Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting some decent riding time, but shifting on the right side is proving to be interesting. I seem to be finding a lot of false neutrals. Probably every ride. I have adjusted the shift lever to the optimal position for my size 12 foot, but truth be told, I wouldn't mind bending the lever out a bit for better contact.

Is it just me, or do you guys have the same experience?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
false neutrals

Finding false neutrals happens on my bikes too. It's not a big problem. Over-revving on an upshift is the biggest worry. I wish I'd have gotten the rev limiter on my electronic ignition sometimes. If I keep the drive chains adjusted to their optimal tension, I rarely miss a shift. I find that a teflon lined cable gives better feel. Going back and forth to a left and right hand shifter can be interesting at times. I know where my false neutrals are on each of my bikes and know to keep the weight of my foot on the lever all through the 5 to 4 downshift for example. I suppose it's a part of the "charm" of riding a vintage bike. Bob

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Sorry for the high-jack Headtube, but I have a few questions.
I assumed everyone`s gearchanges were perfect.
Am I trying to achieve the impossible?
The last time I rode it ('74 T120V) back in the 1980`s, I had to stamp on the lever to get 1st gear.
Memory is failing...:D
Going through the gears, neutrals were common.
Now after rebuilding with lots of new parts, its a lot better...all gears available (with some hiccups).
This is in the workshop, sometimes neutrals, sometimes jumping gears.
Bearing in mind the G/B is dry, is this the best I can expect?
I suppose the only way to test it is on the road.
Last time my mate could only get 2nd gear :eek:
To be honest, I`m getting tired of stripping down and re-assembling, with little improvement.
The only "to do`s" is the pedal bushes, not even sure its neccessary.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
I rebuilt my box with new springs, bearings and of course converted to a plunger type spring. I left the original bushes as there seemed to be very little wear.
I have an occasional false neutral (if I remember correctly) between second and third. (I'm trying to kick the 20 odd years habit of left foot shifting out of my system) But overall I find the box is not too bad but you do need to give the pedal a good shove. As Plewsy says, get a good pair of boots, it makes all the difference!

Webby

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I rebuilt my box with new springs, bearings and of course converted to a plunger type spring. I left the original bushes as there seemed to be very little wear.
I have an occasional false neutral (if I remember correctly) between second and third. (I'm trying to kick the 20 odd years habit of left foot shifting out of my system) But overall I find the box is not too bad but you do need to give the pedal a good shove. As Plewsy says, get a good pair of boots, it makes all the difference!

Webby
Now Webby, a youngster like you has only recent experience.

I'm surprised old GAMBA has not come and said that this false neutral is a recent thing, relatively speaking.

I keep bragging about that old '64 Bonneville I rode. I have to say, missing gears was not something it did. Always dead reliable in a drag, or a racing downchange. No ***** footing technique, just jab it down and yank it up!

Now that other animal, the '72 V speed, is another matter. Caulky thought his was the only box giveing trouble, and when I first arrived here, so thought I. I think Caulky's question should have been, "does any V speed change reliably?". It seems the answer is no!!

I think I've read evey post, everywhere, on what might work, but I have yet to hear from any happy campers.

Like Webby, mine improved markedly with the installation of the older plunger and ditching the spring, and like him I'm happy enough with it. Listening to GAMBA, he seems to think the leaf spring V speed was at least OK, but then he does not ride the buggers.

Anyway, Caulky has a secret weapon, which he has agreed to share with me only. We may include others, depending on how nice you are to us. RR

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
:D
I hope you mean the camplate, thats the only secret weapon I`ve got!
Apart from another one, which hasn`t been used for years and is very unlikely to be required in the future. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Get a pair of heavier boots :)
If (like me) you've been brought up on rice burners with their silk like shifts that you could change in your bare feet (well, almost, you know what I mean :)) It doe's take some time to adapt, also if you've been used to shifting with your left foot, it takes a while to "calibrate" your right foot (also I've noticed, you can push as hard as you want on the gear change, but the bike will never stop :D)
Overall, I'm happy with my box, the occasional false neutral will probably disappear once I and the bike have done a few more miles togeather.

Webby

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'll miss a shift once or twice in a tank of gas. That's probably less frequently than on any of my other bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts