Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Not to wander off topic too far, but speaking of exhaust sounds - I just saw a beautiful restored Norton 850 from I think 1970 with the twin peashooters on it. The owner had swapped the two Amals for a single Mikuni, and he said he had no jetting issues with the setup (talk about luck!) In any case, when he kick started it, it sounded absolutely sweet! Lots of low rumble at idle, and when he took off it really growled, but in a really dark and sultry way. Now I think I have a better idea of what Beemie is describing - a really unique and robust sound that is definitely more old school and earthy than my Legend with its TORs. He also said he owned a 98 TBS and 4 more Nortons in his basement which were in various stages of restoration. Man, it was a beauty, and the forward leaning cylinder heads made it look fast just sitting still! Black tank with gold paint, and stainless fenders - very sweet to look at!
I had no jetting issues with my single Mikuni either.
Part of the souns you are hearing with vintage engine is due to valve overlap. They weren't as concerned with emissions back then.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You guys should make it out to British in the Blue Ridge. There's tons of great running vintage stuff to see and hear. They are riders not just show bikes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Jamo,
I purchased my 1998 TB Sport in March. Asking price was $3000. It had 20K miles on it. Corbin Seat, Givi Sport Screen and D&D 3 into 3 Exhaust with Stage 1 Carb Kit. Cherry clean bike. I took it home for $2600. Personally, I think $5K is to high.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hey Jamo,
I purchased my 1998 TB Sport in March. Asking price was $3000. It had 20K miles on it. Corbin Seat, Givi Sport Screen and D&D 3 into 3 Exhaust with Stage 1 Carb Kit. Cherry clean bike. I took it home for $2600. Personally, I think $5K is to high.
I agree with you, Red Rocket 3. I turned up another TBS. It is a 2004. Price is $4,500, so I'm getting closer. THe owner was talking about trading me for my 2008 ZX-10R plus some cash.

I will probably keep looking. I think I like the newer ones with the repositioned exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I agree with you, Red Rocket 3. I turned up another TBS. It is a 2004. Price is $4,500, so I'm getting closer. THe owner was talking about trading me for my 2008 ZX-10R plus some cash.

I will probably keep looking. I think I like the newer ones with the repositioned exhaust pipes.
Jamo,

From all the looking I've done, I would say that $4500 is pretty much in the middle of what '04s have been selling for in the last few months.

Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey Jamo,
I purchased my 1998 TB Sport in March. Asking price was $3000... I took it home for $2600. Personally, I think $5K is to high.
Idaho RR, you are very lucky you saw that on Craigslist (or wherever) first! I was in Spokane back in March, and on the hunt for my TBS. Finally found it over on Bainbridge Island, which is probably why I paid too much (apparently).

Hey, I'm happy.

I've had the TBS for fice months now, and I'm really starting to click with it. I had a another GREAT ride on Saturday. 450 miles with a bunch of sportbike guys at a quick pace.

I'm old enough now (mid-40s) that I don't feel the need to measure my manhood on every ride, but on Sat. I did surprise a few of the guys who were trying to lose me in the twisties on liter bikes. They could easily've outrun me, and (let's face it) their bikes are made to corner better than the TBS. However, with good brake & throttle control, you can have as much fun as is prudent (and more, if you wish) on the street as you can with a sportbike.

Saturday Ride

My TBS is hidden behind the Yamaha, dang it!

And I like the howl thru the TORs... Beemie, I've ridden old Triumph, Nortons, & BSAs, and agree with the great sound of those bikes. However, I do love the sound of my triple. Not as raw, maybe, but one of the more unique sounding "modern" bikes...

Jamo, I'm not sure what you'll think of the TBS/T-Bird coming from a ZX-10. I think you'll be happier going to a T-bird than to a Bonnie/Thurx. Too small. Of course, tho, I'm biased!

Ranger

41 - 50 of 50 Posts