Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a specific Triumph tool that can be purchased for altering the mixture screw ? Can it be done with the carbs in situ?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I have a tool I made out of a CK 110 deg angle drive adapter (~€10)

If you fancy a spin out down to my place I'd be happy to help you with the carbs, maybe do a balance 1st? (I've all the tools & space under the car port to work.)

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As ever thanks for the info. The offer of help is very welcome Mike but getting away isn't easy at the moment. We now have a wee boy in the family and the little girl is not two yet so busy times. He was born two weeks ago.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Getting away...

I can't see a problem BB - if you take the triple, the girl can follow on the ST and that leaves the VFR for the lad. The Mrs can then have a bit of quiet time while you're all out of the way :D

I'll say this; that day will be here in the blink of an eye, believe you me :eek:

On topic, I got sick of burning my hand using a screwdriver bit and bought the tool from Morgan Carbtune. Expensive but makes the job much more accurate, easier and safer.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
As ever thanks for the info. The offer of help is very welcome Mike but getting away isn't easy at the moment. We now have a wee boy in the family and the little girl is not two yet so busy times. He was born two weeks ago.
Hey, congratulations on your new son :)

Btw, you haven't said if there's a particular reson you want to adjust the mixture screws? I've not found it makes a huge difference to move them off a 'base' setting. If you've some perceived running issue, I would balance the carbs 1st - that does make a big difference.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No specific running issue with the bike, it's flying along fairly good.
What i have noticed recently is an odd spit back into the airbox while she's ticking over. Is this an indicator of the mixture being on the lean side? I would be curious to see how many turns out mine are set at as i have ignored them completely. Maybe i should continue with my hands off approach if all is well?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
No specific running issue with the bike, it's flying along fairly good.
What i have noticed recently is an odd spit back into the airbox while she's ticking over. Is this an indicator of the mixture being on the lean side? I would be curious to see how many turns out mine are set at as i have ignored them completely. Maybe i should continue with my hands off approach if all is well?
The only time I've had a spit back is occasionally when starting with the engine hot. I reprogrammed the Ignitech to give two revolutions before initiating sparks when starting & it hasn't done it since. (For various reasons I explained in the main thread, the Ignitech isn't quite as slick as the Triumph igniters when starting, tho' only marginally.)

Most likely the spit back relates to the dead spark & an occasional failure to fire on the right stroke. Could be a slight blockage in a pilot jet/circuit or maybe a poor connection in an ignition circuit. A bit of unburnt fuel just catches on the next (non-compression) stroke? I suppose it's just possible there's a slightly tight inlet valve, if they've not been checked in a lot of miles?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I don't think Mike would appreciate being called a brit:)

Haha...yeah, I live in Ireland (I should maybe add that detail to 'County Cork' in the profile!). Tho' I was born and grew up in Manchester...I don't take nationality stuff too seriously tho', citizen of Earth will do fine for me :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha...yeah, I live in Ireland (I should maybe add that detail to 'County Cork' in the profile!). Tho' I was born and grew up in Manchester...I don't take nationality stuff too seriously tho', citizen of Earth will do fine for me :)
Ha ha, Greetings earthling . what is this strange hybrid machine you travel on? :)

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Well ya had me fooled Mike.. I went the other way, born in Limerick and raised in London but I know what you mean, us exports can't be taking nationality too seriously.:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just bought one of those motion pro tool carb tools. Didn't like it. I'll sell it if you are interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts