Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang!
I'm due for an oil change and was wondering if everyone is using the MObil 1 15W/50T oil that Triumph recommends or if there is a less expensive route. At $60 a gallon I would really like to find a cheaper alternative but not at the expense of performance or possible engine harm.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Chris

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Oils well that ends well. Tons of oil threads here, search & ye shall find. I am still using up my new old stock of M1-15/50 "red cap" in the 5 gal jug. I paid well south of $20 per jug for that stuff, sometimes less than $15 each. The Rotella & Delvac contingent should be reporting for duty shortly...:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
My understanding is that in order to keep your warranty valid that you must use the Mobil One oil. I have heard that Triumph has requested oil samples for engine related warranty claims and refused the claim if a different oil is found. I may change brands after warranty, but will use the Mobil One for now. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My understanding is that in order to keep your warranty valid that you must use the Mobil One oil. I have heard that Triumph has requested oil samples for engine related warranty claims and refused the claim if a different oil is found. I may change brands after warranty, but will use the Mobil One for now. YMMV.
Not so... any oil with the recommended ratings will be OK and will not invalidate your warranty.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Oooooohhh Noooooooo another oil thread!!

Shell Rotella Full Synthetic....Wal Mart, cheap!

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Mobil V-Twin 20w/50. Designed for Hardleys, used and recommended by Triumph Owners. It's the only oil I use. About $10 a quart.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I am very happy since converting to Shell Rotella Full Synth - change frequency every 2000 miles.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Oil

Used to use it back when. I use nothing BUT Amsoil 20/50 now for 3 yrs. Wouldnt use anything but!! MAny reasons I wont get into- there here somewhere already. There is a guy here that disc it . It'll go the distance & the motor really likes it!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
+1 on the Amsoil 20w-50! i use it and have been very happy. i get it at the local yamaha dealer here in town for 44.00 a gallon. that would be 16.00 dollars cheaper than your 60.00 projected price. -keith

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Mobil V-Twin 20w/50. Designed for Hardleys, used and recommended by Triumph Owners. It's the only oil I use. About $10 a quart.
A+, Me too...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I use Mobile One Racing 4t. I'll purchase inexpensive tires, but I won't fill my babies crank case with cheap oil. Kem

(I can't believe we have another oil thread:)

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Silkolene for me, mainly because it was cheaper then Mobil

and after inspecting the valve cam shafts and clearances found there was not a mark on them.

having said that I am sure Mobil 1 is an excellent oil.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Valvoline motorcycle oil has the JASO MA certification on the bottle and costs less than $5 per quart at Advance Auto. I mix 2 qts of 20-50 and 2 qts of 10-40. In fact I just changed my oil a few minutes ago. About $21 with the Walmart 6607 filter and Valvoline oil.

I've never actually read a thread that demonstrated lubrication failure on a stock motor, no matter what oil was used. I bet it would take much more than 100,000 miles to "wear out" a stock motor or tranny that wasn't abused. Not many bikes live that long.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
...I've never actually read a thread that demonstrated lubrication failure on a stock motor, no matter what oil was used...
Aye; oil threads, however entertaining, are mostly "much ado". Any reasonable oil, filter & OCI (oil change interval for the acronymically challenged) is going to protect just fine...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Y'know, there are some people who think $100 a bottle wine is ten times better than $10 a bottle wine, and there are those, like me, who think you can't tell the difference. I won't spend more than $10 on a bottle, but when it comes to my Bonnie, well, nothing is too good.

So here, baby, take your Mobil 1 Racing 4T. Yes, Daddy loves you.

BTW, this place sells Racing 4T at $9.99 a quart.
http://www.autobarn.net/mob1mx10moto.html
It's 10W-40, but that's ok according to the Triumph manual.

Peace fellows. Those who don't remember the history of oil wars are condemned to repeat them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Advance auto and my local Walmart has M1 4t racing 10w/40w in the motorcycle section for $9 a qt.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
The Amsoil 20W50 automobile oil is also JASO-rated and a couple bucks cheaper per quart ($9), compared to the 20W50 motorcycle oil ($11). It makes me wonder what the difference is. :confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts