Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Which material of pivot plate would you be interested in purchasing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

This poll is related to all users of Triumph watercooled twin variants of motorcycle who have had pivot plate failures which cause the engine to get stuck in gear. (most commonly being unable to down shift)
After some research and multiple part failures I wasnt happy with chasing Triumph for goodwill repairs every 3000 miles so instead decided to try and identify the problem and create a better solution than OEM parts to rectify it.
These models of motorcycle are potentially affected as they share the same part which is a T1198765.

• Bonneville Bobber & Bobber Black
  • Bonneville T100 & T100 Black
  • Bonneville T120 & T120 Black
  • Scrambler 1200 XC & XE
  • Speed Twin
  • Street Twin VIN up to 914972 and VIN from 914973 onwards
  • Street Cup
  • Street Scrambler 2017 onwards and 2019 onwards
  • Thruxton 1200 & 1200R

From the research, I have proposed that a new machined part (not metal injection moulded) be made from either stainless steel 316 or titanium grade 5.
The part has also been modified and shortened by 2mm.

Now this is not a business start up and I am not chasing pound signs, the prices are about £2 above cost just for the purpose of rounding to the nearest whole figure, I will happily and graciously accept slight tips or overpayments when or if that stage is reached but this is more of a help all those in need rather than just myself project.
I will need 20 or more guinea pigs to be genuinely be interested in purchasing a plate so I can get the proposed prices below.

I say guniea pigs because the part will not have been tested for longevity until any time after I recieve mine this Friday (05/03/2021).
I am not claiming this part to be a fix for anyone who like me has experienced multiple part failures, my bike has less than 9000 miles on it so a plate that lasts more than10000 miles before a failure will be a vast improvement to me than one that lasts 2000 or 3000.
I would hope that with a modified, machined part in the selected materials they will last the majority of the bikes life.
I am being fully honest with everyone by saying this is not a proven fix (but I am hoping it will be) - call this the test phase if you will.

Please note that I will not be placing any orders until I have enough interest in the preferred option, also as above, please only register any interest if you genuinely want to commit to a purchase as I am not asking for money up front so this is a risk to me.

These are only approximations and are mostly dependant on hitting the 20's but the lead time from placement of order would be 1 month for stainless and 2 months or over for titanium as I would most likely want to confirm it is right by procuring a one off rather than ordering 20 due to it being a different supplier than the stainless.
ETA would be posted upon placement of order.

Thanks eveyone, I look forward to the results and I hope this will be a solution to those in a similar situation who enjoy the bike too much to give up on it because of an inconvenient fault.

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
285 Posts
Super update. I had discussed the same thing with Stuart Fillingham a while ago in the hope that Motone might take up the challenge to machine and harden some T120 pivot plates, but you beat everyone to the punch, so thank you. Whoever at Triumph decided to use MIM to make this part is probably ruing the decision, but some things never change in the Brit Iron industry - the opportunity to save a few $ is just too tempting to pass up! ;) Can anyone say "Lucas Electrics?"

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, appreciate the response!
Im surprised Tec bike parts hasnt gotten in on the action either to be honest!
The lucas electronics pun is a bit before my time as im only 29 but a quick search brings 15 or so jokes up on a Jag forum! Very funny to read! Guessing they sacrificed quality for margins at some point then?

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
285 Posts
I own 3 vintage Norton Commandos and 2 Vintage BSAs so I've been up to my a$$ in Lucas stuff for years. Now two modern Triumphs - T120 and T100 added to the herd - and I LOVE THEM ALL!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Guessing they sacrificed quality for margins at some point then?
It is my understanding at the time lucas was selling the bits to the manufacturers with out a warranty. They left it up to Jag, Triumph, etc. to take care of the customers, therefor they didn't care about failure rates.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi @oldgoldie, due to personal circumstances, Ive only managed to get about 1000 miles on my bike this year so nowhere near an extensive longevity test of the plate, however the shifts do feel positive and so far so good.

In terms of actually placing an order for 20 or so, there hasn't been enough interest for me to take the plunge and make an order and I'm currently not in a financial position to be able to do that either which is a shame as I would like to have had some on hand for anyone interested.

As I have no interest in monetizing the project I could just share the file required for the 5 axis milling for anyone wanting to get a one off quoted and made themselves but the prices given above wont mean anything.
I think the one offs I got made were about £260 for stainless steel 316 and £427 for grade 5 titanium.

Finally, regarding the lucas point, not a very nice move to do that and hide behind another brand, must have sorted something out though as theyre still going!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Hi Everyone,

This poll is related to all users of Triumph watercooled twin variants of motorcycle who have had pivot plate failures which cause the engine to get stuck in gear. (most commonly being unable to down shift)
After some research and multiple part failures I wasnt happy with chasing Triumph for goodwill repairs every 3000 miles so instead decided to try and identify the problem and create a better solution than OEM parts to rectify it.
These models of motorcycle are potentially affected as they share the same part which is a T1198765.

• Bonneville Bobber & Bobber Black
  • Bonneville T100 & T100 Black
  • Bonneville T120 & T120 Black
  • Scrambler 1200 XC & XE
  • Speed Twin
  • Street Twin VIN up to 914972 and VIN from 914973 onwards
  • Street Cup
  • Street Scrambler 2017 onwards and 2019 onwards
  • Thruxton 1200 & 1200R

From the research, I have proposed that a new machined part (not metal injection moulded) be made from either stainless steel 316 or titanium grade 5.
The part has also been modified and shortened by 2mm.

Now this is not a business start up and I am not chasing pound signs, the prices are about £2 above cost just for the purpose of rounding to the nearest whole figure, I will happily and graciously accept slight tips or overpayments when or if that stage is reached but this is more of a help all those in need rather than just myself project.
I will need 20 or more guinea pigs to be genuinely be interested in purchasing a plate so I can get the proposed prices below.

I say guniea pigs because the part will not have been tested for longevity until any time after I recieve mine this Friday (05/03/2021).
I am not claiming this part to be a fix for anyone who like me has experienced multiple part failures, my bike has less than 9000 miles on it so a plate that lasts more than10000 miles before a failure will be a vast improvement to me than one that lasts 2000 or 3000.
I would hope that with a modified, machined part in the selected materials they will last the majority of the bikes life.
I am being fully honest with everyone by saying this is not a proven fix (but I am hoping it will be) - call this the test phase if you will.

Please note that I will not be placing any orders until I have enough interest in the preferred option, also as above, please only register any interest if you genuinely want to commit to a purchase as I am not asking for money up front so this is a risk to me.

These are only approximations and are mostly dependant on hitting the 20's but the lead time from placement of order would be 1 month for stainless and 2 months or over for titanium as I would most likely want to confirm it is right by procuring a one off rather than ordering 20 due to it being a different supplier than the stainless.
ETA would be posted upon placement of order.

Thanks eveyone, I look forward to the results and I hope this will be a solution to those in a similar situation who enjoy the bike too much to give up on it because of an inconvenient fault.

Good post.

·
Registered
2020 T120
41 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Haven't been here in a while but surprised this hasn't received more play. Don't think it's getting the exposure it should or there'd be better response. JMHO of course

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Haven't been here in a while but surprised this hasn't received more play. Don't think it's getting the exposure it should or there'd be better response. JMHO of course
Most owner's experience with this probably falls into one of two categories. Either they have not had a problem, or (like me) the bike stopped downshifting and the problem was sorted out by Triumph under warranty. With my 2016 T120, there has been no further occurrence since the initial failure over three years ago. It's just not a problem.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I own 3 vintage Norton Commandos and 2 Vintage BSAs so I've been up to my a$$ in Lucas stuff for years. Now two modern Triumphs - T120 and T100 added to the herd - and I LOVE THEM ALL!
The best thing I ever done was to install a Joe Hunt maggie to my 850 Norton as well when I had my old 81 Triumph Thunderbird, never had wiring problems after that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts