Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer a writer friend and I traveled the length of the Mississippi River. We traveled from New Orleans to Lake Itasca in Northern Minnesota (the river's headwaters). We followed back roads only -- no interstate allowed. We took out time, taking what ever time we wanted (13 days).

Jim road an old Kawasak Concours and I must trusty Triumph Bonneville (although I do own a Concours 14 for the record). We blogged his writing and my photographs on a local newspaper site. It was their best read blog last year.

I have compiled the writing and some of the photos on to a server so you can take a look.

Enjoy.

http://ittybittyphoto.com/cycle/river/

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fantastic!

Let me be the first to say how great this is. You guys were doing exactly what so many of us wish to do. I also want to congratulate you on the great writing and great photography, too! That was quite a trip.

I am sure that there are a lot of other motorcycles that might have been more comfortable, etc., but riding this kind of trip on a Bonneville is such a great idea. It really puts you in touch with your surroundings, makes you a part of the scenery so much more than riding a luxury touring machine. Don't get me wrong, I would love to take a trip like this on a great touring motorcycle, too, but the thought of doing this on my Bonneville is so much more exciting.

Great work!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me be the first to say how great this is. You guys were doing exactly what so many of us wish to do. I also want to congratulate you on the great writing and great photography, too! That was quite a trip.

I am sure that there are a lot of other motorcycles that might have been more comfortable, etc., but riding this kind of trip on a Bonneville is such a great idea. It really puts you in touch with your surroundings, makes you a part of the scenery so much more than riding a luxury touring machine. Don't get me wrong, I would love to take a trip like this on a great touring motorcycle, too, but the thought of doing this on my Bonneville is so much more exciting.

Great work!
Thanks for the kind words. IMHO this kind of trip is what the Bonneville was built for. I'm a road less traveled kind of guy myself. We set foot (or tire) on super slap for 7/10ths of one mile (we made a wrong turn) other than that all back roads.

If you find an excuse (any excuse will do) you got to ride the U.S. River Road Route-- although we did deviate as the spirit moved us.

The state of Mississippi was my favorite because of the nice people. Iowa, Wisconsin were the best for the roads. Western Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota for the scenery.

It winter guys -- start planning!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Wonderful story, extraordinary photos. One of my goals before I'm worm fodder is to ride the Mississippi from end-to-end. Thanks for making it look fun and seem possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts