Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2003 TBS a couple of weeks ago and did my first oil change today. When I pulled the oil filter, the large O-ring was where it should be, but there was definitely no small O-ring. There didn't even seem to be anywhere to put the small O-ring, no groove or any other apparent place to put it.

The Haynes manual says to put the small O-ring on the post, but it doesn't indicate where and doesn't show it installed in any pictures.

Where does the small O-ring go? Is it used on all years/models?

I am a bit concerned here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts

Thanks.

Tap the centre bolt out of the oil filter lower cover and you'll see it near the shoulder of the bolt.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
This is a little hard for me to describe.

The little O-Ring seals the big round plate to the post.

The big round plate I am referring to is the place that the large O-Ring sits in.

I believe if that little o-ring was missing you'd have lots of oil gushing out around that post.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought a 2003 TBS a couple of weeks ago and did my first oil change today. When I pulled the oil filter, the large O-ring was where it should be, but there was definitely no small O-ring. There didn't even seem to be anywhere to put the small O-ring, no groove or any other apparent place to put it.

The Haynes manual says to put the small O-ring on the post, but it doesn't indicate where and doesn't show it installed in any pictures.

Thanks.
I'd bet the old O Ring was doing alright. :confused:QUESTION :confused: ....For about five years I've replaced the filter and for five years the O ring they give you is too large. Which filter gives you the right size? Is if K N?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts