Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spoke with Sean at BC this morning about a vid on their new Retro Predators for Scrams, and we also discussed the possibility of their doing togas like they just recently offered for Bonnies. Since they still have the jig for the pipes they did for the "MI 3" scramblerized Bonnie, he'd already discussed the possibility of BC producing those with the higher-ups. Of course it's something that'd have to be demand driven, so if any of you Scram or Bonnie owners love that left\right classic togas look like I do, it be nice to show BC we're interested!

With an exhaust budget of $700, I had planned on getting aftermarket cans, probably the BC Retro Predators, to install when I get my Scram. However, if BC could do this full split toga exhaust for a reasonable price, I could definitely be pursuaded to dig a little deeper:D, especially if nice heat shields for the mufflers were available.

Here's a pic Casper posted last year of the MI 3 bike for reference-

Any takers?

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Specialty Spares has those mission impossible pipes with different muffler & finish options.
I saw those MI-3s They wouldn't work for me 'cause they're not for EFI bikes, nor are they recommended for passengers (too short maybe?). They only mention fitting Bonnies and Thruxes too, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't work. I emailed Dale at SS recently asking whether he was going to offer any new Scrambler exhaust and he said he wasn't be 'cause Scrams didn't sell well enough. For Bonnies and Thruxes though, price is sure good if they're decent quality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got a set of the Specialty Spares high pipes in black ceramic. I had been in contact with Dale since they were in the process of fabbing them up. They are on the bike right now, though without mufflers and with 12" drag baffles installed. This is too loud for my taste, plus I had wanted the MI:3 look. So, I've got a set of '63-70 Togas on order with Norman Hyde (TRS31's). I plan to shorten the head pipe and bolt on the togas so they terminate at an aesthetically pleasing point. This is all on an '06 Scrambler. I believe the passenger use issue is because the pipes use the rear footpeg mounts for attachment. They are also without shielding. However, this could rather easily be remedied with some fabrication.
I know there is an old BSA A7/A10 '58+ muffler that was used on high pipes (with repros available). This had two bosses welding on for a attachment of a heatshield made specifically for them. These mufflers had similar profiles to the burgess and togas. I'm currently considering adding the shields that were originally made for these, to the togas.....but don't two-up so don't know if it's worth it as of now.
I did add bonnie side covers, as the scrambler right side cover is halved to work with the oem pipes.
I would imagine any high is not ideal for use with a pillion, but universal heatshields are readily available, as are those that can be procurred from a different application and made to work.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a set of the Specialty Spares high pipes in black ceramic. I had been in contact with Dale since they were in the process of fabbing them up. They are on the bike right now, though without mufflers and with 12" drag baffles installed. This is too loud for my taste, plus I had wanted the MI:3 look. So, I've got a set of '63-70 Togas on order with Norman Hyde (TRS31's). I plan to shorten the head pipe and bolt on the togas so they terminate at an aesthetically pleasing point. This is all on an '06 Scrambler. I believe the passenger use issue is because the pipes use the rear footpeg mounts for attachment. They are also without shielding. However, this could rather easily be remedied with some fabrication.
I know there is an old BSA A7/A10 '58+ muffler that was used on high pipes (with repros available). This had two bosses welding on for a attachment of a heatshield made specifically for them. These mufflers had similar profiles to the burgess and togas. I'm currently considering adding the shields that were originally made for these, to the togas.....but don't two-up so don't know if it's worth it as of now.
I did add bonnie side covers, as the scrambler right side cover is halved to work with the oem pipes.
I would imagine any high is not ideal for use with a pillion, but universal heatshields are readily available, as are those that can be procurred from a different application and made to work.
blackplag - thanks for the interesting input. I'm a little confused though about your shielding plans for the NH togas. Were you planning on using some made for the old BSAs you mentioned, and if so, do the Hydes have the bosses or will you need to fab some? I'd been considering Hydes but since I need passenger shielding, I couldn't see paying extra for their shielding, which I didn't even like. I'm asking because although I love togas, every time I see something other than TORs I run up against the shielding issue.

That's why I'm currently leaning towards British Customs' retro predators because they angle in, which supposedly negates the need for shielding. Small reverse cones instead of togas, but still cool IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been looking around for the mi3 high pipes for a while. I'm really digging the oldschool look to these - simple and classic yet different on the new bonnies. my (rather dumb) question to you regards the offering I see from Specialty Spares (via fasteddysports.com)...

they offer options of 'shorty', 'megaphone' and 'slash-cut' mufflers as well as what seems to be the option of just getting the pipes...am I to assume that I can take the stock (peashooter?) muffler off the bonnie and attach it to Specialty Spares' high pipes? looking at the picture that was recently posted here, the mi3 bike looks to have a smaller/short peashooter than what comes stock on the bonnie.

Anyone wanna set me straight on this? thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
scrambler57-
Yes, I'm referring to shields originally made for the BSA mufflers, though I'm having trouble finding the site where I had seen them available. I would have to weld bosses onto the Hydes to accomadate them. I will continue searching for a pic (or link) to these sheilds as they seem well suited and complement the tear drop shaped silencers.
****EDIT-
I have since found pics of the heat shield I was referencing, as well as that of the BSA high level mufflers with bosses. I believe the Togas could be done up similarly using these shields. Pics attached.
The mufflers are for a different BSA model than I originally mentioned, though I believe a non-bossed version that looked the same was used on one or more other models.

mookie-
The specialty spares pipes come with 12" drag baffle inserts included in the base price. The muffler options are the 12" shorties that are widely available (I believe Emgo) as well as 17" reverse cone Emgos. I don't know what the slash cut pieces are. The headpipes do need shortened to accommodate the silencers, at least the 17" ones, not sure about the 12" shorties. This is all due to appearance and making available a mounting location for the mufflers, as it's not a good idea to rely solely on their attachment to the headpipe.
The pipes are 1.5" O.D., so best suited for a slip on type muffler with this or larger diameter inlet (which could be used with a reducer sleeve). The OE Bonnie mufflers have a bend in the inlet to the muffler, so they would need this cut off and something welded in place and would then likely need welded to the headpipe as I believe they are "slip-ins" as opposed to slip-ons(at least the scrambler's are like this). I'm also not sure what their inlet I.D. is. I believe they are also a bit long for the application (appearance wise).

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Will do.
Since it's still nice and cold here in the midwest, I elected to wait and see if I could obtain a pair of unplated Togas. Norman said this would be possible if they sold out their current stock and thus needed more made. I'm going to hold out 6 weeks or so to see if this happens. Otherwise I'm going to have them send plated units which I will scuff up and have coated. I imagine that unplated would be ideal for coating adherence, but know from experience that I can get buy with a scuff up before coating.
I imagine 6 weeks is all I can allow if I want to get them on the bike in time for warmer weather.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will do.
Since it's still nice and cold here in the midwest, I elected to wait and see if I could obtain a pair of unplated Togas. Norman said this would be possible if they sold out their current stock and thus needed more made. I'm going to hold out 6 weeks or so to see if this happens. Otherwise I'm going to have them send plated units which I will scuff up and have coated. I imagine that unplated would be ideal for coating adherence, but know from experience that I can get buy with a scuff up before coating.
I imagine 6 weeks is all I can allow if I want to get them on the bike in time for warmer weather.
blackplag - apparently Punksutawney Phil concurs with you're waiting 6 weeks for better weather - he saw his shadow this a.m. so winter will be around for awhile:(. Just an aside, I just checked new bonneville's price on togas vs. NH's and there was about $150 difference in NH's favor! Not sure if freight is a consideration, but even so I can't imagine it offsetting the price difference. I guess NB's current stock was purchased when the dollar was much weaker against the pound.

·
Registered
0 Posts
mi3 high pipes

Will do.
HI Michael in california . Do you still have the mi3 high pipes? I am looking for a set. Do you want to sell them? Thank you. [email protected]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts