Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is another thread which talks about the most useless modification on a motorcycle which one may have come across but would be interesting to share what people's opinions about their own bikes is. Who knows it may help some complete bike-newbie make some good choices :wink2:

We all usually stand by the decisions we take and keep the true feeling buried deep. So let's be honest and share:

In hindsight, what mod, accessory or even gear on/for YOUR bike would you have rather not bothered with?

Following is my list which I still claim to my wife as being life-savers :grin2:

• Triumph Machined Oil Filler Cap
  • Triumph Headbolt Covers
  • Triumph CNC Machined Fork Protectors
  • Triumph Dark TPS Cover
All absolutely pointless accessories and expensive.

• Dart Merlin screen- did nothing for me apart from my head being tossed like a ping-pong ball at higher speed.
  • Shoei GT Air II with integrated SRL2- Should have gone with Schuberth C1 with integrated intercom which was couple of hundred ££s cheaper and with better lifesaver visibility.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Now that you mention it, I'm pretty much at least okay with everything I got for it, although I only left the fly screen on a couple years, then I had to remove it to get into the headlight bucket and decided that the bike looked just as good without it so didn't bother to reinstall it.

I'm not sure if the floating brake rotor was worth the expense, but it's there and it's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
PowerBronze windscreen for the crunched 04 RS.
It was the exact same size as the stock one (which I had in the windscreen pile).

That and about a half dozen windscreens for the 955 Tiger as I experimented with taming the wind road.

·
Registered
999 Posts
When I bought my Tiger, I got heated grips, auxiliary lights and an Arrow exhaust for no cost to me as sales incentive.

I'm glad I didn't pay for that muffler. I like the sound, but not the increase in gas useage.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Could I ask what you mean by "like a serviceable product"? Thank you!
A K&n filter is serviceable. For someone who rides dusty areas it's good to be able to clean a filter when you feel instead of replacing OEM possibly more often

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Not for those who like a serviceable product.

Regular paper filters are very serviceable. You just toss it in the trash can and install a new one. Now that is service, not something I have to clean out then treat with some overpriced product.

A K&n filter is serviceable. For someone who rides dusty areas it's good to be able to clean a filter when you feel instead of replacing OEM possibly more often

If I rode in dusty areas, the K&N filter would not be installed on my bike.

The OP mentions the machines aluminum oil filler cap as useless. I always liked those. They are way better than the cheap plastic examples used by OEMs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The OP mentions the machines aluminum oil filler cap as useless. I always liked those. They are way better than the cheap plastic examples used by OEMs.
Interesting. My 2018 T120 came with a chrome-plated aluminium oil filler cap and not a plastic one. I wanted to de-chrome my bike as much as possible hence got the black aftermarket one but realize now that in the grand scheme of things, it hardly made any difference- hence it is on this list of accessories which I wouldn't bother with.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Out here in the desert South West a K&N air filter is pretty useless. You can feel the silt in the air on your bare arms at times, bit cannot see anything. You'll have your engine well sanded in no time. Kind of like filtering with a oily screen door. ...J.D.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It has been decades now, but once upon a time a member of the Honda Hawk GT list responded to the air filter thread. He was responsible for maintenance of the vehicles at an open pit mining operation in the SW USA.

They tried a variety of suppliers, evaluating by doing chemical analysis of the engine oil at frequent intervals. The K&N came out poorly - particle size and quantity were significantly higher than good quality paper elements.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Any mod that makes you happy is worth bothering with. If other think it's pointless not your problem. In saying that I wouldn't bother with saddle bags. Ugly. Practical but I'm not very practical.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Any mod that makes you happy is worth bothering with. If other think it's pointless not your problem. In saying that I wouldn't bother with saddle bags. Ugly. Practical but I'm not very practical.

I am far from practical, but saddle bags will hold a lot of liquor for those motorcycle camping trips! :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts