Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to look at a 2010 Thunderbird tomorrow. New leftover, no ABS. Is there anything I should be concerned with about the '10 over an '11? Any big changes coming for '12?

Any and all input is appreciated...

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The only thing i can think of is the initial run of cams had a defect that in some cases has led to breakage of the decompression mechanism on the ends of the exhaust cam. A few people have had them break, tho no one has had a breakdown as a result. But theres no way to know if that bike has the upgrades cam. The 11's surely do, but i don't think you can know with a 10. it could have the upgraded cams or not. If it's a later one it probably does.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing i can think of is the initial run of cams had a defect that in some cases has led to breakage of the decompression mechanism on the ends of the exhaust cam. A few people have had them break, tho no one has had a breakdown as a result. But theres no way to know if that bike has the upgrades cam. The 11's surely do, but i don't think you can know with a 10. it could have the upgraded cams or not. If it's a later one it probably does.
Thanks! I'll check the production date. Hopefully it'll be a "sooner" rather than "later" thing and would be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Is there anyway of knowing a little before hand if yours is going to break? Is there any telltale clicking or clunking to let you know a problem is coming? I can definitely here the top of my motor working depending on where I am in the throttle and rpm range but I would suppose that to be normal as it's right there open to the air in between mah knees.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Well, of the 2 or 3 people i read about who had this, none that i recall said they heard anything. In fact, the one i remember best was big jack, and he said he wouldn't have known if he hadn't taken it in for valve adjustment. I was told mine were the beefed up ones because the BB kit i got was made after the issue was discovered. However, i think mine may have broken. I used to hear the clatter of the compression release for 2-3 seconds (as many have also described....it's normal) every time i started the bike without fail....every time till about a couple months ago. (bike is now 2 yrs) Then it stopped and i haven't heard it since. But i have twice heard what sounded like parts rattling around. So it would make sense that it broke off. However, there are two, one on each side and for them to both break at the same time seems impossible. But i have a theory on that....if one breaks it may change the dynamic or speed of the startup and maybe the other one then doesn't make any noise.

So i fear mine may have gone. the thing is, from what engage said, his dealer says if they do break theres no place for them to go and they are stuck there where they can do no harm. So they won't cause any problems, and they also appear to be un-necassary as a starting aid because as big jack and others have said, it did not make the bike any harder to start. I suspect that like the SAI it's a design aspect that triumph added thinking it would be needed but turns out wasn't.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I still hear the clickety snickety when I start up - I've envisioned metal parts clacking together until the oil pressure reaches them - nice to know it's something else.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
When did the 2010 production run begin? My production date is supposedly 1/27/2010 which sounds like an early model, but I hear some people received 2010 models in mid 2009? Perhaps a better question is when did the first 2011 models come out?

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
2010 was the first official model year. There were pre-orders of i think 250 bikes that were delivered to those who pre-ordered them in june/july '09. Those however were '10 models released early to those who pre-ordered. Your bike...if you did not pre-order it and you bought it new, then it was a regular '10 as opposed to a pre-ordered '10. Thats not going to tell you anything about the cam issue tho because triumph hasn't released any official info about vin numbers that are affected. They haven't even publicly admitted there is an issue.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Thanks Dazco, mine was not a pre-order. I'm not really concerned re the cam issue based on what you've said. Mostly just curious about where in the model year mine fits in.
I've had no issues with mine, and I still come home with a big grin when I ride it. It's my 4th bike and no question my favorite.
I keep the Thunderbird in FL and ride an '02 Suzuki Volusia when I'm at our place in the NC mountains. I enjoy the Volusia on our mountain roads - was on the BRP today - but it really makes me appreciate the torque of the TB and I also keep looking for that missing 6th gear when I hear the motor winding up!
Wish I could get my wife interested in riding - the Volusia would be just right for her - no luck so far.
BTW, I really appreciate your thoughtful and informed postings.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The manufacture date on mine is 10/09 just went in for the 12,000 mi. service and the decomp thingys are fine. Must have gotten a thursday bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts