Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put about 150 miles on my new '09 Bonnie today (just got it yesterday) and it about killed my butt! Maybe I should have increased the preload instead of reducing it but I got it down to the lowest setting and it is still rock hard. It felt like tires were at 50 lbs but checked and 40 rear (dropped that one a tad) and 33 front. I gotta do something, any ideas from the masses?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Butt it hurts

I went with the Thruxton gel seat. Looks better and is a little softer, but still not as comfortable over long distance as other more contoured seats on other bikes like the Tiger or Daytona.
Hope you find something that suits.
Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are like me it takes me a few weeks to get used to a seat. Throughout my years I have yet to find a stock seat that doesn't give me a pain in the a#$. I usually go for an aftermarket Corbin or Sargent seat. For my Bonnie I bought one with some aftermarket Sargent gel in the seat. Haven't put any miles on it yet, but we shall see.

·
Registered
41 Posts
150 miles is a lot!

Especially if you have not ridden a lot in a while? My first ride on my new 09 was like 80 miles over 3 or 4 hours of twisty roads and another 60 or so miles probably would have wiped me out. Especially since the guy told me to start riding it real hard at 100 miles.

My first reaction on my new 09 T-100 was that the shocks were pretty nice. But I don't have much of a basis for comparison. The only other bike I've been on was a used 70 TR6R 650 that had been owned by a very large guy who had put on very stiff shocks that I got used to.

Some of those who are very knowledgeable and experienced on here tend to diss the stock shocks, and many upgrade from them. There are a number of threads about that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you get used to it

the first time I went on a 100 + mile trip I had the same exxperience - even had to stop and walk around periodically - but as I got used to it - the trips were MUCH more easier and the pain in the arse got less and less.

having said that - they say the king and queen optional seat is MUCH nicer

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Have a look at Ikons for the bonnie. I have them on my Thruxton and am very happy. I have Wilbers, Ohlins and works on my other bikes and, whilst they are all high quality (and costly) suspension systems, I am very happy with Ikons which are very reasonable in price and a big jump on the OEM shocks. Also, consider a spring change out on the front. Your butt will get used to the seat over time. A quick easy solution is to wear padded cycle shorts in the meantime...

·
30,527 Posts
Some people (I'm one of them) just can't take the stock seat - that may be all it is. You might want to look at some of the other seat options. I am currently testing a triumph solo seat, my current best is the corbin seat. I can go 450 miles on the Corbin, 40 miles on the stock.

Something to consider anyway.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Agree with Prop. Corbins are great - hard at first but they are always comfortable for long hauls - you're looking at +$400 for the base seat

·
Registered
35 Posts
Corbin for the 2009 Coming Soon

Corbin doesn't have a seat for the 2009 Bonnies yet, but it will soon. How do I know? They are borrowing my machine for the R&D. Hope to get 'er back soon, and with a more comfortable seat.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The seat on my 09 T100 is horrible; much worse than the stocks seats on my '07s! The best stock seat is the one on the 09 50th Anniversary T100.

Dick

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
My 05 T100 came with the King/Queen on it and the stock as extra. I rode the KQ for some time before trying out the bench. That lasted a day, back went the KQ. Last year I bought a Corbin and at first thought I'd made a mistake since it felt so firm. It's very comfortable now. Anyone want a perfect KQ in brown?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I put about 150 miles on my new '09 Bonnie today (just got it yesterday) and it about killed my butt! Maybe I should have increased the preload instead of reducing it but I got it down to the lowest setting and it is still rock hard. It felt like tires were at 50 lbs but checked and 40 rear (dropped that one a tad) and 33 front. I gotta do something, any ideas from the masses?
If that's a 2009 Bonneville or Bonneville SE that you have and not a Bonneville T100 you will find that the rear shock springs are not a "progressive" spring like all previous Bonnies and they are hash riding as a result.

There was a thread about this a little while back but my search skills must be lacking because I can't find it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mistake

Thanks for all the sugestions. Some more info:

I ride lots, close to 30,000 a year, commute 50 miles rt on an FJR1300 (0k, my butt is spoiled...) or a KLR650 and until yesterday, a BMW K1200LT (gone in exchange for the Bonnie.) I'm not comparing the Bonnie ride to any of these because they are all single shock with progressive linkage. But I don't recall any of my other dual shockers being this stiff. Yes the seat is uncomfortable but I can deal with that (my FJR and KLR have Rick Mayer seats, maybe I'll talk to him about redoing the Bonnie.) It is the pounding over little bumps (and the one big one over a cattleguard that raised my voice two octaves) that bothers me. I'll look into the after market shocks but was hoping to keep this bike pretty stock.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The stock seat is the biggest complaint on these bikes, but thats an easy fix. You can spend 400 or less then 100 to make it better, there are lots of threads of what people did. Not a mistake

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The stock seat is a plank and even a change to the Thruxton stock seat is a big improvement. There is also the Scrambler single seat with rack to consider, which is a big improvement. The new SE Bonnie seat is also better than the standard.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Guessing I'am the only one who likes the stock seat :rolleyes:

I've got my cb1300 booked into re-upholster the seat to a harder feel :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts