Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I figured it's worth creating a space for discussion of the above, by all means not something new and it has been done before, but I think there is a lot of potential in using your iPhone/Android phone as a digital speedo especially as needs and technology progresses.

The idea is simple, most modern bikes rolling off the production line (including Triumphs) come with a simple controller network (CAN bus) that passes data such as RPM, oil temp, throttle position, warnings and much much more, accessed via an OBD2 connector for maintenance and ECU tuning. Using a WiFi or bluetooth adapter this information can be surfaced on any mobile device with a visual interface, replacing the need for a stock speedometer.

There is a mass of various OBD compatible applications out there to download. This is generally the choice you get.

Frame.jpg

A tendency to simply dump masses of data visualisation on a page, without much consideration to what information has priority for the actual rider. If everything is important - nothing is.

Some forum users that have done this:
J M L
DennisD

About two years ago I mocked up a design of what a connected motorcycle experience may look like and am revisiting this concept again as it seems even more relevant today with the likes of custom builds and motogadget speedos. My full time job is designing digital products such as apps and web applications so this isn't just a hobby, but a side project. At this point I'm trying to gather some research and understanding if this is even something that motorcyclists would use.

engine-on.jpg

If you would use such an application what features would be essential or nice to haves? And if you are already using something similar share your experience and examples.

·
Driftless Admin
11,754 Posts
I use my phone as my speedometer because my physical speedometer is very off, and I get the added compass which I like a lot. Other than that, I wished my cell phone app showed less information, not more. Speed, RPMs, and direction. Don't need much more than that. Maybe warning lights and your selected gear indication as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice idea but why bother. All the std gauges tell me all i need to know and see.
What about navigation, don't you stick your phone on your handlebars anyway to see where you are going? Once you already have a touchscreen supercomputer attached to your bike it begs the question, why keep the std gauges?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting idea.
Since you are using OBD data, then any speedometer error would still show up in the app. So if you could build in a speed error correction function you might see more interest.
I personally would be more interested in data logging from the OBD.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting idea.
Since you are using OBD data, then any speedometer error would still show up in the app. So if you could build in a speed error correction function you might see more interest.
I personally would be more interested in data logging from the OBD.
When you say speed error correction do you mean providing more accurate speed? GPS speed in any mapping app is already a very reliable input on your speed over ground.

There is an incredible log of data available via the OBD. It's easy to imagine how this can be useful for off-the-bike use, from trip distances, lap times, health of various vehicle components, performance output and even service reminders. It's nothing more than a talking point for now, but apps already exist that do this - they just aren't very good or motorcycle centric. I had a screen designed showing something along those lines, where you could see all vehicles added to your profile:

Off-Diavel.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just started using Torque, great APP. Would like to see the turn signal, main beam etc. warning lights as when touring like to strap bedroll to handlebars, could then use phone for speedo and warning lights . Thinking about moving speedo setup for touring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts