Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a quest a while back to find my missing MPG (as many of you know) It was from 45-49 (depending on conditions) and had dropped to the 36 range. I tried EVERYTHING I could think of and nearly everything you good people suggested. No leaks that I could find, the mapping was good, I had the dealer check it and they said everything was perfect. While they were checking it I had the TOR Map put on just trying…something! (Also figured since my millage was poor...what the heck?) Bike ran great…etc etc etc . And still the lower MPG.

I felt that the culprit might be the inner O-ring at the Fuel inlet. I knew it wasn’t the stock one, but was a tight fit and I could never find any weeping or visible signs of leaks. Using my backyard mechanical training and knowhow I went high tech and wrapped a paper towel around it and left that in place for a few weeks. Science at its finest! When I took it out sure enough…a yellow dried fuel stain! So I got an actual OEM o-ring from the dealer and installed it Monday. I rode the bike to work on my “MPG test route” (same speed, same road, even the same leathers) and what do ya know? 46mpg!! I am guessing if I had the mapping changed back from the TOR I would get near to 50mpg again…but I love the engine response so I’m keeping it.

Thanks all for your suggestions and patience with this saga. I know some of you spoke of the same issue and suggest checking that o-ring…and dropping the $5 for a new one if you must.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Nice work detective! The payback period on that 5-buck investment will be short, but I'm guessing the satisfaction of solving the mystery is justification enough.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very good! I especially like the high tech solution you used to solve the riddle :) As LL noted, I'll remember that one.

Glad to hear that all is well and back to normal for you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Would you mind throwing-up the part number you are talking about so there is no confusion as to which ring exactly? ...is this the one around each injector?

Thanks,

//D

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
....... I think he means the Oring at the fuel connection to the tank.

I'm a bit sceptical as that would mean approx 25% of your tank of gas was leaking out through the fitting to produce figures like that.

It should have been quite noticeable - smell etc.

However if the problem is solved - then good for you:D

Grant:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Iceman,
I think you are on the right track. 25% of your fuel disappearing would be one heck of a mess.

That being said, the o-ring could have been week causing a vacuum and more fuel being used and since you changed it and you are up to your last mpg then whatever happened you are back on track and that is a worthy post.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Would you mind throwing-up the part number you are talking about so there is no confusion as to which ring exactly? ...is this the one around each injector?

Thanks,

//D
The number is T1240181.

I fully admit to meing a fearlessly untrained Mech..that being...I have never had enough $$ to have my vehicles worked on and I dont have a bunch of natural ability or knowledge...so I just get in there and give it a go. Because of this I cant fully reason out the "why" of the soultion...I just know the milliage is back. lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Gus,

I'm in the boat with you........love motorcycling, not a mechanic. I'm alright at changing oil and exchanging parts, maybe brake pads and a few minor tasks. I bit the bullet for the 12K checkup when I bought the bike, but OUCH, the service bill hurt. I'll probably take it to the dealer at 24K too...........Service and repair is expensive, so my hat's off to you and I hope your MPG fix is permanent. Even if it's not you've learned more about the bike. Trial and error is how I have or try to learn most of the time, and if I don't blow something up, melt it down, fall off the back, or get stranded I've saved a few bucks and gained some knowledge..........that being said, be careful and try not to blow something up, melt it down, fall off the back, or get stranded.

Ride Safe,

Mike O'Keefe

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
My $0.02 about leaking fuel

You would think that any significant amount of fuel leaking from the tank would be obvious, but in my experience, it isn't! I took my '03 Sprint in for the 6K mile service and they apparently cracked one of the plastic fuel tank fittings. I rode it this way for several weeks until poor throttle response made me pull off the tank. There was no obvious sign of the leak, probably because residual heat causes the fuel to evaporate pretty quickly. However, when I "fiddled" with the fuel lines in the process of reinstalling the tank, fuel literally poured out! I originally thought I must have broken it when I removed the tank, but the bike ran much better once I replaced the connector.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So i have a 2001 ST and a Trident can with a after market tune, and Im getting 34 mpg. I have new metal connectors (which came with o-rings) so now Im wondering if i need to do some scientific work.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good to hear you got it worked out.

I did my second fill up today to check my MPG....I'm getting just a bit over 46mpg....not too shabby for all the fun I've been having.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Must admit I find all these quoted MPG figures quite amazing. I typically get 44/45 UK MPG from my '09 ST. I got similar figures from my '01 VFR800.

They don't tend to vary much even when I am pressing on a bit.

46 US MPG is approx 54 UK MPG. Doubt I'll ever see that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts