Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I should be picking up my new Hagon progressive fork springs and Hagon shocks, black body black springs. I decided not to go shrouded, but did get the 310mm to lower the bike. My question is do I need to or should I change the oil in the forks? My bike has about 3000 miles on it. Also my headers, minus the crossover pipe, and the adapter pipes are on their way to Joplin to get ceramic coated inside and out. Black of course. I'll just have to paint the mufflers to match. Anyone know how hot these mufflers get? I have 3 cans of stove paint I can use, but I want to try and match the headers when they come back. I was thinking there is a better selection of colors in engine paint and I believe it is good up to about 500 deg.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Lox,I started with the BBQ paint,but have tried different paints over that.The Duplicolor engine enamel seems to be holding up fine.Your mufflers won`t reach 500F,probably not even half that.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I got my Hagons directly from Hagon in the UK and they shipped the progressives with fork oil. Things might be different if you get them from a US reseller. You don't need to change the fork oil at 3,000 miles. I can't comment on the quality of the OEM fork oil though. Your bike will be transformed believe me. Good call.

·
Registered
01 Bonnie, 12 Tiger
248 Posts
Since you have the forks apart why not change the oil. It will be 3000 miles less when you have to do it again. Fork oil is cheap.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up my Hagons Friday and had the shocks mounted before I went into the house. They look great and I'm sure the ride will improve also, I still have to do the front springs. Picked up a bottle of fork oil, read over the instructions with the springs and it seems simple to change. The say to put oil into the forks until it's 300 mm from the top. It would be easier had they said to add an amount. Does anyone know about how much oil to put in?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Lox,did you remove the forks and drain them completely?I didn`t when I put the Hagon springs in,just siphoned out most of it and added in the 20W I was told to use. Rode like a hay wagon. :evil: Since the springs are the same length as stock,Id say just swap them out and try it with the factory 5W for a while. I have the Ikons in my bike now and drained the oil completely.I uses 5W to refill and have a very smooth,responsive ride at the expense of some brake dive.I`ll probably drain off a little bit and add some thicker stuff someday,but for now.its not a problem.Each leg took half a bottle,just as Brent said it should.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rod, Thanks. I got my springs from our local dealer and a liter bottle of 20W fork oil. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the forks and the instructions say to pump the forks to get it all out. I don't mind taking them off either, did that before when I put on gaiters. Taking them off actually sounds easier. Since my shocks are 310mm, I want to lower the forks about an inch anyway.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I`ve heard there is a drain plug too,but I think it is the retaining bolt for the damper rod? :???:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wrong, there is no drain plug, just the retaining bolt. I did get them changed, new 20W oil and dropped the front about 3/4". Haven't tried them out yet, still waiting on the headers to come back. But the black shocks look much better. I sat on it and now I can sit with my feet flat on the ground. One thing I noticed is due to it being lowered it takes a little more effort to get it on the centerstand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts