the recently installed cams and get the tuning on the carbs down tight.

#5 · (Edited)
Here's my list of farkling I need to complete on my Thrux before riding season starts up again...

- Traxxion Dynamics damper rod kit with Racetech emulators
- Traxxion Dynamics springs
- Bitubo WMT piggyback rear shocks
- Superbrace front fork brace
- Oberon pre-load adjusters
- Euro gaiters
- Tommaselli adjustable clip-ons
- Moto Delux bar end mirrors (or Napoleons - haven't decided)
- Gran Turismo grips
- Send extra OEM Bonnie seat to Sargent for Atomic foam and recovering

That should get the suspension squared away, as well as a few fun items. I'm doing my best to avoid Brent's "economic stimulus" sale for fear of picking up a NARK and a set of Dominators, but I feel my resolve weakening... :)

The non-riding (modding?) season in Rochester is almost as long or longer than the riding season, so the above should hopefully last me till thaw.

Jason

#6 ·
2004 thruxton mods

Just got my 'new' salvaged bike in driving order in mid October (not too many repairs) and then the snow came. For the winter I'll do some mods on the cheap:
AI removal, stock muffler bafflectomy (for that TOR sound), new grips and grip warmers, thinking of bobbing the stock fender and putting on a slimmer taillight and signals. I'll save any suspension work until after I've had some more riding next season.

#9 ·
I've sanded the paint off my goodwood green bonneville and am almost ready to paint it cobalt blue w/ white stripes. It looks pretty cool just bare metal though.

Put on new exhaust, Arrow 2 in 1. Still need to rejet.

Mini MikesXs speedo. I don't know why such a little thing makes such a big difference but it looks awesome.

Ignition relocation.

Aluminum headlight bracket. Drilled holes for my turn signals. I don't like the way they look under the headlight.

New gold chain. Ivory badges and blue sprocket to match new paint.

I can't wait to post pics. I think after it's painted and I get some rearsets I'll be done. Then what will I do while I wait for the weather to get better?

#10 ·
Definitely post a photo of that transformation, Dog. Cobalt blue sounds spiffy. The green always seemed a bit frumpy.
I have a MikesXS white-faced mini on my machine - no idiot lights either - in a D9 bracket. Yeah, they look cool as all get out, especially compared to the stock contraption!

#11 · (Edited)
My mods so far:

Tank Shop 5 gal ally tank with Monza filler + stainless tank strap
Ally front guard with home made stainless Y brackets
Stainless gauge pods
Home made stainless ignition switch relocator
Fork gaiters
Cast headlight brackets
Idiot lights in headlight shell
Beston grips on Tomasseli clip ons
Unity Equipe bar end mirror
Mini Brembo reservoirs front and rear
All anodising removed and polished
Home made Manx style seat on chopped seat rails
Home made rear light/numberplate bracket
Ally rear guard
Relocated electrics
Cut down battery box + dummy ally central oil tank
Mototwin sweep back pipes + peashooter silencers + AI eliminator
FCR 39s with K&N filters
Polished forks/engine cases
Ikons + Progressives
Sport Demons
19t front sprocket
Lots of frame brackets removed and frame powdercoated gloss black

The bike's now away for surgery for
904cc kit
Head porting
Big valves
Hot cams
Lightened flywheel

When it gets back I'm fitting a steering damper, emulators and a 41t rear sprocket.

It's gonna be a good summer:D:D:D

#12 ·
My bike mods this winter so far have been a powder coated clutch cable hanger... girl got it for me for xmas...

the rest of my mods for the winter? Lottery tickets. :D

Broke as a joke paying for my wedding so the bike must remain mod-less in the meantime.

#15 ·
My winter mods consist of working on my skin tone by:

1) Leaving upstate NY....Drive wife, ENGLISH Bulldog & motorhome to south, south Florida (done)

2) make daily decision on correct flyrod for conditions (on-going)

3) Finish writing the book (W.I.P.)

sorry guys, but I couldn't resist.....

Cheers,
-eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.