Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
This is a great looking Triton and well built, I have been into Norton's and Featherbed frames since I was 17 and my mate Don who got me into them, I brought a brand new 74 850 Commando in 76 and in 79 brought a 57 Wideline Featherbed frame off my mate Don and in the early 80's started the convertion of a hot 850 Commando motor to the Featherbed frame, to this day I still own and ride it.
I have also a 650 Domie in a Slimline Featherbed I am building and have thought about putting a modern motor into it, I thought about a 1200 Evo motor in as well a modern Triumph motor, but one thing I didn't want to do is modified a orginal Featherbed frame, the modern Triumph motor will fit but if you need to adjust your valves the frame has to be cut at top frame rail and be able to pull apart to pull the valve covers off or leave it the way it is and pull the motor out every time you need to do the valves.
Cutting and changing a orginal Featherbed frame would have a affect on how it handles from the orginal design, who knows, but there are a lot of reproduced frame around for that.
My mate Don builds and races Tritons but I kept with Norton and we are still good mates, but my stock 1200 Truxton handles as good as my Featherbed but the Norton is so much lighter and nimble to throw around.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Mine from a few years ago. T6 and Slimline.
Tri that's a lovely Triton, did you build it and do you still own it, I am building a 1960 Manxman a rare bike but its a ex Mike Farrell race bike so being build as a café racer as not to many orginal parts, was building it for my youngest daughter but she is now into Nissin drift cars so now it will be another toy for me.

Ashley

·
Registered
174 Posts
One of our local historic bike club members,has a "Norvin" ,but as pretty as the Vincent motor is, I think the Triumph motor makes for a leaner looking steed .
In the 70's I did see a Ford Cortina motor in a feather bed !!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Modern Triton from downunder

Here are some pics of a modern take on the Triton by Don Pender. Don't know much about the bike but I believe it couldn't be registered for road use. Last I heard of it was on ebay somewhere in Western Australia.

Don is now living in the Phillipines and is producing some very high quality bits and pieces of cafe racer gear, mainly for Nortons. I bought a set of alloy wheels and a 6 piston front disc conversion from him some years back. very tasty stuff.

http://www.tritonmotorcycleparts.com/297620484

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Don is the one that said you have to cut the top rails and bolt them back for getting the valve covers off, not sure why it can't be rego its bee around for sometime and has changed hands a few time, yes Don make some great stuff for upgrading Norton's, I think he a Brisbane lad, he a regular on Access Norton forum.

Ashley

1 - 10 of 10 Posts