Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me.

Even Triumph refers to it as the "Eyebrow" badge.

But given the name of the make, it looks to me like a stylized version of the avian feature of "Winged Triumph."

It is a "Modern Classic," after all. :)

(What? Like I have something better to do on a Saturday night?)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Huh...... very well done.

Well lets make it official: The "Eyebrow" badge shall hence forth be known as the "Winged" Badge.

All in favor say "I"

btw, this is my favorite badge.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Greeks verify your "enlightened" observation...

Its definitely a wing and i think it makes sense.Eyebrow? Certainly not!!! What we have here is a typical example of the influence of the ancient Greek art on the modern western aesthetics.I have to comment though, that this is the statue of goddess "Niki", which the romans renamed as "Victoria". The root of the word "Triumph" is the greek word "Thriamvos". Its one of many greek words that were transfered to the latin language without significant changes. In modern greek "thriamvos" means "triumph", but this meaning was given by the romans. In ancient greece "thriamvos" was a hymn for the glory of Dionysous (Dionysos), the god of wine, the inspirer of ritual madness and ecstasy, a major figure of Greek mythology, and one of the twelve Olympians.
So,we are justified to make the assumption that metaphoricaly the badge is the "wing" of an "ecstatic" motorcycle...:D

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Man, I feel smarter just reading all this stuff. Do I get some college credit hours?
But seriously, Rogue, you have an eye to see what many do not. Good thread!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
reversal

Man, I feel smarter just reading all this stuff. Do I get some college credit hours?
But seriously, Rogue, you have an eye to see what many do not. Good thread!
But then, if the quote above is true thence "eyebrow" may, in fact, be the correct nomenclature. Actually it's getting into the "highbrow" neck of the woods.....how about "winged highbrow"

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
afterthought

Hey there enlightened one, would you share the year of the bike shown in the example above?
I'm kinda researching paint schemes for my tank and I like the simplicity of that one very much. I'm looking for something in the 50-60's era bikes.
Would you be so kind to post that info if you know it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey there enlightened one, would you share the year of the bike shown in the example above?
I'm kinda researching paint schemes for my tank and I like the simplicity of that one very much. I'm looking for something in the 50-60's era bikes.
Would you be so kind to post that info if you know it?
Certainly. :) Triumph switched from the egg-crate badge to the ... ahem ... "winged" badge on the vertical twins in 1966, and from the photos I have seen they used this particular version through 1968.

The source for the photo indicates it's a 1967 Tiger T100C. Here's a full photo of such a bike:

More photos of the 67 Tiger here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1967-triumph-t100c-tiger.htm

And here is a link with lots more photos of vintage Trumpets for more inspiration: http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike Directories/Triumph Bikes/Triumph Index.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts