Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So of course now that I got my thrux and have been cruising on in it for a bit all I can think about is what to do to it. Its a 2008 and right now is stock. The first thing I want to do is FEK and joker machine turn signals, but that's just for looks. What do you vets think is the best way to go about modding the thrux. Suspension first, or engine performance. It seems that everyone jumps right in to pumping up the power, but would it make sense to get the suspension right first than find more power? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
521 Posts
There are so many roads you could take. I bought a new 2008 Thrux and basically made a few cosmetic mods (FEK, turnsignals, gaitors, Triumph bar end kit, lowered instrument panel, 68 solo seat) and TORS, AI kit snorkle removal and rejet on mechanical side. Coming from a 1000cc superbike, I just wanted something relaxing to ride (3rd gear power wheelies are great but can be a handful in the rain or urban settings. It's tempting to ship the bike out to tpusa and let Carlos bore it to 1087, fit new carbs and cams, brakes, carbon wheels, etc. My point is you can go or as minimal or maximal as you want and you will still have a great bike.

·
Registered
509 Posts
racetech the front and any aftermarket shocks,i have used ohlins and hagons with about the same result-hagons being cheaper -steering damper for sure-fork brace i think is for looks tried it off and on with no noticeable change-british customs can help you with a lot of this stuff-suspension first for sure -frame can't handle to much more power -but airbox removal kit, power commander and pipes wake up the motor and cams if your into throwing money at it

·
Registered
142 Posts
I vote suspension first. Massive improvement when I put on the Ikon rear shocks and front springs. New Michelin Pilot tires were also awesome compared to the stock Metzlers.
More power would be nice but with the airbox removal and predators with rejet it does the ton rather well.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I'd go cosmetics then suspension engine mods after. Though to be honest I don't get the thing about chasing huge performance from one of these. Might as well go buy a Daytona for that. I guess for some its the challenge or the technical interest. Me i want a nice pokey but not supersonic daily rider that can keep going in the wet and cold as well as summer sun. Like theblackhand I came from a big superbike down to the Thruxton. Its a fun get on and smile bike. grab yer jacket helmet gloves and ride type stuff. None of the pressure to take perfect lines, be faster than anyone else, get yer knee down, win the Advanced motorcyle riders prize, and do the 150+mph bike justice. Just give it a handfull enjoy the noise and have a blast. What biking was when I started, before it got all serious.
Cool in its own right without chasing the HP mines faster game.

·
Registered
185 Posts
+1 with the looks and exhaust mods. Little more attitude from the exhaust along with before mentioned bars, FEK, etc... are all I need.
I too cannot see spending thousands for a few more ponies on this bike. I'm not going to take my bike out on the race track so I find the stock suspention to work just fine. If you want fast, buy it in the first place.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
You will hear lots of guys tell you they cant see spending the money to make some real hp with these bikes,but you dont hear anyone that has done it say they wish they had not.These bikes with 100hp+ are more fun to ride then most sport bikes ,the power curve is no where near the same.Allso most sport bikes are ugly compared to these bikes.
I think that if most guys that rode sport bikes took a ride on a 1087 on these bikes theres would not be stock long after.They are still very streetable allso I ride mine 50 miles a day to work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I tend to agree with Nickwiz, thruxton is not a performance type of bike but fun to ride and coll looks..... so improve the look and the fun ......

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I tend to agree with Nickwiz, thruxton is not a performance type of bike but fun to ride and coll looks..... so improve the look and the fun ......
See I disagree. Bikes like the Thurxton are extremely satisfying to ride quickly on a windy road, and its very frustrating if things like the brakes and suspension are holding you back from riding as quickly as you know you can.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
But why not just buy something that will perform at those speeds more effectively. You have to spend a fortune to get a Thruxton up to S3 type capability. For many of us that simply isn't an option. And TBH it seems like a pretty strange thing to do. Remember I've had some pretty ballistic bikes. D955ise and D1200 to name but two. And I rode the wheels off them as the Constabulory can testify:D I went to a Thruxton to get away from the mine's faster than yours mentality. And TBH I'm glad I did. I've had much more fun hustling old tech as fast as old tech will go rather than throwing money at it to make it perform like the bikes I got rid of!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Anyone can buy a fast sport bike but a fast one of these bikes you dont see everyday,that and they feel way faster then a sport bike of the same speed so the fun factor goes way up.You end up with a fast bike that looks good like bikes use to look before that went star wars on us.custom bikes do cost money but thats one reason there one of a kind.Back in the 70s I had a built h2 kaw that was about the fastest thing on the street but it was no where near as pretty or as fun as my bike is now,thats what sets these bikes a part.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Well we probably won't agree. I bet your big bore is great. Just too expensive and not realy for me. Been there seen that done the speed thing to licence death!:D:D But each to their own an all that.

Its life in the wibbly wobbly but comparatively cheap and cracking good fun slow lane for me :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts