Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Modifying the left cover..

5K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  Bonnie59 
#1 ·
Hi all

I’m itching to drill or cut an opening into the left hand panel and glue gold expanded mesh behind to match the decals, wether to let more air in (debatable) or just for looks..

I’m umming and ahhing over a line or arrangement of holes or an angular/slotted aperture..

Anyone bothered to do this?

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I'm just being pedantic, sorry. I've seen pic's of yer Bonnie before and it looks quite tasteful to me, not to overstated which I think is good. I spose' it depends on what shape you want the holes to be, I like the look of large round holes, maybe 3 at 40'ish mm with mesh behind but i'm not sure if that would suite the shape of the panel. you could almost cut a hole a similar shape to the panel but smaller underneath the Bonneville decal and try and find some nice black metal numbers to go in, if you're careful you could drill a hole in all four corners of the shape you are looking for and then with a 1mm thick steel cutting disc in an angle grinder very carefully join the holes, then glue the mesh onto the back of the panel with some epoxy resin.
Anyway if you're happy to give it a go then why not, you can always put the old panel back on.

#9 ·
Yep, I’m just playing with you...

Cheers, I’ve tried to keep the thing subtle, it’s a nice hobby..

I know how to do the job. I was just after some ideas for how it looks. I was thinking of either cutting a triumph triangle into the bottom corner of the panel or perhaps copy the profile of the panel (as you said). Not keen on drilled holes as they always (except the first Blade) look a bit ropey...

Thanks for your help, merry Xmas..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
There are a few posts here including one I vaguely remember as a how to achieve what you wish to do.
Using the search function may reveal the posts.
I do remember one post and thought, well thats not bad, looks ok.

Personally I would obtain a donor and put the original away somewhere, but thats just me I guess.
While I have made some changes to seat, bars and stuff I can return it back to OEM should I wish at any time.

I really appreciate the all original and stock 20 + year motorcycle that still looks great more than what I would call a 20 year + "RAT" bike that has been chopped, hacked and and "modded".

#16 ·
There are a few posts here including one I vaguely remember as a how to achieve what you wish to do.
Using the search function may reveal the posts.
I do remember one post and thought, well thats not bad, looks ok.

Personally I would obtain a donor and put the original away somewhere, but thats just me I guess.
While I have made some changes to seat, bars and stuff I can return it back to OEM should I wish at any time.

I really appreciate the all original and stock 20 + year motorcycle that still looks great more than what I would call a 20 year + "RAT" bike that has been chopped, hacked and and "modded".
Absolutely, I’ve got most the bits needed to take this old tool back to stock (except the pipes (previous owner)) so, I have a spare cover to chop about.. although I now learn that the alloy ones are from early bikes... I might try and secure it’s pair..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I did modify some spare covers a few years ago with brass mesh epoxied in. drilled lower down as i wanted a decal. Got a bit carried away and did the sprocket cover as well.

#17 ·
@Bonnie59, I've got a different view then most on here regarding the "return it to original" idea, I dont believe these bikes are going to be worth that much more if they posses all their original parts, at least not for a very long time. I have an all original 1970 Triumph Bonneville, with the exception of the tires everything you see on it is original, its certainly worth more then it cost new but it took 50 years to achieve that. Our bikes today will take a very long time to get those same results, some of us will not live long enough to ever see that.

I took my side covers and cut the middle out of them(picture drawing a line parallel to the perimeter about 3/4 to 1" in), then recessed that part that I cut out and gave it a layered look, painted them and they look good to me, I have some really coarse copper mesh, I intend to do what your suggesting with it, I dont want to redo my redone side covers so I bought some Chinese knock offs on ebay, cant tell the difference from the originals and I'm going to cut those up and install the mesh behind my cutouts, then I'm going to use coppe paint to pinstripe my tank, hell if it dont come out the way I want I'll redo the whole thing!

#18 ·
@Bonnie59, I've got a different view then most on here regarding the "return it to original" idea, I dont believe these bikes are going to be worth that much more if they posses all their original parts, at least not for a very long time. I have an all original 1970 Triumph Bonneville, with the exception of the tires everything you see on it is original, its certainly worth more then it cost new but it took 50 years to achieve that. Our bikes today will take a very long time to get those same results, some of us will not live long enough to ever see that.

I took my side covers and cut the middle out of them(picture drawing a line parallel to the perimeter about 3/4 to 1" in), then recessed that part that I cut out and gave it a layered look, painted them and they look good to me, I have some really coarse copper mesh, I intend to do what your suggesting with it, I dont want to redo my redone side covers so I bought some Chinese knock offs on ebay, cant tell the difference from the originals and I'm going to cut those up and install the mesh behind my cutouts, then I'm going to use coppe paint to pinstripe my tank, hell if it dont come out the way I want I'll redo the whole thing!
I know what you’re saying to be honest. I’ve been around the classic bike scene since the 80s and some bits of kit are seriously over valued. If NVT had moved on and developed some competitive machines (which they easily could and should have) then Bloor wouldn’t have had to scrap the machines they were producing and start again... that said the air cooled Bonnies have stabilised in value and seem to hold their value ok...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.